Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:48:20 pm

Author Topic: 40 study score?  (Read 4155 times)  Share 

spursy

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
40 study score?
« on: October 27, 2019, 02:48:37 pm »
i asked this before but nobody responded  :'( but anyways here I am again
my sac scores ranged from low to medium A's with maybe one very high B+ sprinkled in there and my cohort is reasonably strong, although it is pretty big and am worried the lower end of the students will scale down my sac scores. I'm probs ranked in the top 20 out of 90-100 people
I'm not a god at english so a very high A+ on the exam is highly unlikely but I am more than willing to put in the effort to maybe scrape a very high A, low A+. maybe if I'm lucky a mid A+ which hopefully would scale up my sac scores too
So as the title says, is it still possible for me to achieve a 40 given all that

rijjaxm

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: 40 study score?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 03:35:22 pm »
+1
that sounds very reasonable!
but if you still want to check, there is a function on Deakin uni's atar calculator that can also help in predicting study scores. it requires your unit 3 average and uni 4 average, and what you expect to get on the exam.
I hope that helps, and good luck on the exam!

Massimooo123

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 12:43:48 pm »
+1
A low A+ is around the threshold for a 40 on the exam. You're not going to get dragged down by the lower-performing students in your year level. In larger cohorts, such as yours, VCAA will divide your cohort into four separate quartiles, the top 25%, top 50-25%, top 75-50%, and top 100-75%. If you're actually ranked 20th out of 100, you'll be in the top quartile, so your SAC mark will only be affected by how the top 25% of exam-sitters from your cohort perform.

spursy

• Forum Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 04:35:00 pm »
A low A+ is around the threshold for a 40 on the exam. You're not going to get dragged down by the lower-performing students in your year level. In larger cohorts, such as yours, VCAA will divide your cohort into four separate quartiles, the top 25%, top 50-25%, top 75-50%, and top 100-75%. If you're actually ranked 20th out of 100, you'll be in the top quartile, so your SAC mark will only be affected by how the top 25% of exam-sitters from your cohort perform.

Just wondering if I actually wasnt in the top 20 of my cohort and lets just say in the top 40%. Can I still get a 40 study score with a low A+ on the exams. I'm asking this cos our school doesnt give us our ranks, only scores so I just made a guess based on people I have asked and teachers comments after the sacs but because the cohort is pretty big, my guess could be way off and thats why im kinda worried I won't get that 40

Massimooo123

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 07:34:26 pm »
+3
Just wondering if I actually wasnt in the top 20 of my cohort and lets just say in the top 40%. Can I still get a 40 study score with a low A+ on the exams. I'm asking this cos our school doesnt give us our ranks, only scores so I just made a guess based on people I have asked and teachers comments after the sacs but because the cohort is pretty big, my guess could be way off and thats why im kinda worried I won't get that 40

Technically, yeah. If everyone from your school were to get 100% on the exam, your SAC marks would be adjusted to 100%. If everyone were to get 0%, your SAC marks would be adjusted to 0%.

Let's assume you're somewhere between 25th and 50th for SACs in a cohort of 100 people. Now, say the person who came 25th had an average of 70% on the SACs, and the person who came 50th had an average of 50%. Say you have an average of 55%. If you take your relative distance from 50th and 25th, you're one-quarter of the way between 50% and 70% (70-50 = 20, 55-50 = 5, 5/20 = 1/4). Now, the 25th rank on the exam (not necessarily the same as 25th on the SACs) gets a 90%, and the person ranked 50th on the exam gets a 60%. When your SAC marks are adjusted, you'll maintain this same relative distance from the 25th scorer on the SACs and 50th, while the 25th rank and 50th rank on the SACs will have their SAC scores adjusted to 60% and 90% respectively, so your SAC mark would be scaled to 67.5% (90-60 = 30, 30/4 = 7.5, 60+7.5 = 67.5).

You don't really need to understand the maths, just know that it's not at all locked in right now, and it's going to be down to how other people perform on the exam. If people perform super well, that's great. But to get an A+ on the SACs being ranked around 40th, you'd probably need 50th place to get around an A or even an A+ depending on your relative distance between 25th and 50th, which might be unlikely. Of course, if the top 25 students in your cohort perform amazingly, that'll drag up your score too. Point is, there's a whole bunch of factors involved that you have no control over, so just focus on doing what you can do. The exam makes up a big portion of your mark, so hey, if you do well enough, you won't even need others to do particularly well. Don't stress yourself over it, you'll bring down your own performance.

spursy

• Forum Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2019, 07:57:49 pm »
thanks Massimooo123 needed that confidence boost before tomorrow

lleeea

• Trendsetter
  • dont judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2019, 09:14:06 pm »
Omg im so scared. i feel like i havent donr enaything for english this year. Hope the topics are doable and not too hard. And hope the lang analysis doesnt throw everyone off!!!!