Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 06:05:13 am

Author Topic: Help! {Exam Questions)  (Read 7484 times)  Share 

Spreadbury

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +12
Re: Help! {Exam Questions)
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2010, 12:20:07 am »
you're creating an operational hypothesis for a research study that has already been completed and you have all details of the experiment and its results in front of you. your operational hypothesis should reflect the results as usually the results in those questions reflect what the researcher was expecting

e.g. if they were testing alcohol consumption and driving ability, and drivers with lower scores were those who drank alcohol, it makes sense to have your operational hypothesis utilize those results and state "18 year old males who don't drink alcohol before undergoing a test in a driving simulator will perform fewer errors than 18 year old males who have 3 standard drinks before undergoing a test in a driving simulator

you utilize the results without stating what the results were. make it so your operational hypothesis agrees with the results, and i'm pretty sure you won't go wrong.
Bachelor of Laws, Deakin

sillysmile

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • :>
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2010, 12:21:24 am »
conclusion questions confuse me...

like for a question like "what can we concluded from the results of this study" idk what to say!... some answers say none can be concluded because it is a descriptive statistics, some write it can be concluded that there is a big difference between the two groups and some write none because it isnt statistically significant..

so im completely confused...
descriptive stats cannot infer conclusions. for a conclusion to be made, inferential stats must be used, and these must be statistically significant.
So conclusions can only be made if there are p-values, where the p-value is less than 0.05 otherwise no conclusions can be made, right?

yeah, but although p-values are the only inferential statistics you need to know, they aren't the only type.
2010: Biology 37+   Literature 25+    Physical ed 36+   Psychology 44+
ATAR: 80+ and I will be happy.
2011: Psychological science @LaTrobe (bundoora campus)

"Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been"-- Mark Twain

jinny1

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • .carpe diem
  • Respect: +105
  • School: Melbourne Dental School
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2010, 12:21:34 am »
A conclusion is a statement about whether the hypothesis has been supported or not right??

how can inferential stats like t-test/p-value determine whether the hypothesis has been supported or not?? i mean if you look at graphs/tables (descriptive statistics) then it would be pretty clear if the IV has made a difference..but of course the p-value shud be below .05..
:D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D                               

Spreadbury

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2010, 12:22:22 am »
a conclusion is more about whether the results apply to the population of interest, and whether the results are reliable/ accurate. descriptive statistics (e.g. scores on a driving test) show which condition of the experiment performed better/ worse and are an important part of forming a conclusion for the experiment.
Bachelor of Laws, Deakin

sillysmile

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2010, 12:23:25 am »
you're creating an operational hypothesis for a research study that has already been completed and you have all details of the experiment and its results in front of you. your operational hypothesis should reflect the results as usually the results in those questions reflect what the researcher was expecting

e.g. if they were testing alcohol consumption and driving ability, and drivers with lower scores were those who drank alcohol, it makes sense to have your operational hypothesis utilize those results and state "18 year old males who don't drink alcohol before undergoing a test in a driving simulator will perform fewer errors than 18 year old males who have 3 standard drinks before undergoing a test in a driving simulator

you utilize the results without stating what the results were. make it so your operational hypothesis agrees with the results, and i'm pretty sure you won't go wrong.
that's true that the hypothesis would probably be reflected by the results, but often the results do not agree with the hypothesis.

jinny1

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • .carpe diem
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2010, 12:24:22 am »
ah okk....

then if a question asks you, is the hypothesis supported?? then can you say yes or no just based on the descriptive stats as this isnt making a conclusion?

laijiawen

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2010, 12:26:46 am »

Okay I'm back to being confused. I don't think all expectancies of the experimenter are necessary correct, because if this was the case, what is the point of doing an experiment when you already know you're correct? Isn't doing an experiment to prove that something is right/wrong.

sillysmile

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2010, 12:27:48 am »
a conclusion is more about whether the results apply to the population of interest, and whether the results are reliable/ accurate. descriptive statistics (e.g. scores on a driving test) show which condition of the experiment performed better/ worse and are an important part of forming a conclusion for the experiment.
yep, descriptive stats are a part, and they also summarise data so that it can be more effectively interpreted,
there are a few conclusions that can be made:
1. whether the hypothesis was supported
2. whether the results of the study apply to the research sample
3. whether the results of the study can be generalised to the population from which the sample was drawn.

laijiawen

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2010, 12:28:15 am »

like for a question like "what can we concluded from the results of this study" idk what to say!... some answers say none can be concluded because it is a descriptive statistics, some write it can be concluded that there is a big difference between the two groups and some write none because it isnt statistically significant..

descriptive stats cannot infer conclusions. for a conclusion to be made, inferential stats must be used, and these must be statistically significant.
So conclusions can only be made if there are p-values, where the p-value is less than 0.05 otherwise no conclusions can be made, right?

yeah, but although p-values are the only inferential statistics you need to know, they aren't the only type.
Okay, I understand about conclusions now

sillysmile

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2010, 12:32:14 am »

Okay I'm back to being confused. I don't think all expectancies of the experimenter are necessary correct, because if this was the case, what is the point of doing an experiment when you already know you're correct? Isn't doing an experiment to prove that something is right/wrong.
yes, I agree with you here and in my E.R.A sacs, we always created the hypothesis before conducting the experiment (let alone interpreting the results)

Glockmeister

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • RIP Sweet Nothings.
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2010, 02:54:19 am »

Well, strictly speaking, p-values aren't a 'inferential statistic', but a product of one. The inferential statistics is things like the t-tests, ANOVAs and the Chi-Squares. All these tests produce p-values of some description.

NO NO NO NO NO!

Your hypothesis MUST have been based on the research that you have done, NOT the results of your experiment. The reason for this got to the heart of why you're experimenting in the first place. What you are doing is looking at previous results, designing the experiment so that it fits in a different context and seeing whether you would get the same results. You can't do that if you're using your own results as your hypothesis. Also, it's the contradictions between your hypothesis (and basically what the world thinks would happen in your experiment) and the actual results that actually makes the science.

yes, I agree with you here and in my E.R.A sacs, we always created the hypothesis before conducting the experiment (let alone interpreting the results)

That's the proper way of doing it. Otherwise it's possible to use data dredging techniques to come up with hypothesises that aren't actually supported.

ah okk....

then if a question asks you, is the hypothesis supported?? then can you say yes or no just based on the descriptive stats as this isnt making a conclusion?

Generally speaking, you can't really make any statements about how much support a hypothesis has just on the basis of the descriptive statistics alone - in fact it's pretty poor science to do so. The reason for this is simply. Take for example I do an experiment on whether tiredness reduced the ability to recall words remembered. I use a Karolinska Sleep Scale (KSS) (This is a test used to measure sleepiness in Psychology) and that I separate into a sleepy group and the awake group. Suppose then I do the recall bit three time and I get the following results (each row of trial is the average of that trail):

SleepyAwake
Mean56

Using descriptive statistics, you might say that make a conclusion that being awake means you're more likely to be awake than when you're asleep. But look at the difference, it's only by a value of one. So you have to ask yourself, how sure can you be that the one is actually significant - that the difference in values actually support the hypothesis that you're looking at, rather than being a product of something else (such as chance).  [The strict definition of a p-value (which is the measure of significance used) is the probability of getting a result that is equal or higher than the result that you got , assuming the null hypothesis (which is the opposite of your hypothesis) is true]. This is why you need to use inferential statistics to make determination os wheither the results support your hypothesis.

A conclusion is a statement about whether the hypothesis has been supported or not right??

how can inferential stats like t-test/p-value determine whether the hypothesis has been supported or not?? i mean if you look at graphs/tables (descriptive statistics) then it would be pretty clear if the IV has made a difference..but of course the p-value shud be below .05..

You're correct on the first question.

To the second question, this is actually very hard to explain without going beyond the VCE course and into first-year university territory. I'm going to have a crack in it anyway (I've always had a disliking to teachers that say that something is 'beyond the VCE course'). Depending on the amount of mathematical background that you have (you'd probably need to have done or are doing Mathematical Methods 3&4 or Further Mathematics 3&4 to not get lost), you'll either completely follow what I'm writing here, or end up in bat-shit confused territory. Anyway, here it goes.

Psychology uses a lot of statistical tests in research. Many of these are classed in a set called 'test of significance' and it's often used to determine whether the differences between means is something worth writing home about (and writing journal articles about it), or just dumping the research onto the cabinet. These tests include things like the Student's t-test, Analysis of Variance (ANOVA), Multivariate Analysis of Variance(MANOVA), and other statistical tests with increasingly larger acronyms. These get more and more complicated, but the general principles of how they work is the same.

Now, here's the maths bit of it. I want you to think of a bell curve. If you can't think of one, here's a picture of one to help.

From: http://classes.kumc.edu/sah/resources/sensory_processing/images/bell_curve.gif

Those of you with the maths background should know that this bell curve represents data, much like a graph that has been collated together. Now think of this curve as representing all of results that the participants got for a particular condition (e.g. the experimental condition) that your participants went through. If you're struggling here, imagine there's an imaginary line connecting the curve to the horizontal axis. This imaginary line represents the result one participant got. Now imagine that there are multiple lines doing the same thing. Eventually, given a large enough sample (in mathematical terms. , but in practical terms, a large enough sample), that should become that curve you see there. Now, imagine another bell curve. This represents all the results that your participants got for another condition (e.g. the control). Basically, when you dump the curves onto the same horizontal axis, you're going to get overlap between the curves (you're going to get participants from one condition who will get the result as participants from other conditions). What 'test of significance' measure in a sense, is the degree of overlap between curves. This is expressed as p-values and the overlap is expressed as a probability (this is because the bell curve is used in probability theory as well. Based on the curve of a particular dataset, you can get the likelihood of getting a particular result).

Now remember what I said earlier about the definition of the p-value being probability of getting a result that is equal or higher than the result that you got , assuming the null hypothesis (which is the opposite of your hypothesis) is true. Now, how this is computed is this: in this experiment where you have two conditions (experiment and control), your control is the null hypothesis and the experimental condition is the alternative hypothesis (or just the hypothesis you'd put down in your ERA). The p-value is basically said how likely are you going to get the result that you got, if the control condition is true (that is, there's no effect). A p-value of .05 basically says that there is 5% chance that you got that particular result, given that there's actually no real effect of the treatment. Basically what we are concluding that it is unlikely that this is actually the case (that there's no effect), and therefore the treatment must be doing something (although the degree of what it is doing can't be determined using tests of significance along).

Where t-tests come along on this is that you use a Student's t-test to come up with a p-value. It's not the only way to come up with a p-value and you can only use it when you have two conditions that you are comparing. Nonetheless, it works by the principle I've stated above.

This is probably enough for you to get an handle on what a p-value is (and you're probably skipped to this part anyway). It'd definitely beyond the standard that you'll need for VCE, but understanding some of the background of Student t-tests should help you understand why we use it.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 04:09:37 am by Glockmeister »
"this post is more confusing than actual chemistry.... =S" - Mao

[22:07] <robbo> i luv u Glockmeister

<Glockmeister> like the people who like do well academically
<Glockmeister> tend to deny they actually do well
<%Neobeo> sounds like Ahmad0
<@Ahmad0> no
<@Ahmad0> sounds like Neobeo

2007: Mathematical Methods 37; Psychology 38
2008: English 33; Specialist Maths 32 ; Chemistry 38; IT: Applications 42
2009: Bachelor of Behavioural Neuroscience, Monash University.

Spreadbury

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2010, 09:25:05 am »
you're not conducting an experiment in the exam though. you're creating an operational hypothesis after having read the entire experiment.

I believe it should be in-keeping with the results if you want a correct answer on the exam
Bachelor of Laws, Deakin

Glockmeister

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • RIP Sweet Nothings.
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2010, 12:54:19 pm »
you're not conducting an experiment in the exam though. you're creating an operational hypothesis after having read the entire experiment.

I believe it should be in-keeping with the results if you want a correct answer on the exam

It has been awhile since I've done VCE Psych (3years now!). But I believe in the exam, you'd be able to put a hypothesis either way. They're more interested in the form that your answer takes than what the actual hypothesis is. I'd have to check with a past exam though to make sure.
"this post is more confusing than actual chemistry.... =S" - Mao

[22:07] <robbo> i luv u Glockmeister

<Glockmeister> like the people who like do well academically
<Glockmeister> tend to deny they actually do well
<%Neobeo> sounds like Ahmad0
<@Ahmad0> no
<@Ahmad0> sounds like Neobeo

2007: Mathematical Methods 37; Psychology 38
2008: English 33; Specialist Maths 32 ; Chemistry 38; IT: Applications 42
2009: Bachelor of Behavioural Neuroscience, Monash University.

jinny1

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • .carpe diem
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2010, 05:49:40 pm »
Thanks Glockmeister...hopefully ill get better as i do these questions..

ok heres is a vcaa question .. VCE 2002 Q16. What would Dr. Brodsky's conclusion based on the results of his experiment???(his experiment p-value was lower than 0.01)

i wrote none as they are descriptive stats but the actual answers are : "The faster the tempo of the music listened to by the participants the greater the speed limit was exceeded OR The more beats per minute in the music the greater the kms above the speed limit the person will go."

so what???can you draw conclusions from descriptive stats provided that your results are statistically significant??

masonnnn

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I'm an art student at heart, can't you tell?
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2010, 06:22:31 pm »
Thanks Glockmeister...hopefully ill get better as i do these questions..

ok heres is a vcaa question .. VCE 2002 Q16. What would Dr. Brodsky's conclusion based on the results of his experiment???(his experiment p-value was lower than 0.01)

i wrote none as they are descriptive stats but the actual answers are : "The faster the tempo of the music listened to by the participants the greater the speed limit was exceeded OR The more beats per minute in the music the greater the kms above the speed limit the person will go."

so what???can you draw conclusions from descriptive stats provided that your results are statistically significant??

there was a trick question on this in a previous is exam and it's important to know you can not draw any conclusions from descriptive statistics alone. Descriptive statistics simply summarize the information and results. You then interpret those results and can then only make conclusions and generalizations from inferential statistics.
Inferential statistics being the p-value which indicates whether the results were due to influence from the independant variable (thing being studied) or by chance.

p-value of 0.01 means the results were due to chance only 1% of the time (or 1 out of 100) which is statistically significant so you can determine that the conclusion WILL support the hypothesis.

2010: Chem, Lit, Bio, Psych and Further.
201_: Postgraduate Medicine...