Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:04:49 am

Author Topic: My EPIC and INTENSE VCE Journey  (Read 17097 times)

TigerMum

• Trendsetter
  • Master Procrastinator
  • Respect: +86
Re: My EPIC and INTENSE VCE Journey
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2019, 11:17:19 pm »
+6
Congrats on the awesome result for Methods :)
Do you have any advice on how to do well in Methods?(I'll be doing 1/2 next year)

Thank you so much!
I think the best thing for me is that I really enjoy the subject and what I am learning, so I often go ahead and complete future topics not because I am going to have a test on them but because I'm actually interested in learning about them. If you can get to this point with any subject, it becomes so much easier to study for because it won't ever feel like a chore.
In terms of more practical advice, I think regular practice of key concepts and getting a real understanding of WHY we do things a certain way rather than just knowing the formula is a real difference maker because a lot of those tricky extended response questions rely on understanding how the concept works, not just plugging values into formulas.
Best of luck for your LOTE 3/4 next year and VCE!

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2019, 09:45:47 am »
+3
Why commerce?  When did you figure out that that was your likely goal?

TigerMum

• Trendsetter
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2019, 10:52:06 am »
+4
Why commerce?  When did you figure out that that was your likely goal?

Thanks for asking!
I've always had an interest in economics and business; I enjoy having a flick through the Fin Review, but I never really thought I would pursue it as a career until late last year/early this year. I became attracted to it through my interest in maths, as I found the maths oriented commerce jobs very appealing and interesting, such as an actuary, areas in quantitative finance etc.
I was considering law at one point, but I did work experience in the legal group of a bank, and even though it was very fun, it made me realise I have to do something with maths in it. I've spent a lot of time investigating options at uni and my career and I think that studying Commerce is the best option for me.

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2019, 04:06:14 pm »
+2
Best of luck for your LOTE 3/4 next year and VCE!
Thanks for all the advice and good luck for Methods 3/4 next year and beyond :)

TigerMum

• Trendsetter
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2019, 06:28:48 pm »
+6
UPDATE: 5/11/2019

Been a while since I last posted, I hope all you guys doing your exams right now are doing well!
I've been sick over this long weekend with a bad cold, feeling pretty ordinary to be honest. It feels like I permanently alternate between 2 weeks healthy, 1 week sick, 2 weeks healthy, 1 week sick. I haven't gotten much sleep over the past few nights but luckily it's a long weekend so I could rest during the day. However, the worst thing is that I spent this whole weekend inside the house which was pretty boring.

I did a Calculus Test and Task last week for Methods and I screwed up the test. I got 42/47, which sounds decent but I was pretty disappointed considering how much effort I put into the topic. I only know my mark distribution as I haven't actually received the paper back yet. On the other hand, I did the task on Friday so I don't know my mark for that. A few of the questions were really ambiguous as to what they were asking, for example, I was supposed to "make a conclusion" based on some answers which I had found and I had no idea what conclusion I was supposed to be making. Anyway, I've been doing a lot of reading through the Methods 3/4 textbook and the Spesh 1/2 textbook and I'm really excited for both next year, well, the content at least, exams not so much...  :)

I'm really not motivated to study for most of my subjects at the moment, mostly the ones I won't be continuing with next year. For Religion we have to do this really boring Social Justice project and it's extremely tiring to even look at it. I just want to get my exams over and done with this year so I can actually focus on the subjects that I am doing next year (the ones I actually enjoy haha.)

Welp, not much else going on in my boring life lol, best of luck to everyone doing their final exams!

Sidenote: Anyone else here going for KLD? I'm going for it but I don't know anyone from any other school who is going for it.

Snow Leopard

• Forum Leader
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2019, 06:50:11 pm »
+1
When do you have your exams?

TigerMum

• Trendsetter
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2019, 10:11:07 pm »
+3
When do you have your exams?

My first exam is on this Wednesday coming up and my last one is on the Thursday of the following week. The ones I really care about are both Methods exams, English and Italian. The others I'm not continuing with next year so I'm not overly fussed with my result. How about you, when are your exams?

Snow Leopard

• Forum Leader
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2019, 10:21:11 pm »
+2
My first exam is on this Wednesday coming up and my last one is on the Thursday of the following week. The ones I really care about are both Methods exams, English and Italian. The others I'm not continuing with next year so I'm not overly fussed with my result. How about you, when are your exams?
Mine start on this coming Thursday and end on Thursday of the following week.
Good luck!

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2019, 05:44:10 pm »
+2
How was your first exam? Mine also started today! Did you have English? <3

TigerMum

• Trendsetter
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2019, 08:45:05 pm »
+3
How was your first exam? Mine also started today! Did you have English? <3

Pretty good, today I had English and Health & PE. The latter was a bit of a joke; I didn't really study for it as I'm not doing HHD or PE next year and it wasn't that hard either. (It probably would have been really easy if I had done more than just read over the PowerPoints and do two worksheets but whatever.)

English I was pretty happy with, we had to do an Analytical Essay and an Analysis of Arg and Lang. I did the arg and lang first, I found the piece we were looking at to be quite short (it was a letter to the editor) and there wasn't a whole lot to work with. My structure was a little bit wonky, (I only wrote two body paragraphs,) but that was mostly because there was only really two distinct arguments. My actual analysis I thought was quite good. I spent a bit too long on it though, so I was running against the clock when doing my Analytical. We studied Macbeth this semester and I thought the prompts were both quite reasonable. I finished quite literally with 5 seconds left and my hand almost fell off, but I thought I went OK. I'm just glad I got it done.

I can never tell how well I went on an English exam until I get my results so we'll have to wait and see. What about you, how was your first exam today?

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2019, 09:38:38 pm »
+2
I had English today. Like you, my language analysis was quite short. I had an introduction, a paragraph about the opening strategy and two about the other two arguments. I also had to write a comparative essay in the two-hour exam. Surprisingly, they both went well. Health (in Year 9/10) always feels like a bit of a joke. Do you have exams tomorrow? ;D

TigerMum

• Trendsetter
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2019, 09:46:45 pm »
+3
I had English today. Like you, my language analysis was quite short. I had an introduction, a paragraph about the opening strategy and two about the other two arguments. I also had to write a comparative essay in the two-hour exam. Surprisingly, they both went well. Health (in Year 9/10) always feels like a bit of a joke. Do you have exams tomorrow? ;D

Great job, hope you went really well on your exam! ;D Best of luck for the rest as well!
I probably could have split one of my paragraphs in half as it was quite a long paragraph but whatever. I have a history exam tomorrow on World War II and the Civil Rights Movements in Australia and the US. I'm not doing history next year so I'm not overly worried about it but I still want to do well of course.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2019, 09:51:31 pm »
+2
Great job, hope you went really well on your exam! ;D Best of luck for the rest as well!
I probably could have split one of my paragraphs in half as it was quite a long paragraph but whatever. I have a history exam tomorrow on World War II and the Civil Rights Movements in Australia and the US. I'm not doing history next year so I'm not overly worried about it but I still want to do well of course.
My history exam (on the exact same two topics, plus a subunit on migration) is tomorrow as well! What a weird coincidence. I found the way that the timelines of the civil rights movement and WW2 (and even migration) overlapped and effected each other super fascinating. Did you enjoy studying history?

TigerMum

• Trendsetter
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2019, 06:00:59 pm »
+5
UPDATE: 19/11/2019

Hi!
A big week of exams almost finished, bear with me as I hold forth on my latest exciting adventures.
I got an email from UoM just two hours ago notifying me that I got into Kwong Lee Dow! I'm honestly shocked, for two reasons; mostly because I didn't think I had that much of a chance and also because the university website said they were notifying students of the outcome on Friday in three days time, so you can imagine my surprise when the email miraculously appeared in my inbox on a lazy Tuesday afternoon.

I have powered through almost all of my all-important Year 10 exams; I only have my Methods exam 2 tomorrow left. I'm mostly happy with how I have gone so far, you can see my thoughts on my English and PE exams in one of my recent posts. This morning I had my Italian exam, I'm pretty satisfied with how I went, I found the listening comprehension to be somewhat easy when compared to previous exams and I think grammar and reading comprehension are my strongest points so they all went well. My essay was solid, I threw in a few jokes for the teacher such as the suggestion that I am going to Oxford University or that my favourite artists are "two very similar artists: Beethoven and Justin Bieber." I'm pretty cool, I know.
The only other exam I cared about was Methods exam 1, which was on Monday, and I honestly thought it was pretty easy, I finished the exam with plenty of leftover time and I was able to go over the paper twice. Here's hoping I fare similarly tomorrow.  I also have an AMEB piano exam on Thursday just in case I thought I didn't have enough exams going on, which should be a lot of fun.

I'm really happy that year 10 is finally over because I was getting a bit restless sitting through classes and classes of subjects that I wasn't going to continue with next year.
Congratulations to the VCE class of 2019 on finishing secondary school and your exams! Best of luck for whatever you want to pursue down the track!

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2019, 06:22:44 pm »
+3
I got an email from UoM just two hours ago notifying me that I got into Kwong Lee Dow!
-snip-
 I also have an AMEB piano exam on Thursday just in case I thought I didn't have enough exams going on, which should be a lot of fun.
As a Kwonger Class of 2014 myself (who ironically later studied at Monash), congrats and welcome to the fold. :)

Re: Piano Exam
What grade are you going for, if you don’t mind me asking? Good luck for it!
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread