Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:51:05 pm

Author Topic: UoM General Chat  (Read 4767808 times)  Share 

Aurelian

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +79
  • School: Melbourne Grammar School
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Re: UoM General Chat
« Reply #960 on: October 15, 2012, 09:58:13 pm »
Anyone know of anyone who has successfully gone on exchange while trying to major in chemistry...? D= It's proving a massive pain ahaha
VCE 2010-2011:
English | Philosophy | Latin | Chemistry | Physics | Methods | UMEP Philosophy
ATAR: 99.95

2012-2014: BSc (Chemistry/Philosophy) @ UniMelb

Currently taking students for summer chemistry and physics tutoring! PM for details.

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
« Reply #961 on: October 16, 2012, 09:28:32 am »
Exchanging in any of the Sciences is hard...don't take subjects pertaining to your major, just take electives.
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM

VivaTequila

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +131
« Reply #962 on: October 16, 2012, 11:51:22 am »
Anyone know of anyone who has successfully gone on exchange while trying to major in chemistry...? D= It's proving a massive pain ahaha

I don't know of anyone but it's definitely possible. I'm scared though - if I'm competing against the likes of you in getting to my uni of choice in wanting to also do a Chem major...

Places are limited, ya know?

You basically just have to rule out all of Europe because they teacher undergrad in native languages for Chemistry and many other sciences. Chile, South America, Europe, the UK, and other primarily English speaking countries are your options.

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #963 on: October 17, 2012, 11:54:49 am »
Seriously, I repeat, don't try and take shit from your major. I had the opportunity and just didn't because it makes everything too murky.  Just take electives!

Aurelian

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #964 on: October 17, 2012, 06:24:49 pm »
Seriously, I repeat, don't try and take shit from your major. I had the opportunity and just didn't because it makes everything too murky.  Just take electives!

It doesn't really work like that for the majority of Science majors... Because there's such a set sequence for most of them, especially chemistry, and the subjects are only offered in one semester each year, to not do those subjects while on exchange necessarily sets you back an entire year...
VCE 2010-2011:

Currently taking students for summer chemistry and physics tutoring! PM for details.

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #965 on: October 18, 2012, 05:43:47 am »
+1

It doesn't really work like that for the majority of Science majors... Because there's such a set sequence for most of them, especially chemistry, and the subjects are only offered in one semester each year, to not do those subjects while on exchange necessarily sets you back an entire year...

Not always, I'm taking subjects from second year in the first semester of 2013 to make up for what I missed.  You are right though - chemistry has more of a set sequence than many other majors.  But for the Biological Science majors, the sequencing isn't as strict because most subjects are offered in both semesters or can be taken as corequisites...so for the 'majority' of Science majors, that's not the case.

Science is notoriously difficult to exchange in for anybody. It takes a lot of preparation to ensure your course structure allows you to go overseas but there comes a point where you have to choose what is most important to you.  And by that I mean, whether it's more important to complete your major or go on exchange.  You can try and find equivalents to your prereqs but even if you do find them, there's no guarantee you will be able to take them.  If you're trying to go to the US I would direct your attention to the massive red warning at the top of the list of partner institutions, which tells you that even if you find a subject it doesn't mean you will be able to take it.  Most universities give their home students preference, and all the classes will have set quotas.  Even if you're going somewhere in the UK or another country, the same thing is bound to happen - two friends of mine attending Unis in Britain got to take none of the subjects on their study planning sheet.  They had to request further subjects for approval via email once they had already arrived in the UK.  Luckily they did Arts so the hassle wasn't too great.  I'm even luckier in that every subject I chose to do, I was accepted into.  But the same cannot be said for everyone, and I'd be willing to bet for most other institutions aside from Penn who actually do give exchange students the same level of preference as their local students.

I might be telling you what you already know but I'm just advising you - if you do happen to find somewhere with a subject deemed equivalent by the Chemistry approval advisor then make sure you get a guarantee from your exchange institution that you will be permitted to enrol in that subject.  The hunt isn't over as soon as you come across a subject that fits the description of what is required at home, unfortunately.  If they can't guarantee you'll be let in, then I would advise against going there if it is absolutely necessary for you to take a prerequisite overseas or you will get set back a year as you said.  And you might not know it's going to happen until you've already arrived on your new campus.

Your other options are to:
a) request the home institution to take a prereq as a coreq
b) take the prereq a year early with permission to take a first year subject as a coreq...which I'm assuming you haven't done so that's probably out of the question.

I see what you're saying, and I wish you luck!

Aurelian

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #966 on: October 20, 2012, 06:00:12 pm »
Ahhh no, thank you very much, that was very helpful =)

It really all depends on whether I decide I do want to major in chemistry or not... There's the reasonable possibility of me opting to dedicate the rest of my degree entirely to the life sciences from next year onwards anyway (majors in biochemistry/molecular biology or MIIM), and if I do that then my exchange becomes an absolute breeze to organize... We shall just have to see.
VCE 2010-2011:

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +275
« Reply #967 on: October 20, 2012, 08:02:41 pm »
Intercultural communication students, how are we going with the essay??
2012-2014. BSc: Neuroscience. University of Melbourne.
2015-2018. Doctor of Optometry. University of Melbourne.

Unlikely to respond to any PMs these days.

golden

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Sharpshot
  • Respect: +102
  • School: VSC
« Reply #968 on: October 20, 2012, 09:26:18 pm »

Up to the findings, I am unsure if I am doing the right thing for any section to be honest. But yes, I will try my best nevertheless to try to guess and hopefully pass the test.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 09:30:16 pm by golden »
2014: Microbiology/Immunology Major.

Thanks to (alphabetical order):
2010: appianway. 2011: Kamil9876, laseredd, xZero. 2012: dc302, harper, marr.
Multiple times: pi, Russ, stonecold, TT.

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #969 on: October 20, 2012, 09:54:07 pm »

Up to the findings, I am unsure if I am doing the right thing for any section to be honest. But yes, I will try my best nevertheless to try to guess and hopefully pass the test.

Same finished my intro and method tonight, just got to read through it tomorrow and hopefully i'll do half of the data analysis etc. then.

The intro was pretty hard to write because it was 400 words this time, not 200 like last time :S

golden

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Sharpshot
« Reply #970 on: October 20, 2012, 10:13:22 pm »

Same finished my intro and method tonight, just got to read through it tomorrow and hopefully i'll do half of the data analysis etc. then.

The intro was pretty hard to write because it was 400 words this time, not 200 like last time :S

Yeah it's interesting how the introduction is longer than the discussion. We need to put the summary there too of our interview in the introduction of I am not mistaken?

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #971 on: October 20, 2012, 10:52:02 pm »

Yeah it's interesting how the introduction is longer than the discussion. We need to put the summary there too of our interview in the introduction of I am not mistaken?

Oh yeah it says, "briefly summarise your key findings"

I'll need to fix up my intro a little in that case.

yearningforsimplicity

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Former ATARNotes HHD & Psych Lecturer & Author
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #972 on: October 20, 2012, 11:10:03 pm »
Oooh ICC people, help me out pleasee! :)

Do we HAVE to use APA style referencing for assignment 2? I used MLA for Assignment 1 and didn't get told off and I am soo used to mla now so I cbs learning a new style :-\

Also, a bit of a noob Q but we don't have to provide the whole interview (Q's with responses) in the appendix right? It's just the Interview Q's (without responses) + consent statement that we have to include there, I'm guessing?? Thanks in advance!!
2011: English | Methods | Psychology | Health & Human Development | Legal Studies | Texts & Traditions
2012: B.A. (Psychology) @ UniMelb
2015-16: Master of Teaching (Secondary: Psychology/Health) @ UniMelb
2017- Teaching Psych & HHD :D

Happy to help out with; Health & HD(48), Psych(48), Qs about UniMelb Psych or MTeach courses :D

*Doing Health & Human Development in 2021?* :D
yearningforsimplicity's HHD 3&4 EXAM REVISION PACKS :)

golden

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Sharpshot
« Reply #973 on: October 20, 2012, 11:29:07 pm »
+1
1. If you didn't get told off maybe they accept it, but if you have time I would honestly try to use APA.
2. No, technically you don't need to provide much at all. Just ensure you get the main parts in. If you wanted to you don't even have to elaborate on anything at all in the appendix (it's not marked). Only the questions have to be put there.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 11:30:57 pm by golden »

Starlight

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #974 on: October 21, 2012, 01:12:49 pm »
Oooh ICC people, help me out pleasee! :)

Do we HAVE to use APA style referencing for assignment 2? I used MLA for Assignment 1 and didn't get told off and I am soo used to mla now so I cbs learning a new style :-\

Also, a bit of a noob Q but we don't have to provide the whole interview (Q's with responses) in the appendix right? It's just the Interview Q's (without responses) + consent statement that we have to include there, I'm guessing?? Thanks in advance!!

* Up to you I guess but it's probably good to start writing with the apa style since that one is most commonly used for uni assignments
* Just the interview questions without responses, i might include my interview responses so that I can refer back to them if I need too