Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 01:10:10 am

Author Topic: Dominant Energy Systems  (Read 1335 times)  Share 

MadiD

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Dominant Energy Systems
« on: May 11, 2019, 11:45:32 am »
What are the most dominant energy systems when performing the following skills during a basketball game:
- Chest Pass
- Overhead Pass
- Catch
- Leap Forwards and Sidewards

jeremychoo

• Adventurer
Re: Dominant Energy Systems
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 10:38:59 am »
+2
What are the most dominant energy systems when performing the following skills during a basketball game:
- Chest Pass
- Overhead Pass
- Catch

Hey the most dominant energy systems for all these would probably be the ATP-CP energy system due to the short and explosive nature of these skills. However, the other energy systems will still be quite heavily involved as these skills are multi faceted. What I mean for example is that in a chest pass while the ATP-CP ES may be predominant to perform the actual throw; a chest pass often occurs while running where the aerobic or anaerobic glycolysis ES may be predominant. It's quite subjective and we need more detailed descriptions of skills to know exactly.

Seth

• Fresh Poster
Re: Dominant Energy Systems
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 07:59:07 am »
- Chest Pass
- Overhead Pass
- Catch

Yeh, I agree with Jeremychoo. It is best to consider the specific situation of the activity before considering the intensity and duration of the exercise. Another thing to add is that different muscles will have a different amount of stores of certain energy substrates. This is why I think the predominant energy system is almost always the ATP-PC system, because assuming that the action of throwing doesn't occur too often, then there should be sufficient ATP or CP stores to perform the movement quickly, particularly because these movements only last for probably 1 second max. Hope that helps.