Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:37:57 am

Author Topic: Jimmy's Law & Commerce Contemplations  (Read 8957 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: Jimmy's Law & Arts Contemplations
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2020, 03:45:15 pm »
+2
Either way, I hear Uni is a party scene anyway?   :-X

From my experience, it's pretty malleable, and can be what you make it. Lots of parties if you want to go to lots of parties, no parties if you want to go to no parties, and pretty much everything in the middle.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2020, 03:52:13 pm »
+2
Welcome back Joseph!

It was a brief thought, but I'm honestly still feeling a bit scarred from my EngLang exam. Probably one of the most distressing memories of my life sitting in that room watching the clock click down and my mind being in all sorts trying to hit the heights I was hoping for. I know it shouldn't affect me, but it currently still lies in the back of my brain.
Define 'have fun'? I literally have no interest in clubbing or going out to parties, and I'm experiencing some withdrawals from doing nothing 'educational'. Either way, I hear Uni is a party scene anyway?   :-X
Ehh I don't really have an interest in those things either tbh Really just do anything you enjoy which you feel you may not have enough time for during the university semester.

I think the "party scene" of university is a bit overstated, like J41 said it is really up to you on how involved you want to be and what sort of activities you want to do.

jinaede1342

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2020, 03:57:06 pm »
+1
Hi Jimmmy! Can’t help but notice we have a lot of things in common;

- both did Global Politics
- both hoping to study Law @ Monash next year
- both experiencing education withdrawal lol

How are you planning to prepare for the course if anything at all? I’m feeling a little nervous about the workload (and fail rate), and I haven’t even gotten started with uni, its like I can’t shake off an imposter syndrome complex. Anyway, its great to know that there are other people here on AN studying similar courses.
VCE: | English [48] | Global Politics [44] | Biology [40] | Chemistry [36] | French [34] | Methods [32]
ATAR: 98.40
2020: Bachelor of Laws (honours)/ Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash

Selling Global Politics responses + English/Global feedback and essay correction: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=189680.0

Global Politics Tuition via Zoom - PM for details

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2020, 04:41:29 pm »
I'm curious, what is the fail rate for law at Monash (or just uni in general)?
I can't say for sure (don't have any data) but anecdotally (from lecturer's talking and past students) fail rates differ quite a bit some courses it can be as little as <5% whilst others as much as 30% possibly more. Generally Engineering Units tend to have the highest fail rates.

If you stay consistent during the semester and do the allocated work and keep up to date with assessments you shouldn't have to worry about it.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2020, 07:45:53 pm »
Welcome back Joseph!

It was a brief thought, but I'm honestly still feeling a bit scarred from my EngLang exam. Probably one of the most distressing memories of my life sitting in that room watching the clock click down and my mind being in all sorts trying to hit the heights I was hoping for. I know it shouldn't affect me, but it currently still lies in the back of my brain.
Define 'have fun'? I literally have no interest in clubbing or going out to parties, and I'm experiencing some withdrawals from doing nothing 'educational'. Either way, I hear Uni is a party scene anyway?   :-X

Uni is a party scene for some people, for others, not so much. There's so much going on at uni that no one can do everything anyway so those of us who aren't big partiers certainly aren't social outcasts or something :)

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +154
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2020, 12:46:29 am »
+2
Hi Jimmmy! Can’t help but notice we have a lot of things in common;

- both did Global Politics
- both hoping to study Law @ Monash next year
- both experiencing education withdrawal lol

How are you planning to prepare for the course if anything at all? I’m feeling a little nervous about the workload (and fail rate), and I haven’t even gotten started with uni, its like I can’t shake off an imposter syndrome complex. Anyway, its great to know that there are other people here on AN studying similar courses.
Hey Jinaede! Yes that is cool, you did amazing in GloPol and with your ATAR, congrats!

Despite the recommendations from Sine and others, I don't think I'll be able to resist and will probably do some light reading. It does feel a little surreal to be going into Law at Monash, but I guess the whole Uni caper feels odd too, so I guess it's probably just that. I'm not too worried about the workload or fail rate, because working hard (or being able to do so) has always been one of my strengths. Natural intelligence? Nah.

Hey Jimmmy! Just wanted to pop in and say how keen I am for your journal! I can't wait to hear more about your experience with arts/law at Monash and it's making me feel excited for uni too even though it's ages away for me.
I'm curious, what is the fail rate for law at Monash (or just uni in general)?
Thanks Prag! I feel proud to think I'm helping motivate you for the potential Uni pathway ahead. VCE definitely got me down at various points due to its structure and I feel like Uni is different, so I'm looking forward to that. On the other hand, High School has so many benefits too (eg. teachers that really care, seeing friends daily, routines and lunchtimes), so try and embrace that great stuff in school while you're there.

Uni is a party scene for some people, for others, not so much. There's so much going on at uni that no one can do everything anyway so those of us who aren't big partiers certainly aren't social outcasts or something :)
That's what I'm hoping! Everything seems really intense though. I'm on the Monash Law Facebook page and every volunteering/board opportunity seems to require a great skillset/bunch of experience. I'm really on the look out for anything extracurricular at Uni from the outset though!
2018 - 2019 (VCE): English Language, Maths Methods, Legal Studies, Global Politics, Business Management (2018), Philosophy
2020 - 2024: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash University

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2020, 04:51:25 pm »
Booking for Orientation Week through the planner is an absolute nightmare! I've been forced to split my 'bookings' through EventBrite as well as the 'Monash Shop'. Can't wait to have to delve through my emails come February and March searching for those tickets  :P

Time to begin the dissection of my inbox, which my school e-mail account was quite akin to by the end of Year 12.  :)
2018 - 2019 (VCE): English Language, Maths Methods, Legal Studies, Global Politics, Business Management (2018), Philosophy
2020 - 2024: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash University

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2020, 05:09:08 pm »
+5
Few updates!

Been a pretty chill last week or so. Playing sport, getting a passport, also been out a couple times with friends which has been nice! We got caught on Degraves Street in the CBD during the thunderstorm yesterday which was amazing (albeit a little wet). I've never been in the city during a big storm like that so it was quite an experience.

Another thing that happened yesterday was January (Round 2) offers! I got a Law/Commerce @Monash after re-arranging preferences, hmm...

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2020, 01:45:57 pm »
+4
Law/Arts or Law/Commerce.

(roughly) 11 hours left to decide.

Fun times.  :P :-[

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2020, 05:10:06 pm »
+1

Well you be 100% locked in for the remainder of your degree?
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2020, 05:14:31 pm »
+2
Well you be 100% locked in for the remainder of your degree?
I wouldn't think they would be. Internal transfers are quite possible but it may extend the degree a bit.

Currently, what are you thinking of? or are you still 50/50?

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2020, 05:34:35 pm »
+6
Comm Pros:
- very applicable skills to what I want/need to learn (accounting, balancing my finances/books, excel skills etc.).
- keeps a stronger option open for the business law side of things.
- I did BusMan in VCE and thoroughly enjoyed it.
- Seems a little more logical in terms of thinking process versus Arts, which I like.

Comm Cons:
- It seems a lot more competitive, and probably more time-consuming.
- I didn't do amazingly well in Methods (32 raw) and didn't do Accounting or Eco, so I'm going into it basically blind.
- I'm not sure how good I'll be at it.

Arts Pros:
- It's a bit of an easing into the Uni landscape from what I've heard.
- I'd probably take Int. Relations/Politics subjects, which I'm very interested in also and probably enjoy a bit more than the Comm side of things (although I've had more experience with the Int. Relations/Politics because I did GloPol in Year 12 as well as Legal).
- Lots of public figures who went into Law/Business-y things did Law/Arts anyway (if I was thinking in terms of public figures, Turnbull comes to mind).
- I'm pretty confident I'll do well in it.

Arts Cons:
- I'm not sure how those skills are valued by employers in comparison to Law/Comm graduates and other Law degrees.
- Seems like there'll be a lot of overlap from Global Politics from what I've heard, more holistic but I'm not sure what skills I'll actually be adding beyond what I learnt in Year 12.
-

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2020, 06:03:40 pm »
+4
Looks like this thread requires a name change.  :-X

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Jimmy's Law & Commerce Contemplations
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2020, 07:15:34 pm »
Looks like this thread requires a name change.  :-X

Hope you can relax a bit more now that the decision is made

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019