Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 05:35:58 am

Author Topic: 2019 Monash New Student Thread  (Read 66670 times)  Share 

harunaa

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: 2019 Monash New Student Thread
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2019, 02:10:30 am »
hi, i'm on the allocate+ website and could someone clarify what the things under the 'activities' tab like this mean: 01-P1 / 01-P2 and 02-P1 / 02-P2? are 01 and 02 the same class?
also, why is it that some activities have much higher preferences than others despite being on at the same day and time, with the only difference being a slight change in location?

Novashock

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • someone save me
« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2019, 02:22:34 am »
It doesnt matter how you construct your course you could do 1 chem and 1 astrophysics or two chem etc.

And yes you complete minors over a whole degree (not just 1 year) as usually you wont be able to do all the units from one minor at the same time due to prereqs

Just a few things to be mindful of
-prerequisites (which units do you need completed to progress in that minor)
-are the units run on first semester or second (or both)
-maximum 10 first year units in your course (6 of these are taken up by core units)

ahhh i see !!! so does that mean there is a limit to the number of units i can take? like can i do chem 1, chem 2 and physics? or is it just 2 per year (one for sem 1 and one for sem 2?)
2017 | Psychology
2018 | English, Methods,  HHD, Biology, Chemistry
2019 | BBiomedSc @ Monash University
2022 | MD @ Deakin University

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +278
« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2019, 09:01:36 am »
+3
Hi again, I just had a quick question:

If a unit which I’m planning on taking in semester 2 says that a prerequisite of it is ‘Twelve credit points of first-year Arts units’ does that mean that I can take it in semester 2 as long as I pass 2 arts units (6 points each) in semester 1?
Thanks!
That's also my interpretation of it! If it lets you enrol on WES, you should be fine :)

hi, i'm on the allocate+ website and could someone clarify what the things under the 'activities' tab like this mean: 01-P1 / 01-P2 and 02-P1 / 02-P2? are 01 and 02 the same class?
also, why is it that some activities have much higher preferences than others despite being on at the same day and time, with the only difference being a slight change in location?
The first number (01 or 02) represents the activity number, which are repeats of the same class each week. You only need to select and attend on of these. The number with a P (P1 and P2) are different parts (i.e. Part 1 and Part 2) to the same activity - you must attend both of these during the week. Click here for more info :)

ahhh i see !!! so does that mean there is a limit to the number of units i can take? like can i do chem 1, chem 2 and physics? or is it just 2 per year (one for sem 1 and one for sem 2?)
You can only do 1 elective per semester (except for 3rd year, as you mentioned). What Sine meant by "first year units" is level 1 units (any unit starting with a 1) - these can be done in any year (i.e. at any time), but you can only do a maximum of 10 of them throughout your degree. Since you already have 6 level 1 units as part of your biomed core units, this means you can only take up to 4x level 1 electives. You can still do chem 1, 2 and physics, but you'd only be able to do 2 in first year.

Warning: You cannot enrol in PHS1001 Foundation physics as a biomed student - this is because it is a prohibited unit with BMS1031 (your biomed physics unit), as there is a large amount of overlap between the units. Here is the link to the PHS1001 unit page - towards the top, you can find the 'Prohibitions' subheading.
VCE 2015-16
2017-20: BSc (Stats)/BBiomedSc [Monash]

hazel_motes

• Adventurer
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2019, 09:54:03 am »
will i be at a significant disadvantage if i enrol in units later rather than sooner? i'm thinking of going in to see the science service desk but that can only happen monday at the earliest. it seems like lots of people have already enrolled and have made timetables, so i'm kind of worrying everything will fill up by the time i get there next week lmao

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2019, 09:59:06 am »
+1
will i be at a significant disadvantage if i enrol in units later rather than sooner? i'm thinking of going in to see the science service desk but that can only happen monday at the earliest. it seems like lots of people have already enrolled and have made timetables, so i'm kind of worrying everything will fill up by the time i get there next week lmao
Since at Monash we use a preference system for allocating classes, you shouldn't be at any disadvantage as long as you enter your preferences before the closing date (29/1). However, there are a small minority of classes which are first in best dressed, but these are only usually restricted to lecture times. Also, since most first year units have so many students doing them, they usually account for that, and so you shouldn't miss out on a spot (in fact, some might even organise extra classes if enrolments get too big).
VCE 2015-16

hazel_motes

• Adventurer
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2019, 10:54:04 am »
Since at Monash we use a preference system for allocating classes, you shouldn't be at any disadvantage as long as you enter your preferences before the closing date (29/1). However, there are a small minority of classes which are first in best dressed, but these are only usually restricted to lecture times. Also, since most first year units have so many students doing them, they usually account for that, and so you shouldn't miss out on a spot (in fact, some might even organise extra classes if enrolments get too big).

alright, thank you!  :)

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2019, 11:36:49 am »
+2
and Yes it's fine to have consecutive classes. This is because each lecture is meant to start on the hour and ends 10 minutes before than what it says on the timetable. E.g. A lecture would run from 1.00 to 1.50 leaving you 10 minutes to get to your 2.00.
If it does run over time (not often), you can still leave while the lecturer's still talking. Just be quiet and leave silently - that's it. They generally don't judge unless you're the only person there. The same can be said if you're taking a bathroom break.
For anyone that's enrolled in LOTE units (above beginner), did you physically have to go to Monash to get that sorted, or is there a way for this request to be handled via an email? My placement test says that I can forward the results of the placement test to ask.monash, but I can't find an email address for this..
Looks like you already got this sorted. I did Japanese as a minor btw, so PM me if you want to talk about my experiences.
Some people have figured that their mates are in the same class and will take it with them. Some people realise it's closer to their previous or next class, so they take it. Some people just take it because it's popular. Some people pick that one because it's first out of the options, so they pick it because they don't realise there's a difference at all between them and just take the first one because it's the first one on the list. 
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

fruitbowl34

• Trailblazer
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2019, 12:58:48 pm »
Hey everyone, I'm really confused as to how many units we need to take each semester/year. I'm doing a bachelor of psych and it splits the units into 4 parts (Part A, B, C, etc), In Part A there are quite a few units listed, does it matter if I just choose the units I want to do (If i meet the prereqs)? Or do I have to follow a certain timetable? Also would I have to evenly divide the units from each part?

Thanks so much, and sorry for all the questions I'm really confused!

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2019, 01:13:05 pm »
+1
Hey everyone, I'm really confused as to how many units we need to take each semester/year. I'm doing a bachelor of psych and it splits the units into 4 parts (Part A, B, C, etc), In Part A there are quite a few units listed, does it matter if I just choose the units I want to do (If i meet the prereqs)? Or do I have to follow a certain timetable? Also would I have to evenly divide the units from each part?

Thanks so much, and sorry for all the questions I'm really confused!

I suggest using the 2019 course guide that is found in the handbook to assist in structuring your course. Each 'part' requires you to do a certain amount. Luckily, a lot of the BPsych is already set in stone.

A regular load is 4 units a semester (8 units a year). If you use the above link, it clearly lays out 6 core units you need to put in for your first year, and then you need to decide on 2 free electives (one for each semester). These can come from any faculty as long as you meet the prerequisites.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:15:31 pm by www »
2017~2020 (Monash) | BA, BA(Hons)Psy
2021~ | job! - AN hiatus, it's been fun here (:

yebavin

• Adventurer
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2019, 01:38:51 pm »
Hey guys,
On the allocate+ site, i chose my preferred times for everything, then tried to use the planner function. when i did it said that one of my assessments couldn't be added because it clashes with one of the lectures for the same subject. The assessment is only for one day, will it be fixed for me when it goes through?

brynstar

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2019, 01:58:19 pm »
Hey! Back again with the questions about language units. So I got arts to enrol me in the correct units and they're showing up on the web enrolment system but not on Allocate+? They only did this about an hour ago so is it possible that Allocate+ takes time to update? Or do I have to somehow get someone to change Allocate for me as well?
2016 - Indonesian SL (43)
2017 - Psychology ( 47)
2018 - Literature (50 + Premier's Award), French (45), Latin (35), Deakin Accelerate Psychological Science (5.0) ATAR - 99.85

2019 - Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Arts @ Monash University

Now selling essays on Twelfth Night, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and Ariel and General Conversation Notes for French! PM for details!

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2019, 02:17:52 pm »
+2
Hey! Back again with the questions about language units. So I got arts to enrol me in the correct units and they're showing up on the web enrolment system but not on Allocate+? They only did this about an hour ago so is it possible that Allocate+ takes time to update? Or do I have to somehow get someone to change Allocate for me as well?
Give it a few hours. It takes the system a little to kick in. Happened with my Japanese units from what I remember.

Hey guys,
On the allocate+ site, i chose my preferred times for everything, then tried to use the planner function. when i did it said that one of my assessments couldn't be added because it clashes with one of the lectures for the same subject. The assessment is only for one day, will it be fixed for me when it goes through?
Depends on the assessment usually. If it's basically the only time you can do the assessment, it'll force a clash anyway. Just be careful that the lecture doesn't have any assessment in it either (e.g. clicker stuff, mid sem tests) when you get more information regarding units down the line. If not, you might get your second choice. 

EDIT: Please read VanillaRice's post below. Reckon that's definitely the way to go.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:35:15 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2019, 02:25:46 pm »
+1
Hey guys,
It might be best to request timetable help via this form. If the assessment only has one time, then when Allocate+ closes it should automatically clash with the lecture (meaning you'd have to skip the lecture. But, to be sure, I'd recommend filling out the help form :) (Everything should be fine though)
VCE 2015-16

yebavin

• Adventurer
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2019, 02:47:01 pm »
It might be best to request timetable help via this form. If the assessment only has one time, then when Allocate+ closes it should automatically clash with the lecture (meaning you'd have to skip the lecture. But, to be sure, I'd recommend filling out the help form :) (Everything should be fine though)
Thanks for your help VanillaRice and Angelwings! I have to ask one tiny thing about the form, do i say yes to requesting a clash?

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2019, 04:14:29 pm »
When there is a prohibition for a subject, does this mean that it cannot be undertaken during the same semester, or in the same year?
I may be wrong, but it means that if you are taking/have taken the prohibited unit, you cannot enrol in the unit. It doesn't matter if it is in the semester or year or another year :)
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!