Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:50:04 pm

Author Topic: Let’s talk about stress!  (Read 4727 times)

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
Let’s talk about stress!
« on: June 28, 2017, 06:16:57 pm »
+19
My own story
Being a generally rather stressful and anxious person myself, every time something made me uncomfortable or tested my limits, it always made me a perform a little bit worse.

I remember as a kid, I was asked to perform up on stage or speak at times, and I would absolutely mess up or forget things that I would normally not under normal circumstances!  There was this time in the 3rd grade that I was had to do a speech and due to that stress, I blanked out!

In year 12, I nearly had a panic attack myself as I over stressed and simply just got too negative. It started off as a normal feeling, but then it just got really heavy and strong (to the point where I felt like I was sort of dying). Fortunately, I took a bathroom break and just took 10 deep breaths and calmed myself down.
…………..
What is stress?
According to the Australian Psychological Society (2012), stress is a sense of feeling overloaded, worried and tense. We all feel it at one point of our lives, during exams, during work and maybe if we feel that we aren’t confident at something. It’s also something associated with anxiety.

What are the signs of stress?
  • Headaches
  • Insomnia
  • Indigestion
  • Anger
  • Anxiety
  • Fatigue
  • Feeling overwhelmed
  • High blood pressure
  • Getting sick easily

**STUDY burnout, which I talk about here  >>> https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=166437.msg888525#msg888525 is a very strong possibility if stress is left unchecked (as is depression)**

The balancing act
For some people stress is needed in order to motivate themselves as they tend to procrastinate or maybe lazy. For example, we all know that someone that studies or does an assignment at the last minute and somehow suddenly becomes really productive. 
Some people perform badly under stress (albeit someone like myself) and it just doesn’t help at all.
It is all about balance and knowing the right amount that pushes you, but doesn’t affect you too negatively.

How to manage stress?
> Find warning signs and triggers
Identify when the physical symptoms become strong and what are the circumstance, in which It happens. Once it happens you can know how to alleviate it at the moment (within your best ability).

> Spend time doing your own thing
Relax and take a break from study if it’s possible. Taking time away can let you get your stress levels back to normal, after that then can you resume your task.

> Exercise
Exercising helps reduce the level of cortisol, which reduces the level of stress in your body. The more intense the exercise, the better. One of the best ways is to go for a nice long run and to get lost.

> Manage Self talk
When we are stressed, we say things mentally such as “I can’t do it” or “this is too hard”, which simply just adds to the stress that we feel! Learn to say more positive things and try translate it into actionable items.
I can’t do this >>>>>> What can I do to fix this?
This is too hard! >>>>> What is hard about this and how can I resolve the issue?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 06:18:40 pm by EEEEEEP »

lyoko

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +51
  • School Grad Year: 2017
Re: Let’s talk about stress!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 12:11:58 am »
Thank-you for sharing your story with us! It truly does help to know that it's not just me that is currently experiencing this as I go through VCE :)