Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 07:52:46 pm

Author Topic: Should I Change My Arts Minor?  (Read 404 times)  Share 

brynstar

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +17
Should I Change My Arts Minor?
« on: May 16, 2019, 09:44:53 pm »
Hi there! So I'm in my first semester of an Arts/Law double degree and having second thoughts about what my minor should be.

I'm majoring in French because it was my favourite high school subject so I opted for Spanish as my minor because I love languages and it seemed to complement French well. However, there are a few things I don't like about introductory Spanish:
- All of the tutorials are run very much like high school classes so can be boring sometimes
- The combination of two languages plus Law and two oral exams at the end of semester is kind of a killer
- I love the culture and history stuff we learn but it's never assessed in any meaningful way, we just do multiple choice quizzes

So I was wondering whether I should switch to Literary Studies. Lit was my best high school subject and I'm very passionate about classic literature, especially Shakespeare. Equally, I feel there are a few disadvantages to doing Lit:
- Less employable if I want to work in international law, even if it's fun
- There's apparently a lot of reading and not much time spent on each text

Anyone done Literary Studies and can recommend/not recommend it? Anyone got any other helpful advice? I'm awful at making decisions and am really worried about making a bad choice here.
2016 - Indonesian SL (43)
2017 - Psychology ( 47)
2018 - Literature (50 + Premier's Award), French (45), Latin (35), Deakin Accelerate Psychological Science (5.0) ATAR - 99.85

2019 - Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Arts @ Monash University

Now selling essays on Twelfth Night, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and Ariel and General Conversation Notes for French! PM for details!