Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 12:22:23 am

Author Topic: What is the ideal way to study for biology year 12?  (Read 1236 times)  Share 

Maroon and Gold Never Fold

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
What is the ideal way to study for biology year 12?
« on: January 17, 2021, 05:23:20 pm »
I have always been good with my content for biology, however, when it gets to exams I find it a bit challenging. I never know how much to write for each question, how extensive I have to go, how many things I have to mention in the question.

What is the ideal way to study for biology? Because I just aimlessly to flash cards and revise content which doesn't seem to help when in an actual exam.

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
Re: How to study for biology year 12
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 06:28:29 pm »
+9
I have always been good with my content for biology, however, when it gets to exams I find it a bit challenging. I never know how much to write for each question, how extensive I have to go, how many things I have to mention in the question.

What is the ideal way to study for biology? Because I just aimlessly to flash cards and revise content which doesn't seem to help when in an actual exam.

Hey Maroon and Gold Never Fold!
This is a good question and I have provided some advice below. :)

1. How Much to Write for Each Question and How Many Things to Mention in the Question:
It depends upon the mark value for each question; for example, when given a 5 marker define the key word/s, then provide the marker with a bit more information on that definition, then give a clear succinct answer to the question and provide one or two examples to back up this point.

But generally, when I approach HSC Biology questions, I always try to use a structure that covers all bases. For Example, firstly define any important keywords in the question, then the second sentence should provide some background information of that definition, the third and/ or fourth sentence should get right into the meat of the question (including examples, details or statistics), then the fifth sentence should sum up your points. This structure can be moulded and adjusted to suit any question type.

For Example:
Describe how both Meiosis and Mitosis help to ensure the continuity of a species (3 Marks)
1. Define Meiosis
2. Next, describe how Meiosis assists in ensuring the continuity of a species and provide some more information
3. Define Mitosis
4. Describe how Mitosis assists in ensuring the continuity of a species and provide some more information

2. How Extensive I Have to Go:
Just like the above, how extensive you go with a question depends on the mark value. But regardless of mark value, I would always ensure to include:
🧬Examples - Providing examples in an answer to a question gives you the opportunity to back up your response with evidence
🧬Short Facts - Illustrates you have gone beyond the syllabus and have researched information outside the prescribed focus (but keep it relevant)
🧬Detail - Providing succinct and precise detail is what differentiates a Band 5 response from a Band 6 response, as it demonstrates a scientifically accurate response; EG. Correct terminology

Ideal Way to Study for Biology Overall
HSC Biology, in essence, is about the application of content, it is great that a student may thoroughly understand and know the content, but if they don't know how to approach, apply content and answer a question in a real exam situation, then the student may miss out on marks. To fix this, I recommend that after each lesson (or before) in class, you attempt questions specifically aimed towards the dot point you were working on. For Example, if in class you were on topic Cell Replication (Mod 5) and dot point #2, you could go home that afternoon and find some past HSC questions on that specific dot point or create your own questions, then attempt these. Each time you attempt exam-style type questions, you over time become more comfortable with the examination style questions you will inevitably encounter in the HSC.

Just as important as study notes are, I believe attempting exam-style questions are equally as important. It is wise to attempt questions from varying difficulties, to gain a wider scope and expand knowledge upon what NESA can possibly ask of you (easy - medium - hard). This ensures that you are well prepared to face any question you could receive.

You can find past HSC Biology exams on the NESA website, but, if you run out or want something different, you could ask your teachers if they have any past trial exams or questions from school that you can attempt and ask your teacher if they could mark your responses.

I hope this helps and goodluck with the rest of your HSC! :)
Coolmate 8)
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

Maroon and Gold Never Fold

• Trailblazer
Re: What is the ideal way to study for biology year 12?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 08:40:01 pm »
+1
thanks a lot for that

bambii

• Adventurer
Re: What is the ideal way to study for biology year 12?
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 08:47:05 pm »
Flashcards (Anki or Quizlet) are the best way as they force you to actively recall information, which is the best way to study and learn.

Do not memorise the content, try to understand it as best you can - if you don't understand something, revist the concept and look at alternative sources. If you're memorising biology, you're doing it wrong.

Exam technique will be the differentiating factor between band 5 and band 6. Make sure you go through past papers and be self aware! Make sure that you understand everything that should be in your answers - sample answers and marking criteria are your best friends.
1st in Trials at Sydney Grammar | 99 in the external exam for Chemistry

3rd in Trials at Sydney Grammar | HD in Biology Olympiad | 95 in external exam for Biology

Email me private tutoring or notes for Chemistry/Biology: [email protected]