Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:53:02 pm

Author Topic: VCE HHD vs Physical Education  (Read 3236 times)

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
VCE HHD vs Physical Education
« on: August 08, 2020, 06:40:55 pm »
Hi,

How do VCE HHD and physical education differ?
Which is more relevant to someone looking to get into medicine/health science?

Thanks in advance.

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
Re: VCE HHD vs Physical Education
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 07:47:08 pm »
+4
Hey Snow Leopard!

HHD and PE are pretty much completely different subjects. HHD has a focus on health in Australia (including our healthcare system) and global health, as well as topics like nutrition and sustainability. PE is more to do with biomechanics and sport, fitness and exercise (I don't do PE, so I couldn't really tell you more than this. Someone on here who does PE would be able to tell you more, but you could also have a look at the study designs / your school's subject handbook / any resources such as free notes on AN for these subjects or PowerPoints from your school for more info).

For medicine, I'd say HHD is a bit more useful because it is more central to Australia's health and what is good about it and what needs improving. However, PE can help too. From hearsay, you get to learn a tiny bit of anatomy (well relatively tiny compared to health / human bio courses), but as I mentioned above, someone who does/did PE and/or resources like the study design should be able to confirm this with you.

It also depends on what kind of health course you are interested in. Courses like sport and exercise science might relate more to PE compared to nursing for instance.

Hope this helps :)
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash