Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 11:39:43 pm

Author Topic: B and T cells  (Read 3081 times)  Share 

Ayyddaan

• Adventurer
  • Is this meant to be a motivational quote?
  • Respect: 0
B and T cells
« on: August 02, 2016, 07:35:26 pm »
+1
Could someone please explain the mechanisms that allow interaction between B and T cells?? (INCLUDING MHC molecules?)
HSC Subjects:
(Adv) English
Ext 2 Math
Ext 1 Math
Biology
Business Studies
Chemistry

Ayyddaan

• Adventurer
  • Is this meant to be a motivational quote?
Re: B and T cells
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 12:20:04 am »
Direct yourselves to the bottom of the 'biology question thread' where this question was answered lol
HSC Subjects:
(Adv) English
Ext 2 Math
Ext 1 Math
Biology
Business Studies
Chemistry

Sa1998

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 10:47:25 am »
can someone explain third line of defence pleassseeee :-\

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 08:13:33 pm »
In case you are a fan of cheesy youtube videos - here is one here (dont lie you love them ;D)

Otherwise direct yourself to the points I am about to discuss (please add to mine anyone if you want).The third line of defense will be shortened 3rd LoD because im too lazy to type it out ok? :D

-The 3rd LoD is specific unlike the other two.
-The third line of defence is activated when the pathogen has entered the body and surpassed the first two lines of defence. When a pathogen gets ingested by a phagocyte it displays its antigens on its surface.

-It consists of two stages: Cell Based Immunity and Humoral Immunity (i think this one is also called "antibody mediated immunity" in some texts)

Cell based immunity
Cell mediated immunity is a specific immune response that involves T lymphocytes that mediate an immune response not with antibodies, but rather with antigen-specific cytotoxic T cells and the release of cytokines. Along with humoral immunity, cell-mediated immunity forms part of the third line of defence. The two types of third line of defence mechanisms although considered to be separate entitires, interact during the immune response.

1. Macrophages reveal antigens to T Cells.
2. T cells with receptors are stimulated and divided resulting in more cells through the process of clonal expansion to produce cells with the same receptor.
3. These cells move to the infection area except for memory T cells
4. The cytotoxic T cells 'match' with the antigens and secrete cytokines that kill invading antigens
5. Helper T cells stimulate the Plasma B Cells (from the humoral response) to make antibodies.
6. Memory T cells remember the infection so further infections do not occur

EDIT: Oops forgot the humoral immunity! Notes are below

Humoral Immunity
The humoral response is a specific immune response that involves B lymphocytes recognizing antigens that are circulating in the blood or the lymph. Along with cell-mediated immunity, humoral immunity forms part of the third line of defence. The two types of third line of defence mechanisms although considered to be separate entities, interact during the immune response

Antibodies are key to this part of the 3rd LoD so a picture is attached below :) (Remember that each antibody responds/binds/engulfs a specific antigen)

This is just a brief outline on the third line of defense, but it is important you know this as examiners love to ask questions like this.

Hope I helped :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 08:21:01 pm by studybuddy7777 »

Skidous

• Forum Obsessive
  • It's never to late to start, so just get it done
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 04:17:15 pm »
can someone explain third line of defence pleassseeee :-\

For future reference, great seeing new people on the board btw, if you have any more questions try to direct them at the question thread that is stickied at the top of this board

Edit: Added link for easy reference.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 04:19:21 pm by Aaron »
ATAR: 93

English (Advanced): 88
Mathematics: 81
Biology: 91
Physics: 85
Chemistry: 82
Studies of Religion (2 Unit): 88

Most of my knowledge lies in Bio so ask me anything on that

nibblez16

• Forum Regular
  • School: Liverpool Girls
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 01:06:31 pm »
Thank for the third line of defence explanations :)