Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:37:51 pm

Author Topic: Help! {Exam Questions)  (Read 7453 times)  Share 

laijiawen

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
Re: Help! {Exam Questions)
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2010, 11:49:44 pm »
I have 2 more questions =]
1)Not a specific exam question but when doing operational hypothesis, do we hypothesise what should generally occur or what the results show. Like if the experiment was to see if alcohol did have an effect on mean number of driving errors made and the group who took alcohol scored 6 while the group who didn't got 10. Also for the conclusion, if we hypothesised that alcohol did have an effect, do we say that no conclusion could be made based on results? Or that Alcohol didn't have an effect?

2)How do we know that the answer is Semantic system and not Declarative system when answering a MC question?

Spreadbury

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2010, 11:53:26 pm »
declarative system is more of a general term that encompasses both semantic and episodic memory

and with the operational hypothesis you should make your hypothesis in-keeping with the results.

i'm sorry, don't understand your question about the conclusion. the hypothesis is a testable prediction, so obviously it can be wrong, and if the results prove it wrong that's your conclusion...
Bachelor of Laws, Deakin

sillysmile

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • :>
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2010, 11:57:10 pm »
laijawen, which exam is this?
2010: Biology 37+   Literature 25+    Physical ed 36+   Psychology 44+
ATAR: 80+ and I will be happy.
2011: Psychological science @LaTrobe (bundoora campus)

"Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been"-- Mark Twain

UncleXxx

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2010, 11:58:00 pm »
Combination of 1 Neap practise paper and 1 IARTV CSE 2010 paper. I used to think IARTV CSE was reputable...

sillysmile

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2010, 12:02:02 am »
Combination of 1 Neap practise paper and 1 IARTV CSE 2010 paper. I used to think IARTV CSE was reputable...
yeah well, they can still be quite useful, but perhaps be a bit don't take them to be completely accurate and always double check.

laijiawen

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2010, 12:05:02 am »
Are you sure that we have to look at the results before making a hypothesis? I thought a hypothesis is a prediction of what would happen, and in the example people drinking alcohol SHOULD make more errors when driving.
For the conclusion question,
Let's say we do a operational hypothesis - VCE Students Sirengate Grammar will make more errors on a driving simulater than students who don't drink alcohol. (someone please check if my operational hypothesis is alright =]) But the results shows people who did not drink alcohol made more errors than people who did - disproving the operational hypothesis I made earlier.
If it asks "what conclusion could be made from this experiment"
Do we say "no conclusion can be made because results did not show that alcohol did have an effect on driving errors made"
or "It is concluded thatstudents who did not drink alcohol made more errors on a driving simulater than students who did" which we all know is false

*edit
Sorry for my bad english.

sillysmile

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2010, 12:09:00 am »
Are you sure that we have to look at the results before making a hypothesis? I thought a hypothesis is a prediction of what would happen, and in the example people drinking alcohol SHOULD make more errors when driving.
Let's say we do a operational hypothesis - VCE Students Sirengate Grammar will make more errors on a driving simulater than students who don't drink alcohol. (someone please check if my operational hypothesis is alright =]) But the results shows people who did not drink alcohol made more errors than people who did - disproving the operational hypothesis I made earlier.
Do we say "no conclusion can be made because results did not show that alcohol did have an effect on driving errors made"
or "It is concluded thatstudents who did not drink alcohol made more errors on a driving simulater than students who did" which we all know is false

*edit
yes, you don't use the results for a hypothesis

sillysmile

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2010, 12:09:50 am »
I believe it's created before the results are even obtained.

EDIT: for conclusions to be made,  inferential statistics must be used.
technically speaking without these, conclusions cannot be inferred.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 12:12:16 am by sillysmile »

jinny1

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • .carpe diem
  • Respect: +105
  • School: Melbourne Dental School
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2010, 12:12:12 am »
conclusion questions confuse me...

like for a question like "what can we concluded from the results of this study" idk what to say!... some answers say none can be concluded because it is a descriptive statistics, some write it can be concluded that there is a big difference between the two groups and some write none because it isnt statistically significant..

so im completely confused...
:D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D                               

laijiawen

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2010, 12:12:54 am »

*edit
yes, you don't use the results for a hypothesis
I agree with you, however I'm still confused because Spreadbury said that we need to follow the results as well as the answers.

sillysmile

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2010, 12:14:54 am »

like for a question like "what can we concluded from the results of this study" idk what to say!... some answers say none can be concluded because it is a descriptive statistics, some write it can be concluded that there is a big difference between the two groups and some write none because it isnt statistically significant..

descriptive stats cannot infer conclusions. for a conclusion to be made, inferential stats must be used, and these must be statistically significant.

jinny1

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • .carpe diem
  • Respect: +105
  • School: Melbourne Dental School
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2010, 12:16:22 am »

descriptive stats cannot infer conclusions. for a conclusion to be made, inferential stats must be used, and these must be statistically significant.

can't you conclude that your hypothesis has been supproted and that there has been a large discrepancy between the Control/experimental group??? with descriptive statistics??
:D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D :D :) ;D                               

sillysmile

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2010, 12:17:52 am »
no, I think he said that you use the results to form a conclusion..
but these results must include inferential stats .

sillysmile

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2010, 12:18:54 am »

can't you conclude that your hypothesis has been supproted and that there has been a large discrepancy between the Control/experimental group??? with descriptive statistics??
from what I have learnt, no.

to be specific, there may be an obvious difference, but without inferential stats, you cant conclude that the difference is not just due to chance.

laijiawen

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2010, 12:19:28 am »

So conclusions can only be made if there are p-values, where the p-value is less than 0.05 otherwise no conclusions can be made, right?