Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 02:15:56 pm

Author Topic: Help with Romeo and Juliet! Urgently!  (Read 4974 times)  Share 

chuckjefster90

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
Help with Romeo and Juliet! Urgently!
« on: May 04, 2010, 08:10:03 pm »
Would anyone be able to help me by giving me important quotes from Romeo & Juliet relating to Love, Conflict, Fate & Death.
Would anyone also have any essays to give me a guide?

This was an example:
Romeo and Juliet are victims of their parents’ hatred. They themselves cannot be held responsible for their terrible demise.[/i
It would be great if anyone gave me tips to write this practice essay.

This would be greatly appreciated!
:)

iNerd

Re: Help with Romeo and Juliet! Urgently!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 08:28:30 pm »
Are you Year10?
This is our text for Year 10! Assignment due on it on Monday >:(
Romeo and Juliet end up dying due to these 5 factors:
1. Fate. Find out if your teacher likes Fate! My teacher loves it! Agree with the teacher, they mark you!
2. The ancient feud
3. Lord Capulet's unduly pressure demonstrated by "hang thee young baggage etc"
4. Friar Lawrence
5. Stupid young hot-tempered man who are ready to draw their swords to settle any arguments

Good luck!

AzureBlue

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 08:38:47 pm »
Yeah, we had a essay topic on Fate last year for Romeo and Juliet. I'll try and dig out my essay on that (but not today, need to go to sleep early for MUMC, getting up really early tomorrow). Once I find it, I'll post it, that is, if I find it.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 06:16:36 pm by AzureBlue »

EvangelionZeta

• Quintessence of Dust
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 08:44:57 pm »
Are you Year10?
This is our text for Year 10! Assignment due on it on Monday >:(
Romeo and Juliet end up dying due to these 5 factors:
1. Fate. Find out if your teacher likes Fate! My teacher loves it! Agree with the teacher, they mark you!
2. The ancient feud
3. Lord Capulet's unduly pressure demonstrated by "hang thee young baggage etc"
4. Friar Lawrence
5. Stupid young hot-tempered man who are ready to draw their swords to settle any arguments

Good luck!

This is pretty much it.  This topic is also pretty much the only topic guaranteed to appear when studying R+J...
---

Finished VCE in 2010 and now teaching professionally. For any inquiries, email me at [email protected].

AzureBlue

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 08:48:35 pm »
There's always a topic either about fate or what caused their deaths!

chuckjefster90

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 11:38:59 pm »
Yeah I need stuff about what caused their death
like love can be to blame, etc
:|
do you guys have any pass essays orl ike a sheet of great quotes?
thanks heaps

AzureBlue

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 04:50:57 pm »
Yeah I need stuff about what caused their death
like love can be to blame, etc
:|
do you guys have any pass essays orl ike a sheet of great quotes?
thanks heaps
I did have a quote sheet relating to each topic I predicted, and important quotes in general, but I did it on loose leaf so I've thrown it away a year ago.

But here's a few important ones (mainly relating to fate and premonition).
ROMEO: Is it e'en so? then I defy you, stars!

JULIET: "What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

"Wisely and slow; they stumble that run fast"

"These violent delights have violent ends
And in their triumph die, like fire and powder,
Which as they kiss consume."

"This day's black fate on more days doth depend:
This but begins the woe others must end."

"Methinks I see thee, now thou art so low,
As one dead in the bottom of a tomb."

"I dreamt my lady came and found me dead"

"A greater power than we can contradict
Hath thwarted our intents."

AzureBlue

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 09:15:50 pm »
I apologise for the delay, took a while to wade through my computer and find. I wrote this last year (yr 9 english ext), under 45 mins test conditions, where my handwriting got really messy because I was writing so fast lol. I don't remember the exact wording of the topic, but it was something to do with fate and the tragic outcome of the play. And good luck on your essay, remember to memorise quotes too :)

Romeo and Juliet Essay Test (Topic 2)

Fate plays an enormous role in the Tragedy of “Romeo and Juliet”, and is certainly almost wholly responsible for the tragic outcome of the play. Fate can be described as an uncontrollable and often adverse condition: destiny. It is often associated with the stars and heaven and much of this is displayed throughout the story, not only making the audience aware of fate’s impact on the unfolding events but the characters also have premonitions: visions of their fate. Although some other factors, such as flaws in the characters’ qualities do affect the play, they are definitely too many coincidences to doubt the presence and large responsibility that fate plays in the tragic outcome of the lives of Romeo and Juliet.

In the prologue of “Romeo and Juliet”, we are already given a glimpse of the ending of the play and what is to come. It states: “A pair of star-crossed lovers take their life…” and the mention of the word ‘star-crossed’ implies that Romeo and Juliet’s fates are written in the stars and they cannot truly control their destinies. The description which follows “The fearful passage of their death-marked love” implies that the fate is adverse and the outcome is tragic: death. Even before the story has stated, the audience already knows the fate of the lovers.

It is ultimately fate which sparks love between Romeo and Juliet and also fate that brings them to their untimely deaths. Romeo and Juliet were perfectly matched, but the chances that they were from feuding families, one being a Capulet and the other a Montague were incredibly slim. It is fate that Romeo and Juliet wears a mask to the ball otherwise Juliet might not have so quickly fallen in love with him. Only after realizing who the other is their exclamations are “My life is my foe’s debt!” and “My only love sprung from my only hate!” Juliet has the right idea during her balcony soliloquy when she remarks “What’s in a name? That we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet…”

Again, fate plays a part in the attendance of the Montague boys to the Capulet party. It is yet another coincidence of fate that the servant of the Capulets is illiterate and is asked to invite only people on the list. Because of his illiteracy, the servant is forced to ask two strangers to translate the list of names and out of so many, the two people just happened to be Romeo and Benvolio. Even Romeo feels a premonition and fate toying with him as he says, “I fear too early… for my mind misgives some consequence yet hanging in the stars shall bitterly begin its fearful date with the night’s revels.” However, despite this premonition, fate propels him to attend the ball. If this had not happened, Romeo and Juliet would not have met each other and the events that followed would not have occurred.

In the marriage of Romeo and Juliet, Friar Lawrence exclaims, “Wisely and slow, those stumble that run fast.” This quotation reflects the consequences of a hasty marriage but despite this, the Friar still agrees to marry Romeo and Juliet so early, without notifying their parents. The marriage was indeed partly the Friar’s fault because he was already aware of the rashness of love (especially that of Romeo and Rosaline). “Is Rosaline, that thou’st did love so dear so soon forsaken? Then young men’s love lies not in their hearts, but in their eyes.” Nevertheless, as a holy man, Friar Lawrence agrees and attempts to make the marriage create peace over rancor for the Capulet and Montague families. This event was not pre-determined by fate, but surely if the following or preceding events that were attributed to fate didn’t happen then early marriage would not have been a problem. It is only because of the domino effect that each events adds to the inevitable outcome that fate produces.

Not long after the secret marriage ceremony, Tybalt provokes a fight with Romeo but Romeo is indeed sensible enough to withdraw as he is aware that Tybalt is Juliet’s cousin and he has made a vow of marriage only one day ago. However, after Mercutio duels with Tybalt, he cries out “A plague on both your families!”, also a premonition of the outcome; losses for both the Capulets and Montagues. Romeo is then so angry at Mercutio’s death that he slays Tybalt and cries out “O I am fortune’s fool!”. Surely these events have all occurred through the power of fate.

Juliet feels a premonition of Romeo lying dead in a tomb during their last night together and fate only makes the events get worse as the characters grow closer to their inevitable fates. Friar Lawrence’s plan seemed quite tightly-knit and well planned but if it was not for fate, the letter would never have been late and therefore Romeo would not have a rational decision to commit suicide. However, this is how the events fold out and Romeo yells, “Is it e’en so? Then I defy you stars!” when he is notified by Balthasar of Juliet’s death. This is a quotation of high importance because it suggests that Romeo and Juliet’s relationship was “defying fate and therefore the opposite of what their destinies intended. Even the apothecary was hesitant in selling the poison, “My poverty but not my will consents.” If he had given Romeo fake poison, none of them would’ve died but instead fate made it double suicide, “Thus with a kiss I die.”

It may have been fate that intended the sacrifice of Romeo and Juliet for the peace between the two families or fate that they were brought together then brought to an untimely death. However, it is certain that without fate, the tragedy would not have occurred. Although character personalities can be held responsible for some of the events leading up to the tragic outcome, fate was the driving force behind all of them: the dominoes would not have collapsed without a push. Therefore, although not to blame alone for the outcome, fate certainly played a major role from the outset. Romeo and Juliet were certainly toys of fate but their love stayed pure and true throughout. Without the power of fate, the destiny of Romeo and Juliet written in the stars, the story would not event to be so that: “There was not a story of more woe, than that of Juliet and her Romeo.”

A+
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 09:20:24 pm by AzureBlue »