Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:30:44 am

Author Topic: Subject Review Requests  (Read 214117 times)  Share 

Paulrus

• No exam discussion
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +102
Re: Subject Review Requests
« Reply #150 on: November 10, 2015, 01:43:18 am »
I have a few friends who did German 5 and they said it sucked as well, so clearly there's something up with the level 5 language subjects haha.

Has anyone done Indonesian 1? If so it'd be great if someone could do a review of it. I need to find a breadth subject for next semester and I really like languages, so I'm kiiiinda leaning towards it. I would have loved to do French and Spanish (or Greek if they offered it), but Arts kids can only do Asian languages as breath so I'm leaning towards Indo instead.
2015-2017: Bachelor of Arts (Psychology) at University of Melbourne.

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #151 on: November 10, 2015, 02:14:15 am »
I have a few friends who did German 5 and they said it sucked as well, so clearly there's something up with the level 5 language subjects haha.

Has anyone done Indonesian 1? If so it'd be great if someone could do a review of it. I need to find a breadth subject for next semester and I really like languages, so I'm kiiiinda leaning towards it. I would have loved to do French and Spanish (or Greek if they offered it), but Arts kids can only do Asian languages as breath so I'm leaning towards Indo instead.
seriously consider chinese 1. it is very very easy (if you do the work, of which there is little) and it is arguably one of the most useful languages to learn + people will look at your transcript and say "wow such a good score in chinese? isnt it a really hard langauge? this lad must be smart"
classes are also great fun, everyone is friendly, teachers are awesome, basically its the best case scenario imaginable for a university subject LOL

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
« Reply #152 on: November 10, 2015, 12:50:16 pm »
Haha just going to jump in and say that Italian 5 is also known for not being a terribly great subject either (and it's rather difficult). XD Italian 1-4 shouldn't be a problem though, and the workload was lighter than all my Biomedicine/Science subjects.
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #153 on: November 10, 2015, 02:11:59 pm »
+1
Confession: I learnt French from Years 7-11.  ;)
However, I really don't remember much. Thanks so much guys! I think I shall do it :)

I'd be surprised if they let you do French 1 then. They're pretty strict nowadays on entry because plenty of people had, previously, been taking language subjects to bump up their GPA.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #154 on: November 10, 2015, 02:46:59 pm »
+2
I'd be surprised if they let you do French 1 then. They're pretty strict nowadays on entry because plenty of people had, previously, been taking language subjects to bump up their GPA.

^

With Year 11 knowledge your entry point will most likely be French 3. They'll make you sit an online placement test just to be sure, but if they found out you did French in Year 11 (remember, VCE Units 1 & 2 subjects do show up on the transcript) you'd have to make a pretty good case to be allowed into the French 1 class. If you're lucky, they might ask you to wait a semester and enter in at French 2, but I strongly doubt you'd get permission to join French 1.

nino quincampoix

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #155 on: November 10, 2015, 11:55:22 pm »
^

With Year 11 knowledge your entry point will most likely be French 3. They'll make you sit an online placement test just to be sure, but if they found out you did French in Year 11 (remember, VCE Units 1 & 2 subjects do show up on the transcript) you'd have to make a pretty good case to be allowed into the French 1 class. If you're lucky, they might ask you to wait a semester and enter in at French 2, but I strongly doubt you'd get permission to join French 1.

Can confirm that year 11 knowledge will place the student into French 3 under normal circumstances.
BSci
MD

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #156 on: November 11, 2015, 12:25:12 am »
+1
Can confirm that year 11 knowledge will place the student into French 3 under normal circumstances.

Well the scenario in question was the exact same one I was in at the start of first year having done Year 11 Italian, and I was allocated into the Italian 3 class.

katiesaliba

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
  • School: The University of Melbourne
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #157 on: November 11, 2015, 04:52:29 pm »
Well the scenario in question was the exact same one I was in at the start of first year having done Year 11 Italian, and I was allocated into the Italian 3 class.

This is annoying because I barely learnt anything from years 7-10 (bad school). I don't feel that I ever actually learnt the fundamentals, which is why I didn't take it in year 12. Oh well  :( Thanks for the heads up, guys  :)

(I tried taking a placement test but the program crashed so I exited it and now I can't redo the test...??)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 05:23:12 pm by katiesaliba »
Bachelor of Science (Immunology major) - The University of Melbourne

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #158 on: November 11, 2015, 05:38:51 pm »
This is annoying because I barely learnt anything from years 7-10 (bad school). I don't feel that I ever actually learnt the fundamentals, which is why I didn't take it in year 12. Oh well  :( Thanks for the heads up, guys  :)

(I tried taking a placement test but the program crashed so I exited it and now I can't redo the test...??)

Honestly, don't let it worry you. I found that I learnt very little new content grammar-wise in Italian 3 - most of it was content covered in Years 10-11 of high school Italian. Rather, the focus was on becoming more confident with the aspects of the language that was learnt in Italian 1 and 2 (so we did a lot more speaking and listening to each other in Italian - for the first time everything we did was in the Italian medium). I mainly started learning new grammar points in Italian 4, and there was a noticeable shift away from "growing comfortable and using the language" so to speak. Obviously, I'm not sure I can say the same for the French subjects, but I'd presume there would be some similarity.

If it's particularly concerning you, having a talk to the French staff about where your skills are at and where you should be placed might be worth it. To me, the chances of you potentially being asked to enter in at French 2 seem viable, but I'm still doubtful they'd let you in at French 1.

Paulrus

• No exam discussion
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #159 on: November 11, 2015, 07:22:25 pm »
seriously consider chinese 1. it is very very easy (if you do the work, of which there is little) and it is arguably one of the most useful languages to learn + people will look at your transcript and say "wow such a good score in chinese? isnt it a really hard langauge? this lad must be smart"
classes are also great fun, everyone is friendly, teachers are awesome, basically its the best case scenario imaginable for a university subject LOL
Yeah I was considering Chinese as well but the idea of learning all the characters/tones seems really daunting haha. If you're saying it's not that bad though then I might start leaning towards it... Hm maybe I should write up a pros and cons list lol
2015-2017: Bachelor of Arts (Psychology) at University of Melbourne.

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
« Reply #160 on: November 12, 2015, 12:32:22 am »
Yeah I was considering Chinese as well but the idea of learning all the characters/tones seems really daunting haha. If you're saying it's not that bad though then I might start leaning towards it... Hm maybe I should write up a pros and cons list lol
should've clarified that the characters are pretty bad :P but you get used to it and the rest of the language is pretty simple and pretty cool. tones aren't too bad either, especially in the first year of chinese they take it very easy on you with the tones. all in all indonesian or something would probably be easier, but alot of the kids that do jap + chinese say that chinese is easier than jap so im thinking the difficulty scale is something like indo<chinese<<<japanese

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #161 on: November 13, 2015, 02:55:44 pm »
Has anyone done or know someone who has done LING20011 Grammar of English? I really wanted to study a linguistics subject at university and I was intending to do LING10001 The Secret Life of Language until EURO10002 Eurovisions became a thing (both are in semester 2, so I can only pick one). XD This one's available in semester 1, is a level 2 breadth and doesn't seem to require any prior linguistics knowledge. Is it one of those problem-based subjects? How demanding is the workload? Is it any good? Anything else I should know? Thanks.

If that doesn't work out, I'll probably do FOOD20003 Food Chemistry, Biology and Nutrition.

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
« Reply #162 on: November 13, 2015, 04:38:44 pm »
+2
Has anyone done or know someone who has done LING20011 Grammar of English? I really wanted to study a linguistics subject at university and I was intending to do LING10001 The Secret Life of Language until EURO10002 Eurovisions became a thing (both are in semester 2, so I can only pick one). XD This one's available in semester 1, is a level 2 breadth and doesn't seem to require any prior linguistics knowledge. Is it one of those problem-based subjects? How demanding is the workload? Is it any good? Anything else I should know? Thanks.

If that doesn't work out, I'll probably do FOOD20003 Food Chemistry, Biology and Nutrition.
Yarp. Did it Semester 1 this year and would absolutely recommend it. I'll hopefully post a full review sometime next week - I was holding off till the end of this Semester since I did Syntax and wanted to assess them after doing both.

Pre-emptive spoiler: it's an awesome subject that was run by Lesley Stirling when I did it (an utterly wonderful lady and amazing lecturer) but will most likely be taken by Peter Hurst next year (who was the lecturer for Syntax and was magniflorious) so you've pretty much got the best in the department. Not having done any linguistics at all isn't much of a disadvantage since the first few weeks go through all the basics, but it ramps up a tiny bit when you start getting into fluid sentence structures and 'thematic variations' eg. (what is the role of 'it' in 'It's raining today'?) but so long as you've got a grip on the lingo, you'll be fine.

There are weekly assignments that are definitely worth doing, plus two bigger ones over the course of the Semester. The exam was pretty fair, and no surprise to those who had been keeping up with work in tutes. It's not as problem-based as Secret Life in which you get a whole bunch of data sets (ie. lists of words or clauses from different languages with translations) and are told to break apart which words or sounds are which.
eg. pg 2 and 4 of this thing are like amped up versions of what's done in Secret Life.

But because GofE centres on English in particular, there's a bit more theory and rationalisation behind the scenes as opposed to just logic puzzles. There were still quite a few Science and Biomed kids in GofE doing it as a breadth though, and it's certainly not as 'artsy' as stuff like 'Language and Society in Europe,' but even amidst some of the drier content weeks, you'll look at cool things like why adjectives have to be in a certain order (ie. you have to say 'the tall cruel American man' and can't say 'the American tall cruel man' without it sounding weird) or how
... well I think it's cool, at least  :P

Happy to PM you a sample of the tute exercises if you want an idea of what those were like :)

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #163 on: November 13, 2015, 05:41:11 pm »
Yarp. Did it Semester 1 this year and would absolutely recommend it. I'll hopefully post a full review sometime next week - I was holding off till the end of this Semester since I did Syntax and wanted to assess them after doing both.

Pre-emptive spoiler: it's an awesome subject that was run by Lesley Stirling when I did it (an utterly wonderful lady and amazing lecturer) but will most likely be taken by Peter Hurst next year (who was the lecturer for Syntax and was magniflorious) so you've pretty much got the best in the department. Not having done any linguistics at all isn't much of a disadvantage since the first few weeks go through all the basics, but it ramps up a tiny bit when you start getting into fluid sentence structures and 'thematic variations' eg. (what is the role of 'it' in 'It's raining today'?) but so long as you've got a grip on the lingo, you'll be fine.

There are weekly assignments that are definitely worth doing, plus two bigger ones over the course of the Semester. The exam was pretty fair, and no surprise to those who had been keeping up with work in tutes. It's not as problem-based as Secret Life in which you get a whole bunch of data sets (ie. lists of words or clauses from different languages with translations) and are told to break apart which words or sounds are which.
eg. pg 2 and 4 of this thing are like amped up versions of what's done in Secret Life.

But because GofE centres on English in particular, there's a bit more theory and rationalisation behind the scenes as opposed to just logic puzzles. There were still quite a few Science and Biomed kids in GofE doing it as a breadth though, and it's certainly not as 'artsy' as stuff like 'Language and Society in Europe,' but even amidst some of the drier content weeks, you'll look at cool things like why adjectives have to be in a certain order (ie. you have to say 'the tall cruel American man' and can't say 'the American tall cruel man' without it sounding weird) or how
... well I think it's cool, at least  :P

Happy to PM you a sample of the tute exercises if you want an idea of what those were like :)

Thanks so much, Lauren! :) To be honest, it sounds pretty interesting! I've always been interested in learning languages and after finishing Italian last year I feel like there's been a bit of a void in my studies. However, I like the different focus linguistics brings to the whole subject area. The fact that it isn't as problem-based actually doesn't bother me that much - like perhaps many Science/Biomedicine students, I'm just not keen on essay writing (which eliminates a tonne of subjects). :P Most seem to opt for Commerce subjects, but personally I find that area boring as. =_= And I'm not up for those rather creative intensives that many flock to.

My biggest concern is the disadvantage in not having done LING10001 beforehand. One thing that caught my attention is the lack of "recommended background knowledge" in the handbook. Honestly, would it be at all jarring or difficult to take LING20011 without LING10001? If not, I think I may lock it in for next year! :)

Nikaf

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #164 on: November 13, 2015, 07:34:12 pm »
Has anyone done ENGL30046 Romancing the Medieval, or anything else similar?

Thanks so much :)