Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:37:43 am

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 568065 times)  Share 

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
Re: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #1980 on: July 16, 2018, 08:59:37 pm »
+2
I know this is only a tiny thing but...
Is there a difference between plea bargaining and charge negotiation?
The textbook uses the terms interchangeably, however, they have both been options for a multiple choice question.

Hi!

From my very distant memory of this topic - no, I don't think so. I recall my teacher telling the class plea bargaining isn't a term used in Australia. Anyway, the syllabus uses the term charge negotiation so if in a MC question both plea bargaining and charge negotiation are both answers, and one of them has to be right maybe go for charge negotiation.

Hope this helps :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

henrychapman

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #1981 on: July 17, 2018, 11:39:15 pm »
+4
What's the best way to write legal studies notes? Hand-written or typed?

Might sound like a controversial response, but I would only really bother with notes for some of the crime section and the human rights section. My reasons are as follows:
- for crime and human rights, because they are tested short answer and multiple choice, its important you have a concrete grasp of the topics so that you can explicitly know the detail in answering questions and know which dot point that the question is alluding to. I have a full set of HR notes because they're short answer questions and thus 1) there is no time to waffle and 2) the markers are looking at your understanding of the content and you need to be sharp and explicit in your content. While I obviously don't want these to be overly dense, I want enough so that i can write as much as the exam desires. I would try be light in crime notes too to provide flexibility for the essay, something I will allude to with the options.
Whereas in the options, because they are tested in an essay form, it is more important that you know how to apply relevant information to a set question, rather then rote learning a bunch of content. What I would do is look at the past questions for your options, notice trends in questions and what is frequently asked and really hammer those aspects of the course. Obviously, definitions and stuff you need to know explicitly however the essays are testing your ability to link things you know to a given question and provide your own voice in it. This is why, for example with me for my last World Order task, the first part of the syllabus doesn't really give any essay questions and is just a basic overview of the concept. As long as I sorta get what's going on there, then I'm sweet. Then I got together a range of LCMD that could be flexible and be used in a range of questions, and as a lot of questions revolve around legal/non-legal measures, I would integrate the relevant evidence and write very brief notes on the mechanism just explaining what it is to ensure that the marker can see that I know the content. In short, it basically relies on you having an actual understanding of the topic, rather then just a memorisation of dot points. Not only will this save a stack of time because you will avoid writing notes on content you just don't really need, it reduces the likelihood that you will write out a pre-prepared response and annoy the marker that you didn't answer the question. In a topic like world order it is particularly important (I think) to learn the content in this way because all of the concepts revolve around each other.  I'm not saying memorisation is a bad thing necessarily because the fact of the matter is you need to memorise LCMD and aspects of the theory to get a good mark, but learning all the content in a linear format is not the way to go.
I guess in terms of study - just find what works best for you. Not writing syllabus dot points and rote learning for the options, though, is the way to go i feel
HSC 2018
English Advanced: 90
Economics: 92
Legal Studies: 92
Modern History: 91
Studies of Religion II: 88
History Extension: 41
ATAR: 96.60

2019: B. Commerce/Laws @ UNSW
I offer tutoring in those top 4 subjects above, at a very reasonable price. Have numerous resources as well. Send me a message for more info :)

Hello0there

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1982 on: July 18, 2018, 02:57:51 pm »
Hi!!

So I'm going through and doing all my family notes, and doing some essay scaffolds. How should I structure a law reform essay in terms of paragraph statements. I know I should put the 3 things I want to talk about in the introduction (I'm a fan of 3 body paragraphs), but for law reform, I feel like it's had to get 3 ideas. I'm working on a 'changing nature of parental responsibility' paragraph.

Should i just model each of my paragraphs for a time period? And then in each paragraph state what happened in this period that changed the law?

Sorry if this came out confusing!!!
Thank You

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #1983 on: July 18, 2018, 06:30:31 pm »
+3
Hi!!

So I'm going through and doing all my family notes, and doing some essay scaffolds. How should I structure a law reform essay in terms of paragraph statements. I know I should put the 3 things I want to talk about in the introduction (I'm a fan of 3 body paragraphs), but for law reform, I feel like it's had to get 3 ideas. I'm working on a 'changing nature of parental responsibility' paragraph.

Should i just model each of my paragraphs for a time period? And then in each paragraph state what happened in this period that changed the law?

Thank You

Hey!

Can't give a specific perspective on family law because I didn't study that topic, but for all reform questions I think the most critical elements that must come out in the essay is basically why did the law change or why was there an amendment to an exisiting law? Think about these different things:
* Conditions - why do they need to change?
* Agency - who recommends changes?
* Mechanisms - how does the law end up changing?

Then from here integrate your LCMD, etc.

If you are able to look at those three factors and look at the issues/themes you are studying, it might be easier to make a logical structure for your paragraph/notes. This is just one perspective to look at it. Maybe someone else can suggest another way :)

Hope this helps!
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW

NowYouTseMe

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #1984 on: July 18, 2018, 10:06:20 pm »
+3
Hi!!

Thank You

Hey there,
I'm personally a fan of 4 body paragraphs in the option topics, but 3 works too ahaha
If I were preparing for a reform question in Family and were doing 3 body paragraphs, I'd approach it by seeing which areas of family law have had consistent reform in response to society's changing values such as divorce, dispute resolution and child maintenance.
Then, I'd structure my paragraphs on those based on how effective or ineffective the reform to the present state has been in terms of meeting society's changing values with associated LCMDs as evidence of this.

hope this helps
HSC 2016
Information Processes and Technology: 90

HSC 2018
Advanced English: 95 | Extension 1 English: 47 | Extension 2 English: 42 | Legal Studies: 95 | Modern History: 94 | French Continuers: 84 | Mathematics Advanced: 89

LAT 2018: 88 (90th Percentile)

ATAR: 98.05

anjaliaiyer

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1985 on: July 19, 2018, 08:47:37 pm »
Hi! I'm currently studying world order and with trials coming up I was looking over the themes and challenges. On the whole they're pretty easy to articulate to the concepts of WO, but I'm getting stuck on the role of law reform in promoting and maintaining WO, as well as the impact of changing values and ethical standards on world order. I was wondering if someone could please give me a hand in understanding this? Thank you!

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1986 on: July 19, 2018, 09:21:47 pm »
+2
Hi! I'm currently studying world order and with trials coming up I was looking over the themes and challenges. On the whole they're pretty easy to articulate to the concepts of WO, but I'm getting stuck on the role of law reform in promoting and maintaining WO, as well as the impact of changing values and ethical standards on world order. I was wondering if someone could please give me a hand in understanding this? Thank you!

Hey!

I did world order as well and what I found when I did essay plans for each of the themes and challenges was that law reform and changing values and ethical standards go hand in hand. So law reform basically is a new law or an amendment to the law was introduced to assist in resolving different issues. For example for R2P you could use something like this

Following the atrocities of WW2, there was a move towards internationally recognised standards of global protection - CHANGING VALUES OF THE COMMUNITY AS A RESULT OF THE ATROCITIES OF WW2

or

R2P was adopted in response to conflicts of Rwanda and Former Yugoslavia where the UN acted as a ‘bystander not a protector’ - CHANGING VALUES OF THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY THAT THEY WOULD NO LONGER BE A BYSTANDER BUT BE REACTIVE TO ALL GLOBAL SITUATIONS

The above statement can be flipped so its law reform - INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY THOUGHT THEY NEEDED LEGISLATION TO PREVENT CRIMES AGAINST HUMANITY

This is just an example I pulled straight from my essay plans and my half yearly essay which happened to be on the changing values and ethical standards theme and challenge.

Hope this helps somehow ;D
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1987 on: July 21, 2018, 06:01:34 pm »
Hey!!

Could someone please explain why for the partial defence of substantial impairment of responsibility, the standard of proof is on the balance of probabilities rather than beyond reasonable doubt?

Thank you :)

Thomasaa

• Adventurer
« Reply #1988 on: July 29, 2018, 11:01:28 am »
Hey,

Is self defence and necessity a partial or complete defence? My teacher said that they're complete defences but the 2017 HSC multiple choice (Q.18) says that self defence can be used as a partial defence.

Thanks

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #1989 on: July 29, 2018, 11:36:05 am »
Hey,

Is self defence and necessity a partial or complete defence? My teacher said that they're complete defences but the 2017 HSC multiple choice (Q.18) says that self defence can be used as a partial defence.

Thanks

Hi!

I've got both self defence and necessity written as complete defences. In reference to that question, I think it's the most correct out of the options given. I remember being really stumped on this question - I think I did a "when in doubt choose C" then lol

Happy to hear from others about this question!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1990 on: July 29, 2018, 12:23:43 pm »
+2
Hey,

Thanks

Hey!

After looking at the question, self-defence is probably the 'most correct answer'. I feel like they are referring here to a situation where someone could be like charged with murder and then used self defence, therefore instead of being acquitted their charges just dropped to something like manslaughter. This is how I see it imo :)

NowYouTseMe

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #1991 on: July 29, 2018, 01:40:58 pm »
+1
Hey,

Thanks

Hey there,
Self-defence is normally a complete defence, but in the case R v Silva (2015), self-defence was used as a defence but Justice Peter Johnson ruled the offender's force to be 'excessive' and thus only granted a partial defence to murder, setting new precedent in common law for 'excessive self-defence' to be a partial defence.

Hope this helps
HSC 2016
Information Processes and Technology: 90

HSC 2018
Advanced English: 95 | Extension 1 English: 47 | Extension 2 English: 42 | Legal Studies: 95 | Modern History: 94 | French Continuers: 84 | Mathematics Advanced: 89

LAT 2018: 88 (90th Percentile)

ATAR: 98.05

Thomasaa

• Adventurer
« Reply #1992 on: July 29, 2018, 01:48:46 pm »
Thanks for the help guys! :)

raylmao

• Adventurer
  • et tu, brute?
« Reply #1993 on: July 29, 2018, 04:00:21 pm »
I know this is only a tiny thing but...
Is there a difference between plea bargaining and charge negotiation?
The textbook uses the terms interchangeably, however, they have both been options for a multiple choice question.

plea-bargaining is no longer in operation within NSW
2018 HSC:
3U English, Modern History, History Extension, Legal Studies, Economics.

Rachel_2019

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1994 on: July 31, 2018, 03:48:14 pm »
Hey! I was just wondering if anyone could answer my question!
I am new to atarnotes and learning how to use it properly, so bear with me!
My question is, does anyone know which schools in Western Australia teach or have the course of ATAR Legal Studies or any Law or Politics course?
Thanks so much!
Rachel