Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:49:05 pm

Author Topic: Bea's Films  (Read 40366 times)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: Bea's Films
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2018, 07:26:43 pm »
+1
Hey guys

Check out the latest ATAR Notes HSC promo video ft. all the AMAZING HSC lecturers

Edited and filmed by yours truly <3
Why am I laughing? This is abnormal.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2018, 07:32:04 pm »
+4
Why am I laughing? This is abnormal.

Rui you're f a m o u s !!!!!!!
You finally made it onto the big screen!!!!!!!!
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2018, 12:23:04 pm »
+12
Artists Anonymous

Synopsis: Artists Anonymous is a short comedy exploring five pretentious artists and their outlandish perspectives on art as well as their side‐splitting interactions with each other. However, what initially seems to be a simple comedic take on artists, is in actuality a truthful exploration on our need to express ourselves through art and the dangers of going too far falling into the pit of pretentiousness.

Pre-production: July 20, 2018 to October 12, 2018
Production: October 16, 2018 to October 17, 2018
Post-production: October 18, 2018 to October 31, 2018
Official screening: November 2, 2018

Anecdote: This film was apart of our end of semester production where I volunteered to edit this film and also get assessed on it as well.

Enjoy!

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2018, 03:07:11 pm »
+11
Hi all!

I'm directing a film in late January next year.

I'm very excited.

Thank you for coming to my ted talk

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2018, 02:35:45 pm »
+8
An update on the film I'm directing...

- got production dates down
- script has been finalised
- auditions will occur in two weeks time
- still getting approval from locations
- will go location scouting to do location recce's
- production design is making great progress

I can't believe that this is all happening.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2019, 02:29:42 pm »
+6
An update on the film I'm directing...

- got production dates down
- script has been finalised
- auditions will occur in two weeks time
- still getting approval from locations
- will go location scouting to do location recce's
- production design is making great progress

Woohoo more updates on my film:

* cast and crew all hired
* script has been finalised (again)
* 3/4 of locations have been locked down
* shot list done
* rehearsals are next week
* equipment's booked

To repeat what I just said in my last post ...

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2019, 10:00:39 pm »
+13

I suppose that now's the time to talk about the film I'm about to direct this Jan 27 to 30!

I'm very excited to direct this film because it's my vision coming to life and it pleases to see that my cast and crew are joining me in this journey to getting this script come to life. I never would have thought that my script I wrote for screenwriting class last year is now being made into an actual short film. So much has changed since then in terms of script, directions and intentions. Putting myself back on set will help me learn more about the filmmaking process as I find that being on set is the place where I learn the most (even more than my lectures and workshops combined if I say so myself).

I would be lying if I said that I'm 100% excited. Of course I'm very nervous too. I'm nervous that it wouldn't go as planned. I'm worried that locations will fall through at the last minute. What if equipment breaks down on the day? What if there aren't enough extras? Will the cast, crew and I endure 11 hours for four days straight? I'm super scared that I won't be able to direct as well on the shooting days. I don't want my cast to get sick of me talking non-stop.

There were times I wanted to postpone the shoot til July. I felt that I was unprepared and didn't think directing was my forte. Though my wonderful crew members, most especially my producer, first AD, prod designer and cinematographer always pull me back in because their enthusiasm to make this film come alive inspires me deeply and reminds me that I'm not alone in this process. The actors I've casted are very keen to get this film done. I think it's because I've casted a predominantly Asian cast and I do feel like as an upcoming Asian filmmaker- it is my duty to create opportunities for Asian actors in the industry and get the exposure we deserve in the media. This short film maybe just a short film- but what if it inspires other filmmakers to consider racial diversity in their films.

I do intend on submitting my film to film festivals (this year and next year). I'm making my passion project so might as well submit them to festivals so that everyone's efforts aren't lost! Would love it if my film got selected for one but I probably just jinxed myself aha.

That's all from me from now. I'll make a new post after production ends!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 10:05:58 pm by beatroot »

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2019, 10:35:22 pm »
+9
That's all from me from now. I'll make a new post after production ends!

Now is the time to make that new post since production is now officially done!

So we wrapped up yesterday on a four day shoot which is hectic. I'm only so used to 2-3 day shoots so to do a four day shoot is INSANE. Nevertheless, the cast, crew and I survived.

I must say that this had to be the best crew I have worked with in my life. I'm not just saying that because I was the director and I gathered this crew. But the fact everyone was just so chill and so fun to work with. I had an absolute pleasure working with a fantastic cinematographer & first AC, an enthusiastic first AD, an incredible producer, a wonderful soundie, a dedicated production designer and so forth. I got my crew from people in my year and we come from different friendship groups. I was lowkey worried that my crew wouldn't bond well because we weren't super close- but I could say after this production, I could definitely see myself sitting with them at lunch times and at lectures in the future.

That being said- the crew was just so good that I felt like trash compared to them. I felt so damn unprofessional on set. I didn't talk much to the actors. I didn't explain what I had envisioned in my head properly. I wasn't firm enough. Although, it's like I shouldn't be hard on myself as it is my first time directing a proper short film and I didn't walk into film school wanting to be a director anyways. So I think my work is of a good standard.

There was one incident during the shoot where my actor said that my blocking for him felt unnatural. Then suddenly him, the cinematographer and first AC all fired all their different suggestions to me and I blanked out. There were just so many voices going all at once I didn't know what to do. Thankfully, my first AD pulled me aside and asked me what I wanted straight up. I told her what I wanted and she let me have a quick break while she talked to the actor and the rest of the crew.

This entire film has been a learning experience.

I'm off to edit this film soon as we head into post-production. Once I'm satisfied with the picture, I will pass on the film to my soundie who will edit the sound, my composer- who will compose music and my colour grader- who will grade the film.

I'll probably post updates about my editing progress :)

Edit: Nearly forgot my favourite moments on set.

My first one has to be a conversation with my sound guy/boom operator during lunch time.

Sound guy: So does your laptop have audacity?
Me: THE AUDACITY TO DO WHAT? I BELIEVE MY LAPTOP HAS THE AUDACITY TO DO ANYTHING.
Sound guy: No, I mean 'Audacity' like the music app to record sound.
(At that point my cast and crew started laughing and it's now an inside joke between us all)

The second one has to be the third day which was the only day where we moved locations. We were pretty tired so at the end of lunch break (at the second location) our first AD started playing 'Eye of the Tiger' on her phone and gave a super motivational speech to all of us to get our energy levels running.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 10:54:51 pm by beatroot »

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2019, 11:41:54 pm »
+10
There's literally nothing more cringe worthy than watching all the raw footage from the film you wrote/directed and hearing your words being said out loud but also the fact some shots are very grainy and dark (even though they looked completely fine on set) and I feel absolutely sorry for our colour grader who would have to fix these shots one by one.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2019, 12:52:58 am »
+6
I'm just binging and catching up on all your updates from this film and I'm blown away by the scale of this project! Like, the fact that your educational institution enables a collaborative project like this is something I'm seriously jealous of. Super keen to see the film! ;D

(also Audacity is amaze wtf is wrong with you)

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2019, 10:54:56 am »
+7
I'm just binging and catching up on all your updates from this film and I'm blown away by the scale of this project! Like, the fact that your educational institution enables a collaborative project like this is something I'm seriously jealous of. Super keen to see the film! ;D

Thanks Jamon! Super lucky that I'm able to collab with other people for projects like this and potentially do this as a part/full time job in the future. Trust me when I say this but it's not just my team producing a film in my year. Heaps of people are making their own films as well and some are actually camping out in the mountains for a week just to get their film done. It amazes me how dedicated people are when it comes to filmmaking and their craft. I'm excited to see the end product since I've been hyping it so much but also scared to edit it because I'm not happy with some of the raw footage ahhh and it's been putting me off from editing.

(also Audacity is amaze wtf is wrong with you)

Omg I actually completely forgot that Audacity was a thing! I haven't seen the programme since Year 6 so when my soundie ask if my laptop has audacity, the first thing that literally came out my mouth was 'the audacity to do what?'. I'm glad that happened because that's my favourite moment on set and it's an inside joke between my crew and I that I will treasure forever <3

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2019, 03:19:32 pm »
+8
Nearly forgot how draining it is to watch raw footage. Only halfway there but I'm already getting frustrated! But I know I can't skip this process because if I do, it'll make editing so much harder.

Sorted out the super dark shots with my colour grader and he brightened the footage up which is great. That means I could still use those shots in the final edit.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2019, 05:18:05 pm »
+6
Day #1 of editing: Wow yes I also nearly forgot how draining it is to edit. Was annoyed that my edit for scene 2 wasn't working until I played with some clips and got a good ending. Hoping to edit scene 3 by tonight! Please keep me accountable because I want this edit done and picture locked by next Thursday :) The most time consuming part of editing is probably just syncing sound to visuals!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2019, 05:25:22 pm »
+1
Day #1 of editing: Wow yes I also nearly forgot how draining it is to edit. Was annoyed that my edit for scene 2 wasn't working until I played with some clips and got a good ending. Hoping to edit scene 3 by tonight! Please keep me accountable because I want this edit done and picture locked by next Thursday :) The most time consuming part of editing is probably just syncing sound to visuals!

Wait, does Premiere let you auto-sync audio from a microphone to the audio picked up by the camera's mic? Or do you have to manually align everything?

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2019, 05:57:54 pm »
+3
Wait, does Premiere let you auto-sync audio from a microphone to the audio picked up by the camera's mic? Or do you have to manually align everything?

Tbh no clue on how to do that (thank you film school :'( ) so I'm manually syncing the visual of the slate clapping and the peak in the audio file. I'm just glad half the film doesn't have dialogue so I don't have to worry about syncing sound. My sound editor can deal with the atmos tracks and the foley ;)