Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:05:10 pm

Author Topic: Exam Rituals  (Read 3786 times)  Share 

justwannawish

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +41
Exam Rituals
« on: October 06, 2017, 10:40:16 pm »
Hey!

Does anyone have any exam rituals they follow religiously? For me, it was chewing gum before a test and sometimes through it- somehow, moving my jaw helped remove my tensions haha. Also liked to listen to a particular song right before it, it helped me calm down :)

My friend has a particular pen she only uses for exams- one of those nice InkJoy pens and I've never seen her use it outside of exam week.

Any other interesting quirks from the users of AN?

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
Re: Exam Rituals
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 10:52:26 pm »
+1
i do a lot of weird things before exams but they're not all coming to mind now. here's two: using the same pen for exams, and not outside; and last minute cramming walking up and down the school playground with notes and saying stuff aloud.
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

LifeisaConstantStruggle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +104
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 10:55:55 pm »
+2
Good evening,
I've only started doing this this year but I would get a roll of chocolate (the higher the cocoa content the better) in Woolworths and have one before any assessments or exams. I didn't know when it started (exactly), but I realised that it made me feel more energetic and attentive, and I would make significantly lesser careless mistakes for particular tests. I did some research and found some unconfirmed research that L-theanine in dark chocolate can increase your attention level (kinda like green and black tea) so you would do better in exams, I don't know how true this research is but it definitely helped me!
2018-2020: Bachelor of Actuarial Science (+ Econometrics), Monash
2021: Bachelor of Commerce (Honours), Econometrics & Financial Mathematics, Monash
2022-2023: Work and some soul-searching

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
  • Everything you want is on the other side of Fear
  • Respect: +203
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 08:02:43 am »
+4
The only one I stuck relgiously was waiting alone by myself either in a toliet stall or somewhere nearby until the examineer told everyone they were now letting students enter the exam room. I did this because I can't stand people talking about exams, the content or anything in general, it just elevated my stress/anixety/pressure levels through the roof and put me in a bad mindstate. It got me a lot of weird looks/vibes from my friends, students and teachers, but I feel that it got me the results I have and i'm grateful I did use it.
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hence why i'm in all these different threads and boards.

justwannawish

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 04:17:40 pm »
i do a lot of weird things before exams but they're not all coming to mind now. here's two: using the same pen for exams, and not outside; and last minute cramming walking up and down the school playground with notes and saying stuff aloud.

Last minute cramming seems to always take an unwanted place in my exam ritual :(
But it seems like lucky pens are quite common!

Good evening,
I've only started doing this this year but I would get a roll of chocolate (the higher the cocoa content the better) in Woolworths and have one before any assessments or exams. I didn't know when it started (exactly), but I realised that it made me feel more energetic and attentive, and I would make significantly lesser careless mistakes for particular tests. I did some research and found some unconfirmed research that L-theanine in dark chocolate can increase your attention level (kinda like green and black tea) so you would do better in exams, I don't know how true this research is but it definitely helped me!

Be sure to try this one out for the English Paper. I need all the help I can get ;)

The only one I stuck relgiously was waiting alone by myself either in a toliet stall or somewhere nearby until the examineer told everyone they were now letting students enter the exam room. I did this because I can't stand people talking about exams, the content or anything in general, it just elevated my stress/anixety/pressure levels through the roof and put me in a bad mindstate. It got me a lot of weird looks/vibes from my friends, students and teachers, but I feel that it got me the results I have and i'm grateful I did use it.

I agree, a lot of my friends were either the kids who were stressing out or the ones that were sure it was going to be easy. Sometimes I'd sit with kids in my year who I wasn't particularly close to and talk about something else to just relax, or I'd be a loner and calm down that way

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 10:39:24 pm »
+1
As of this year I've taken my shoes off in every exam and plan on continuing that in the HSC. It probably does nothing but my feet feel free so I can concentrate better? Although they did get quite cold during trials...

Also, before every trial exam I ate a banana, I guess I may aswell keep this one up too since I did get quite hungry during English and bio exams even with the banana so I don't even wanna know what happens without. (P.s this banana is not breakfast, it is a 2nd breakfast because apparently my body doesn't think 6 weet-bix is enough to get through an exam)
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

Jigsaw

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +97
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 10:45:21 pm »
I honestly try to relax completely before any exam, generally by finding an empty room and listening to music. :)
2017: | Business Management [47] |
2018: | Legal Studies [50] (Premier's) | English [48] | Accounting [41] | Japanese SL [38] | Maths Methods [32] |

ATAR: 99.40 2019 Onwards: Laws (Hons)/Arts @ Monash

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 11:22:25 pm »
+2
I stopped going to the common room before each of my trial exam because I knew that people would be freaking out and I had to get away from that as much as possible. Instead, I talked to (at least) one teacher before each of my exam (particularly my art teacher).

Before and during reading time, I would drink a lot of water, tighten my ponytail and straighten my pens. Also I always had a cardigan, a jersey or a blazer placed on my chair. I feel more secured this way, even though I will not use it during the exam. Gives me that sense of comfort, you know?
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 10:16:40 am »
+3
Always make sure I have rings on just incase I begin to feel anxious, I can start fiddling with them to sort of calm me a bit haha! Also tie my hair into a bun during reading time, not before :o
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

Henry Kocatekin

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 10:26:35 am »
Toilet.
Drink water
Toilet again
Go to table
Forget all the year's worth of work
Line pens up
Freak the f**k out at being under prepared.
Try to be calm.
"Your Reading Time Starts Now"
Silently cry.

av-angie-er

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 09:55:18 pm »
I have a pin that my friend bought for my birthday last year that says "Son in a Million" on it (dumb inside joke, don't ask), and I'll usually wear it under my jersey or keep it in my pocket because it makes me feel confident for some absurd reason? Probably just my subconscious trying to be funny, but it works... and I'll usually dance around and be extra peppy to try and ward off bad vibes/evil spirits  ;D
HSC 2017: Advanced English | Mathematics | Biology | Society and Culture | Modern History | History Extension

geek123456

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2019, 08:41:29 pm »
just wanted to revive this thread I guess given that it is exam season now
I always have my pens in groups of twos placed right angled to each other,for some reason it comforts me
would love to read some more quirky rituals :)

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2019, 08:45:14 pm »
do some deep breathing; ignore the chaotic freaking out going on around me
and pray with my friend ;D