Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:54:52 am

Author Topic: COVID-19 and Education  (Read 84170 times)  Share 

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
Re: COVID-19 and Education
« Reply #240 on: August 02, 2020, 03:48:43 pm »
+13

The GAT has also been moved to early term 4, with no confirmed dates. The exam dates haven't moved.

I'm feeling quite anxious if i'm honest. Some of my marks have slipped due to being in full lockdown before, so going back to even tougher restrictions is very scary. Like others this really was needed, and I do hope this brings down the numbers. One of the biggest things i'm scared about is my ATAR, I have no idea if i'm going to be able to achieve what I wanted, so I guess it's just a waiting game.
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

• MOTM: July 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +158
« Reply #241 on: August 02, 2020, 04:24:04 pm »
+7
What? The GAT's no longer on the 9th of September?
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-02/coronavirus-australia-live-news-covid19-latest-victoria/12515596
Here you go.
Quote from: Alicia Nally (ABC)
The GAT, or General Achievement Test for year 12 students, will be moved from the end of term three to the start of term four.

brothanathan

« Reply #242 on: August 02, 2020, 04:28:44 pm »
+9
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-02/coronavirus-australia-live-news-covid19-latest-victoria/12515596
Here you go.

Thanks! Here's the transcript for the convenience of others:

The GAT, or General Achievement Test for year 12 students, will be moved from the end of term three to the start of term four.

VCE exam dates will not change. Exams will finish by December 2.

Year 12 students will receive their ATARs by the end of the year.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 05:02:19 pm by brothanathan »

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #243 on: August 02, 2020, 06:01:01 pm »
+10
Honestly dislike online learning but despite that I'm keen for these restrictions! The daily number of cases is alarming, gone are the good old days of 17 new cases headlines. I think I'll be alright in online learning, I just need to keep on top of exercising and eating properly so that I dont end up living off noodles and doing 2,000 steps a day cause im at my desk from 7am - 9pm
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

Massimo1

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #244 on: August 02, 2020, 06:18:52 pm »
+5
I think this was definitely a necessary step to take, and I actually liked remote learning considering it saves me around 90 minutes of travel time each day and the need to wake up to a cold morning. My school implemented remote learning relatively decently, and I've always been the type of person to get things done independently rather than needing to rely on others.
Dreamed it, then real lifed it - well, still trying (;

2019: Health & Human Development
2020: Biology, Chemistry, English, Global Politics, Methods

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #245 on: August 02, 2020, 06:49:35 pm »
+11
I feel stressed. Feel like saying goodbye to my ATAR lol. I absolutely hate remote learning because I don't learn at all, but I hope that as a result of these restrictions community transmission/spread of the virus can be minimised as much as possible. I mean, at least we don't need to wear masks for 5-6 hours a day anymore since we'll be stuck at home? Haha. It really wasn't a matter of if we would have stage 4 restrictions, it was a matter of when, and at least they're doing it now rather than later. I'm not really fussed about the curfew/exercise/travel restrictions because me/my family were already subconsciously following those, but I wonder what it'll be like if you live in a suburb where some essentials are over 5km away (if they exist?).

I can only imagine what small businesses and the like would be going through - my thoughts go out to them. I feel horrible 'complaining' about the situation since many have it way, way worse than me, but the fact is that remote learning sucks for me and I have no idea how I'm going to keep on top of everything. I'm just expressing my personal concerns, they're very minor in the grand scheme of things because being in year 12 isn't of significance compared to what everyone else in the state/country/world is going through. Pretty much my only concern is from my standpoint as a year 12 as I worry about the future/getting into uni/how the hell will I ever be able to get a decent ATAR anymore. Especially the whole thing with online SACs - doing validation tasks back at school for them is stressful too and it's almost impossible to monitor things like cheating. Also worried they will push SACs back, making them closer to exam time.

Overall I'm glad they imposed the restrictions. Can't help feeling stressed though.
You're definitely allowed to be stressed, upset and disappointed about this - we all have emotions and we are all affected by this!

Re: ATAR, wouldn't be too stressed about it going down the drain as this situation is affecting everyone, so everyone else is also having their learning disrupted. Obviously some people will be affected worse than others, but take comfort in knowing you're not alone :)

Just to re-iterate - we're all here for you! Don't be afraid to reach out. The only way we can get through things like these is if we work together and support each other.

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #246 on: August 02, 2020, 08:53:27 pm »
+9
I think this was definitely a necessary step to take, and I actually liked remote learning considering it saves me around 90 minutes of travel time each day and the need to wake up to a cold morning. My school implemented remote learning relatively decently, and I've always been the type of person to get things done independently rather than needing to rely on others.
Same! I mean for me it was around two, two and a half hours all told between morning and afternoon.

2020 year 12 our ATARs will be all in the same boat. K888, I reiterate what you are saying also. Personally, having been the only student staying at home for my school's year 12 class for the last couple of weeks, I'm pretty happy with everyone going home (not for selfish if-I-have-to-I-want-you-to-too, but because it's easier for both teachers and classes if everything is either online or at school).
Some of my class is going yay we get to stay home, while others are going there goes me working hard. Unfortunately, my best skill learnt in quarantine seems to have been simply learning how to work on other (and sometimes non-school-related) things while the teacher's talking whooshes straight past me (which also means I might be procrastinating without doing anything useful). :-/ Non-ideal.
Hopefully better this time around...
If anyone needs fellow-year-12 commiseration, I can commiserate...
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

eloisegrace

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her ~ class of 2021
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #247 on: August 02, 2020, 09:50:12 pm »
+8
While I think this is definitely necessary, I am still very sad about it :(. I am extremely lucky to say that my school had a great online learning model so I am pretty sure my education will not be affected. I am a little worried about the GAT not having a set date but it is good that exams are still in place.

My concern is mental health and my social wellbeing. I am definitely an extrovert and I will miss being able to see lots of people every day. Yes, we can FaceTime and text but it is not the same. I am glad that we are still able to exercise with one other person regardless if they live with you or not as this means that I can have a socially distanced little catch up with a friend who lives close to me.
2020 - mathematical methods [42] | further mathematics [45]
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #248 on: August 02, 2020, 09:56:29 pm »
+4
I am a little worried about the GAT not having a set date but it is good that exams are still in place.
My school told me that the GAT is 10th of October, hopefully this is accurate and can ease your worries :)
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #249 on: August 02, 2020, 10:10:50 pm »
+7
Obviously all the changes are necessary and I support them. There really wasn't any other option but to tighten restrictions.

Unfortunately, I feel this may also further widen the gap between those in low and high SES in terms of VCE. Hopefully, we see some announcements with regards to resources to help students with online learning.

turinturambar

• Forum Obsessive
  • TΪRIN TURAMBAR DAGNIR GLAURUNGA
  • Respect: +184
« Reply #250 on: August 02, 2020, 11:01:07 pm »
+6
I can only imagine what small businesses and the like would be going through - my thoughts go out to them. I feel horrible 'complaining' about the situation since many have it way, way worse than me, but the fact is that remote learning sucks for me and I have no idea how I'm going to keep on top of everything. I'm just expressing my personal concerns, they're very minor in the grand scheme of things because being in year 12 isn't of significance compared to what everyone else in the state/country/world is going through.

It is always OK worrying about how things will affect you personally.  It's good to have the perspective to see that others have it worse, but that doesn't mean that your concerns don't matter.
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” – Neil Gaiman

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #251 on: August 03, 2020, 02:51:11 am »
+3
Obviously all the changes are necessary and I support them. There really wasn't any other option but to tighten restrictions.

Unfortunately, I feel this may also further widen the gap between those in low and high SES in terms of VCE. Hopefully, we see some announcements with regards to resources to help students with online learning.

Important to note - I was recently shown some data that suggested COVID had /already/ done this with the little it's already been out and about (I don't remember the specifics and so can't prove this AT ALL, so feel free to disregard this entirely while I try and find that study again...), so it's likely that this will exacerbate the issue.

eloisegrace

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her ~ class of 2021
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #252 on: August 03, 2020, 12:17:07 pm »
+3
Last Day Update: I was expecting today (Monday) to be our last day on campus however my private school is still running on campus learning tomorrow as we are already prepared for online learning. I was prepared for today to be our last day however I am happy that I can see my friends for another day :)

I wonder if any other independant/catholic schools are doing this?

2020 - mathematical methods [42] | further mathematics [45]
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #253 on: August 03, 2020, 12:42:49 pm »
Last Day Update: I was expecting today (Monday) to be our last day on campus however my private school is still running on campus learning tomorrow as we are already prepared for online learning. I was prepared for today to be our last day however I am happy that I can see my friends for another day :)

I wonder if any other independant/catholic schools are doing this?
One class of mine is having class tomorrow, tho' I don't think the rest are.
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
« Reply #254 on: August 03, 2020, 04:45:34 pm »
+8
According to this timetable by VCAA
https://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/administration/Key-dates/Pages/2020RevisedAdminDates.aspx

The GAT will be held on the Wednesday the 7th of October .