Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:26:18 am

Author Topic: HSC Ancient History Question Thread  (Read 71949 times)  Share 

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: HSC Ancient History Question Thread
« Reply #180 on: March 27, 2019, 10:07:47 pm »
+3
Hi Atar notes.

When you have a question for example:
"Assess the contribution of at least TWO Greek Leaders to the Greek Victory in the Persian wars."

Would you only talk about two leaders or talk about another in order to acheive a higher band response. Also, if I was to do so, how would I structure it out?
Thanks  :)

Hey, alyssastrebel!

I didn't do Ancient but since the question is asking for at least TWO Greek leaders, and not only TWO Greek leaders, I'd imagine that as long as you have the "at least", you can have as many leader case study examples as you wish  :) Having two or three does not guarantee a higher band response. If having two is enough for you to present a sophisticated and well-executed argument for your essay, then do two. If having three will give you more room for discussion and present an equally sophisticated and well-executed argument, then do three. It's definitely more about what you write about, as opposed to how much you write.

As for structure, I'd assume you would have each leader as one of your bodies and integrate historical evidence throughout the essay. Two bodies for two leaders, three bodies for three  :D Would be good if someone who did Ancient can confirm my answers  ;D Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #181 on: March 27, 2019, 10:20:07 pm »
+3
Hey, alyssastrebel!

I didn't do Ancient but since the question is asking for at least TWO Greek leaders, and not only TWO Greek leaders, I'd imagine that as long as you have the "at least", you can have as many leader case study examples as you wish  :) Having two or three does not guarantee a higher band response. If having two is enough for you to present a sophisticated and well-executed argument for your essay, then do two. If having three will give you more room for discussion and present an equally sophisticated and well-executed argument, then do three. It's definitely more about what you write about, as opposed to how much you write.

As for structure, I'd assume you would have each leader as one of your bodies and integrate historical evidence throughout the essay. Two bodies for two leaders, three bodies for three  :D Would be good if someone who did Ancient can confirm my answers  ;D Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D

Just to add onto Angelina's fantastic above, two will be the minimum amount of leaders you'll have to talk about! I actually did this topic during the HSC. You can potentially look into Leonidas and how he guided the 300 Spartans during the Battle of Thermopylae. Themistocles is a fantastic choice for the Battle of Salamis since he strategically planned the Greeks' moves whilst the Persians idiotically decide to look for the Greeks the night before the battle and worn themselves out before the battle even begun! Aristides did stuff for the Battle of Plataea as well since him and the Greeks pretty much annihilated the surviving Persians who escaped the Battle of Salamis. Miltiades set up the foundations at the Battle of Marathon (the very first Greco-Persian war from what I can remember) because of his fantastic tactics and maintaining the Greek morale while the Persians had no idea what they were doing most of the time.

Hope this helps :)
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

alyssastrebel

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #182 on: March 30, 2019, 03:18:32 pm »
Hi Atar Notes,

When given a source quote from an ancient historian that needs to be reference in a 25 maker essay question, whats the best way of intigrating it into the essay along with your own sources and information?

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
  • When you realise Kpop exists... the world is good.
  • Respect: -4
« Reply #183 on: April 09, 2019, 01:10:44 pm »
Hi Atar notes.

When you have a question for example:
"Assess the contribution of at least TWO Greek Leaders to the Greek Victory in the Persian wars."

Would you only talk about two leaders or talk about another in order to acheive a higher band response. Also, if I was to do so, how would I structure it out?
Thanks  :)

Here you need to judge / assess the contribution of the two leaders chosen first. Make sure to choose two which did assist in greek victory.

For a high band you will need to definitely talk about the two leaders succinctly with each other. For your next question i would structure it in a way that it answers the dot point related to the question. I would check the criteria for more information and use your PEEL/TEAL/TEEL/PEAL structure to write your response. Here your thesis will be the effectiveness of both leaders to greek victory. Was for example ( btw my class has just started this unit) Leonidas a great leader? Did he impact the agoge properly? What strategies or teachings led to this feat?

In order to ace ancient history ( btw not to show off but im a 5 to 6 band student in ancient history), you really need to cut out every piece of information you can possibly do so! You will need to make links to everything and show to the marker how great of a student and great knowledge you possess for the ancient history subject!

goodluck! :)
-KgkG-

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #184 on: April 18, 2019, 03:48:19 pm »
Hey Guys! wanted thoughts on these q's and my answers: ( btw the questions are for note purposes only):

Summary:
What does the evidence reveal about life in ancient Pompeii and Herculaneum? ( what does political life reveal?)

Political life reveals the structure of how Pompeii and Herculaneum were set out. Both followed political institutions of the comitum, magistracy and the ordo decurionium. Pompeii and Herculaneum both had aediles supervising markets and public works however there were only trace differences. Herculaneum had quaestors, individuals who manage the town's finances. Sources of local political life can be seen in programmatta, to be specific, they are seen in statue buildings such as the basilica noniana made in honour of Marcus Nonius Balbus. Another relationship both cities shared between the patron-client relationship. This relationship was a mutual obligation between a patron who is freeborn and a client who is a lower class individual. Both could support each other on campaigns and legal matters. A source which describes the relationship best is the statue of eumachia by the guild of fullers. The fullers were the clients and eumachia was the patron.

AND 2:

Summary:
What does the evidence reveal about life in ancient Pompeii and Herculaneum?

The evidence suggests that both herculaneum and pompeii had devoted occupations towards sex, bakery, garum trading and oil trading however, Herculaneum was more lenient towards the fishing industry as compared to Pompeii more industrious image in all fields.

( this one is in relation to the economy)
-KgkG-

Gavan_Ja

• Adventurer
« Reply #185 on: April 19, 2019, 06:49:05 pm »
G'day everyone!

Obviously enjoying some Ancient as I type this! I just wanted to say, I'm a huge bookworm. On that note, I'm looking for a few books that I can get for each Ancient topic I'm doing. Does anyone have any good recommendations that are related to the new syllabus? (Bloody NESA) My topics are:
- SPARTA!!!!
- Fall of the Roman Republic (I've got Scullard and Shotter if that's enough)
- Julius Caesar (I have a fair few on him like Freedman, Goldsworthy, Suetonius and Plutarch but are there any other good books on him?)
- Cities of Vesuvius (I've got Bradley's textbook but she's not a historian)

Thank y'all  ;)

Anyone know any good podcasts for Sparta, Fall of the Roman Republic, Julius Caesar or Cities of Vesuvius?

Cheers, Jack

Mod edit: merged posts :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 07:08:36 pm by katie,rinos »

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #186 on: April 19, 2019, 07:05:35 pm »
G'day everyone!

Obviously enjoying some Ancient as I type this! I just wanted to say, I'm a huge bookworm. On that note, I'm looking for a few books that I can get for each Ancient topic I'm doing. Does anyone have any good recommendations that are related to the new syllabus? (Bloody NESA) My topics are:
- SPARTA!!!!
- Fall of the Roman Republic (I've got Scullard and Shotter if that's enough)
- Julius Caesar (I have a fair few on him like Freedman, Goldsworthy, Suetonius and Plutarch but are there any other good books on him?)
- Cities of Vesuvius (I've got Bradley's textbook but she's not a historian)

Thank y'all  ;)

Anyone know any good podcasts for Sparta, Fall of the Roman Republic, Julius Caesar or Cities of Vesuvius?

Cheers, Jack

Hey,
We have an Ancient History reading/resource guide here, and a huge list of podcasts here!!

Hope they help!!  ;D
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

alyssastrebel

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #187 on: June 12, 2019, 08:05:52 pm »
Hi Atar Notes,

Need some help with structuring a response to a question on Xerxes.

To what extent was Xerxes a successful ruler? -20 marks

Also wondering which dot points in the syllabus would be best to focus on.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #188 on: June 12, 2019, 10:18:51 pm »
+2
Hi Atar Notes,

Need some help with structuring a response to a question on Xerxes.

To what extent was Xerxes a successful ruler? -20 marks

Also wondering which dot points in the syllabus would be best to focus on.

Hello!

You can go both ways with this question (though it is important to stick with one point of view). It's been a while since I've done the HSC so you'll just need to double check if my information is correct aha.

Why Xerxes was a successful ruler:
- Started the royal road
- Finished the buildings at Persepolis that his father started but never finished (building programme at Persepolis)
- Persian Empire was very organised, expanded the empire and military

Why he wasn't a successful ruler:
- Persian failure during Persian Wars (most especially the Battle of Salamis)= impacted how the Persians perceived Xerxes after the Persian wars
- Xerxes never participated during the war and sat back; unlike the Greek leaders who actually joined their soldiers on the battlefield.
- Revolts at Babylon and Egypt (as a result of the changeover from Darius to Xerxes)

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #189 on: June 17, 2019, 02:39:10 pm »
does anybody know why the ephorates were aged 30?

i mean had to be?

Mod edit: Merged posts :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 03:47:03 pm by katie,rinos »
-KgkG-

hums_student

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +520
« Reply #190 on: June 17, 2019, 03:40:03 pm »
+4

The ephors didn't have to be 30, they just had to be at least 30 years of age or over.

I don't think there are any sources (that I know of) which precisely states the reason behind the age restriction, however the ephors were among the most powerful men in Ancient Sparta. They 'had control over the kings' (Herodotus), enjoyed 'supreme auhority' (Aristotle), and 'swore on behalf of the city' (Xenophon), so it would make sense for the Spartans to impose some form of criteria, in particular regarding age as it would be unwise to appoint someone with little to no political experience. Hope that helps!

By the way, might want to just modify your original post next time intead of making a new post. :)
2019-21: Bachelor of Arts (Politics & Int'l Relations / Economics)

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #191 on: June 17, 2019, 05:39:49 pm »
+4

i mean had to be?

Mod edit: Merged posts :)

Just adding onto hums_student's fantastic answer above- it does make sense for the Ephors to be at least 30 years of age because men finish the agoge at the age of 30 and that's when they become a full citizen (a homoioi) and can exercise their political rights however they want to.

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #192 on: June 17, 2019, 06:30:12 pm »
The ephors didn't have to be 30, they just had to be at least 30 years of age or over.

I don't think there are any sources (that I know of) which precisely states the reason behind the age restriction, however the ephors were among the most powerful men in Ancient Sparta. They 'had control over the kings' (Herodotus), enjoyed 'supreme auhority' (Aristotle), and 'swore on behalf of the city' (Xenophon), so it would make sense for the Spartans to impose some form of criteria, in particular regarding age as it would be unwise to appoint someone with little to no political experience. Hope that helps!

By the way, might want to just modify your original post next time intead of making a new post. :)

Thanks and ps how do I modify?
-KgkG-

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #193 on: June 17, 2019, 06:31:51 pm »
Thanks and ps how do I modify?
You need to press the modify button up near quote on your post. :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 06:36:07 pm by katie,rinos »
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #194 on: June 18, 2019, 10:37:05 am »
is this referring to ekklesia as the elders? : According to Plato, its combination with the kings’ arrogant rule, and the right to an equal vote on the most important matters, produced security and at the same time sound sense... by placing the office of the Elders in the middle as a kind of ballast, and thus striking a balance, it found the safest arrangement and organisation, with the twenty-eight Elders always siding with the kings when it was a matter of resisting democracy, yet in turn reinforcing the people against the development of tyranny.” (Plutarch, Life of Lycurgus, 5)
-KgkG-