Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 11:49:56 pm

Author Topic: [HSC] What Subjects Should We Lecture Next?  (Read 4422 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
[HSC] What Subjects Should We Lecture Next?
« on: May 14, 2018, 07:15:15 pm »
+12
Our next set of lectures is being held in the July school holidays, on the 16th-20th July (more deets coming soonish). Obviously we are beyond keen for this - Lectures are the best part of our year. When we hold them, we pretty much have one mission:

WE WANT OUR LECTURES TO BE USEFUL TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE!

This is why we make them free, so anyone can come no matter their background. But another part of this is offering a heap of subjects, and we want your input into what subjects we add next.

This is not a bullshit poll. The subject(s) that people are most interested in are almost definitely going to be added to our lineup. Have you ever come to us and said, "We wish you'd lecture ________?" This is your chance to make that happen.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: [HSC] What Subjects Should We Lecture Next?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 07:20:22 pm »
Can I just say, if English Extension 1 goes ahead I'm gonna be REALLY curious as to what will be covered in it

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 07:21:34 pm »
Can I just say, if English Extension 1 goes ahead I'm gonna be REALLY curious as to what will be covered in it

We have our plans, but we'd be keen to hear what others would want too.

EX1 students, what would you have us cover in an EX1 lecture? What about EX2? :)

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 07:32:11 pm »
+1
Really curious how the less popular humanities subjects such as Geography, Community and Family Studies, Society & Culture and History Extension would play out in the lectures. Also creative subjects such as Visual Arts, Drama and Music would be so cool to learn in a lecture but I'm not 100% sure how this would work out as there isn't much content in them compared to other subjects.
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 07:40:21 pm »
+2
Really curious how the less popular humanities subjects such as Geography, Community and Family Studies, Society & Culture and History Extension would play out in the lectures. Also creative subjects such as Visual Arts, Drama and Music would be so cool to learn in a lecture but I'm not 100% sure how this would work out as there isn't much content in them compared to other subjects.
The electives also make it difficult to make sure everyone can find the lectures useful. Susie's told me how reteaching WW1 gets repetitive and awkward for those who attended her previous lectures. It's also really difficult to tell someone how to do their Major Work because it really depends on the topic.

I guess the best way to teach Humanities subjects is to go through the core content and skills (for SAC, I would probably think going through the Major Work and SAC concepts).

Also, whoever's gonna read these responses, I feel like I wrote quite a bit in some of the questions (especially in the second question where it's supposed to be a 'short answer') so have fun with that lol
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 10:08:51 pm »
+6
The electives also make it difficult to make sure everyone can find the lectures useful. Susie's told me how reteaching WW1 gets repetitive and awkward for those who attended her previous lectures. It's also really difficult to tell someone how to do their Major Work because it really depends on the topic.

I guess the best way to teach Humanities subjects is to go through the core content and skills (for SAC, I would probably think going through the Major Work and SAC concepts).

Also, whoever's gonna read these responses, I feel like I wrote quite a bit in some of the questions (especially in the second question where it's supposed to be a 'short answer') so have fun with that lol
If there's one thing I've realised from lecturing subjects where 75% of the content isn't core, its that you think you won't have enough to talk about but you DEFINITELY do (I can just barely get through Pompeii and Herculaneum!). Looking back at last year, I believe my most useful Modern lecture was Trials by far - no World War I content, purely skills. I've always believed the true benefit of an AN lecture isn't the content overview, but hearing the experiences of someone who was in exactly your position only a few years ago. That's something you truely can't beat imo - practical advice, without the fluff, or the techy, teachery jargon. I'd say that this would definitely be the same for all the subjects listed, the lecturer will just have to think outside of the box (which will most likely lead to a super interesting and unique lecture experience)!

I'm super excited to hear more subjects are being considered! All of the subjects listed are just so neglected across the board, would love to see them get some well deserved attention (and help! because they can all be tricky subjects in their own right). Can't wait to see whats to come  :)

also history extension lectures would be a dream <3 But like, i'm totally not biased or anything ; )

FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 10:23:31 pm »
+3
I've always believed the true benefit of an AN lecture isn't the content overview, but hearing the experiences of someone who was in exactly your position only a few years ago. That's something you truely can't beat imo - practical advice, without the fluff, or the techy, teachery jargon
And the memes! Your memes are always on point!

But yeah, it's much better to hear someone who's gone through the system recently rather than someone who did the HSC with the old syllabus, although I think it depends on the person- some want to go for content revision, some may want to go for advice. And it's for free! Who would wanna turn down free stuff?
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 10:38:22 pm »
+5
And the memes! Your memes are always on point!
this girl's smart! think she could be our next lecturer jamon ;)
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

prickles

• Forum Obsessive
  • Goals are just dreams with deadlines
  • Respect: +268
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 10:40:02 pm »
+4
also history extension lectures would be a dream <3 But like, i'm totally not biased or anything ; )

Extension history lectures would be The Best Thing Ever. With or without memes with please

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 10:45:28 pm »
+3
this girl's smart! think she could be our next lecturer jamon ;)

I mean if the meme fits ;)

Extension history lectures would be The Best Thing Ever. With or without memes with please

I'm sensing a popular theme ;D

kimfisher

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 10:47:42 pm »
+3
HSC Drama please! Stuff like how to write drama essay in an effective manner, its structure and general tips would be awesome. I honestly just don't know how to get those 2/3 extra marks when it comes to drama essays (and yes I've read the thread on how to write drama essays without dying theatrically hahaha). Also, some advice on group projects and what examiners are looking for would be great.

As for Modern History, I totally agree with Susie that skills would be super helpful!! I think modelling a sample response, deconstructing a question and source analysis would extremely helpfu :)

NowYouTseMe

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 11:08:39 pm »
+2
We have our plans, but we'd be keen to hear what others would want too.

EX1 students, what would you have us cover in an EX1 lecture? What about EX2? :)

Just my two cents but I feel like if EX1 lectures were going to be run, they'd have to be split up by module(ie Genre, Texts and Ways of Thinking, Language and Values) just because of how different each one is in terms of approach, metalanguage and concept. Even in saying that, each elective is relatively different as well, so lectures would either be super broad and not too useful or specific to just ATB and Romanticism in favour of less popular electives like Science Fiction or Textual Dynamics. I guess what I'm trying to say is that, even as an EX1 student, I feel like EX1 lectures wouldn't be easy to run well and would probably not really a worthwhile lecture to attend or run.

The idea of EX2 lectures faces a similar problem in terms of its scope where there are many unique aspects to an individual's major work which don't transfer over to another person's ie text type, context, content. Hence, EX2 lectures would share the same problem with EX1 in that it'd be extremely difficult to cater to a broader audience because of a lack of consistent syllabus structure across the subject.
HSC 2016
Information Processes and Technology: 90

HSC 2018
Advanced English: 95 | Extension 1 English: 47 | Extension 2 English: 42 | Legal Studies: 95 | Modern History: 94 | French Continuers: 84 | Mathematics Advanced: 89

LAT 2018: 88 (90th Percentile)

ATAR: 98.05

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 11:20:57 pm »
HSC Drama please! Stuff like how to write drama essay in an effective manner, its structure and general tips would be awesome. I honestly just don't know how to get those 2/3 extra marks when it comes to drama essays (and yes I've read the thread on how to write drama essays without dying theatrically hahaha). Also, some advice on group projects and what examiners are looking for would be great.

As for Modern History, I totally agree with Susie that skills would be super helpful!! I think modelling a sample response, deconstructing a question and source analysis would extremely helpfu :)

Welcome to the forums!! Thanks for your thoughts - Be sure to do the survey above and mention Drama so it can be tallied in the counts! ;D

Just my two cents...

+1ed, thanks for your insights NowYouTseMe! Trust me, the issues you've raised have been mentioned heaps in our discussions about this. We won't do the lecture unless we think it will be beneficial (and of course, people actually want it). We like a challenge ;)

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2018, 11:26:28 pm »
If subjects like CAFS, SOR, modern and  societies /culture and ancient were to run, I'd like to see more options being done!

CAFS has a few options topics such as:
-  Family and Societal Interactions
- Social Impact of Technology
-  Individuals and Work 

SOR is just HUGE as there are so many religions and culture is kind of big too as there are many options as well.
- Popular Culture
- Belief Systems and Ideologies
- Social Inclusion and Exclusion
- Social Conformity and Nonconformity

Iirc, the current lectures only dealt with 1 or two options and did not deal with the others (which other students could have done)...

I feel like there could be say two lectures for topics dealing with options..
- Modern lecture 1: Main content
- Modern lecture 2: Topics

- SOR lecture 1: Main content
- SOR lecture 2: Topics

I also do understand the logistics of it all, but it would cool if it could be done =)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 11:28:46 pm by EEEEEEP »

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2018, 08:39:43 pm »
+1
I responded to the survey two days ago and I think I put Ext 1 Eng as the one I wanted most because it's probably the most difficult subject I have alongside Modern.

I'd love to attend a SAC lecture so I can meet a few of the lovely people I've met on this forum and thank them in person for responding to my PIP  ;D It would be a good way to revise all the core content in detail as well because I feel more concerned about them than the Depth Studies.

It'd be good if there as a Visual Arts one that went over the art timeline, conventions of each period or movement. I know heaps about certain movements, but not so much about others. I think skills based lectures for the CAPA subjects would be helpful. I'd definitely attend a Music 1 lecture even though I don't study it because it might be useful for me somehow too.

Regardless of what runs, I will definitely be at the next lectures  ;D I had heaps of fun for the lectures I attended and would be interested to see if there's any new additions  :D

-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music