Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:23:58 am

Author Topic: UoM General Chat  (Read 4767605 times)  Share 

pyro-53

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +12
  • School: west side
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: UoM General Chat
« Reply #1200 on: December 12, 2012, 12:24:16 am »
Happens to all subjects, even up to final year.  The only time it doesn't happen as much is probably when there is a small class (such as third maths) where you tend to know everyone including the international students and get along with them since we collaborate.

Or it doesn't happen to the brave international students who are willing to talk to local students and willing to get along with them.  They are, unfortunately, rare in my experience.

Lol.. In bio tute, you see the rest of the room being international students and all the local students bunched up in one table only.
It's actually hilarious being the only international student on that table. So yes.. we brave ones do exist :P

I've always had an unconfirmed theory that the brave ones are mainly science students since most science students are forced to work together in pracs or tutes.  But I can't prove it.

And it's real shame that there's so few of them around.

I'm in Biomed actually but close enough. ahahah
The only time you do get forced to work together are in Pracs then after that you could just ignore the other person for the rest of eternity.
What you say is true though. I actually haven't met many International students who just get in there and mix.
I know I'm weird for digging up this conversation suddenly. But I hope this article speaks for some of us international students who actually wish to blend in.
http://union.unimelb.edu.au/farrago/my-adopted-home/us-vs-them
I also hope that regardless of whichever uni I will get into next year I still get the same welcome from AN :)
brotip #1849: don't let a bad grade define who you are or what you will become.

Mech

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Bacchanalian Batman
  • Respect: +69
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #1201 on: December 12, 2012, 04:22:07 pm »
Of course we know that it exists. We pay 10 times the university fee, double the public transport fee, get offered less jobs, have smaller wages, and sometimes we have to endure being in tutorials whose tutors show discrimination. We know—we just act as if we don’t.

How is it discrimination to charge international students more? Universities are businesses and the government is not willing to offer subsidies people who most likely wont be taxpayers or have not got family that are taxpayers in this country.
"All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce

University of Melbourne -- Bachelor of Arts, Philosophy and Politics.

I am not the best role model for your academic success, but I can spin a good yarn or browbeat you with my cynicism and musings.

pyro-53

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +12
  • School: west side
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #1202 on: December 12, 2012, 05:04:33 pm »
How is it discrimination to charge international students more? Universities are businesses and the government is not willing to offer subsidies people who most likely wont be taxpayers or have not got family that are taxpayers in this country.
The author is trying to say that some of her tutors show discrmination not the fee.
brotip #1849: don't let a bad grade define who you are or what you will become.

Mech

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Bacchanalian Batman
  • Respect: +69
« Reply #1203 on: December 12, 2012, 07:30:59 pm »
The author is trying to say that some of her tutors show discrmination not the fee.

Why are they talking about paying more in fees re: discrimination then?
"All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce

University of Melbourne -- Bachelor of Arts, Philosophy and Politics.

I am not the best role model for your academic success, but I can spin a good yarn or browbeat you with my cynicism and musings.

banditkeith

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #1204 on: December 12, 2012, 10:53:51 pm »
+1
Why are they talking about paying more in fees re: discrimination then?

I think it's more just highlighting some of the differences between international and local students.
It's a fair point that we are paying more. Why subsidise students who may not be staying in the country to contribute
to the country's skill pool? I just wish there was some kinda scheme out there that let you reimburse some amount of
funds that you have paid for education here if it is shown that you are contributing to the professional skill pool but that's a whole other issue to the one at hand...

DISCLAIMER: Please don't be offended by anything I post after here. It is just my opinion and not a generalisation. I'm also attempting to reply with about 5 hours of sleep and a 12 hour day at work so shhh....

As for the article, I completely see where it's coming from. This is my fourth year here in Melbourne and I will admit that there are still some groups that I try to get into but just feel walled away. I don't know if it's my personality or race but it's not something that I can control so I just let it be. You can't win them all.
Also, if you have an "us vs them" mentality, it's never gonna work out right. You might not get every single joke they crack but you learn over time. What I found is that if you are willing to go up and say hi, majority of the time they will respond. It's not something that will happen quickly and there will be many awkward silences but it's all part of it. As I said before, there will be groups that talk to you but you may not invite you into their circle but that's okay. It's still someone that you can consider an acquaintance.

With the jokes, you have to have an open mind about it. I found Aussie culture to be pretty chilled and straightforward so some jokes might seem a bit harsh but you can usually tell when they are seriously racist/insulting and when they are not. Just need to be a bit open minded about it. Again, from the other end of the spectrum, I have seen some pretty bad "jokes" so hmm.. It's difficult.
To be fair, there are some things that some International kids tend to do which make them pretty unpleasant and makes it more difficult to "merge the groups". Yelling out to another person in another language and strong smelling foods in libraries are never nice...

It might be because I did high school here so I saw it differently compared to someone who just started Uni here. To be fair, I do have a pretty good command of English and am generally quite outgoing so I probably found it easier. I can see how difficult it would be to have the confidence to start a conversation in a language you aren't extremely proficient in. It's all a learning process.

Please feel free to PM me if anyone wants to continue with this discussion. I would continue here but I worry that this doesn't really have anything to do with the thread...

Planck's constant

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #1205 on: December 12, 2012, 11:15:44 pm »

.I would continue here but I worry that this doesn't really have anything to do with the thread...

No mate. Yours was a great post and it has EVERYTHNING to do with the thread.

VivaTequila

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +131
« Reply #1206 on: December 13, 2012, 01:36:17 pm »
I think it's more just highlighting some of the differences between international and local students.
It's a fair point that we are paying more. Why subsidise students who may not be staying in the country to contribute
to the country's skill pool? I just wish there was some kinda scheme out there that let you reimburse some amount of
funds that you have paid for education here if it is shown that you are contributing to the professional skill pool but that's a whole other issue to the one at hand...

DISCLAIMER: Please don't be offended by anything I post after here. It is just my opinion and not a generalisation. I'm also attempting to reply with about 5 hours of sleep and a 12 hour day at work so shhh....

As for the article, I completely see where it's coming from. This is my fourth year here in Melbourne and I will admit that there are still some groups that I try to get into but just feel walled away. I don't know if it's my personality or race but it's not something that I can control so I just let it be. You can't win them all.
Also, if you have an "us vs them" mentality, it's never gonna work out right. You might not get every single joke they crack but you learn over time. What I found is that if you are willing to go up and say hi, majority of the time they will respond. It's not something that will happen quickly and there will be many awkward silences but it's all part of it. As I said before, there will be groups that talk to you but you may not invite you into their circle but that's okay. It's still someone that you can consider an acquaintance.

With the jokes, you have to have an open mind about it. I found Aussie culture to be pretty chilled and straightforward so some jokes might seem a bit harsh but you can usually tell when they are seriously racist/insulting and when they are not. Just need to be a bit open minded about it. Again, from the other end of the spectrum, I have seen some pretty bad "jokes" so hmm.. It's difficult.
To be fair, there are some things that some International kids tend to do which make them pretty unpleasant and makes it more difficult to "merge the groups". Yelling out to another person in another language and strong smelling foods in libraries are never nice...

It might be because I did high school here so I saw it differently compared to someone who just started Uni here. To be fair, I do have a pretty good command of English and am generally quite outgoing so I probably found it easier. I can see how difficult it would be to have the confidence to start a conversation in a language you aren't extremely proficient in. It's all a learning process.

Please feel free to PM me if anyone wants to continue with this discussion. I would continue here but I worry that this doesn't really have anything to do with the thread...

Re: this.

It depends on the group you are trying to get into. We have international students from Russia, Poland, and the Netherlands in our group, and surprisingly the one from the Netherlands speaks the worst English. They fully assimilated themselves into our group over the course of first year despite hardly being able to speak English. They couldn't type our names into their phones when we were exchanging numbers, etc, we had to explain the sounds of the different characters. It was that bad. But they were absolute extroverts and always made an effort to put into the conversation, even if they had no idea what the hell we were talking about. They'd find a word that they knew and they'd say something about it. It was brilliant, because they were always so funny with the language barrier. I don't think it's so much a matter of people not being able to speak the language and being inconfident about it. It's more about gauging how appropriate your personality is with respect to the social dynamics of the group you are trying to join. Most everyone in our group are major extroverts and we're all genuinely pretty interested in finding out about funky international students who don't speak our language.

My point? It's easier to join a group of extroverts that aren't exactly the dismissive type, and it's a hell of a lot easier if you're a lot more extroverted in general. Worked for me coming to Australia.

Greatness

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +103
« Reply #1207 on: December 14, 2012, 04:22:32 pm »
Nooo, the handbook says a subject is available next year, but I can't find it in the study planner for enrollment :( It looked pretty cool as well...
Not Happy. Have to enroll in something else for the time being I guess :/

nubs

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +97
« Reply #1208 on: December 19, 2012, 04:58:58 pm »
Hey, since I started my course in 2012, will I pay my fees for the rest of the course according to what each subject was worth in 2012?
For example, if in 2012 science subjects costed $500 each, and in 2013 they were worth $1000 each, and I started uni in 2012, will I only have to pay $500 per science subject for the rest of my degree? Or would I have to start paying $1000 for each science subject in 2013?

EDIT:
I was told earlier in the year that the fees for each subject would remain the same until my degree was completed, and that if a science subject had a cost of $500 in the year that I enrolled, it would remain at that cost for the rest of my degree, but I just got a statement of liability that lists a subject for the summer semester as costing  $1,045, which is what science subjects cost in 2013, almost twice as much as what they were this year.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 05:06:41 pm by nubs »
ATAR: 99.15

BSc @ UoM
2012-2014

ex oh ex oh

claireb

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #1209 on: December 19, 2012, 05:19:19 pm »
Hey, since I started my course in 2012, will I pay my fees for the rest of the course according to what each subject was worth in 2012?
For example, if in 2012 science subjects costed $500 each, and in 2013 they were worth $1000 each, and I started uni in 2012, will I only have to pay $500 per science subject for the rest of my degree? Or would I have to start paying $1000 for each science subject in 2013?

EDIT:
I was told earlier in the year that the fees for each subject would remain the same until my degree was completed, and that if a science subject had a cost of $500 in the year that I enrolled, it would remain at that cost for the rest of my degree, but I just got a statement of liability that lists a subject for the summer semester as costing  $1,045, which is what science subjects cost in 2013, almost twice as much as what they were this year.

I think it was initially that the fees would stay the same but then the government changed it so everyone has to pay the higher fees from now on.

Plan-B

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #1210 on: December 20, 2012, 03:32:57 am »
Anyone know the dates or period of 2013 summer school exams?
I have training for orientation host sometime in feb along with some other extracurricular stuff.. and am worried that exams won't finish in time.
Any ideas?

Thanks

edit:
And the dates of semester 1 registration (commerce) if possible?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 03:44:00 am by Plan-B »

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +275
« Reply #1211 on: December 20, 2012, 03:44:01 am »
+1
Anyone know the dates or period of 2013 summer school exams?
I have training for orientation host sometime in feb along with some other extracurricular stuff.. and am worried that exams won't finish in time.
Any ideas?

Thanks

"The exam period for Summer Semester runs from: 18 - 22 February 2013."

See: http://fbe.unimelb.edu.au/csc/planning/summer
2012-2014. BSc: Neuroscience. University of Melbourne.
2015-2018. Doctor of Optometry. University of Melbourne.

Unlikely to respond to any PMs these days.

Plan-B

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #1212 on: December 20, 2012, 02:40:15 pm »
Thank you. Was what I was looking for. :)

banditkeith

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #1213 on: January 01, 2013, 11:10:59 pm »
Hmm.. I am sure this has been mentioned before and I can't find where but does anyone have the date for timetabling for Sem 1 2013?

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +275
« Reply #1214 on: January 02, 2013, 06:30:52 am »
Hmm.. I am sure this has been mentioned before and I can't find where but does anyone have the date for timetabling for Sem 1 2013?

If you check out http://www.studentcentre.unimelb.edu.au/eastern/subject_information/Timetabling, i don't think they've released it
2012-2014. BSc: Neuroscience. University of Melbourne.
2015-2018. Doctor of Optometry. University of Melbourne.

Unlikely to respond to any PMs these days.