Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 05:52:18 am

Author Topic: University Reputation  (Read 860 times)  Share 

Kekemato_BAP

• Forum Regular
  • Keep calm and study more
  • Respect: 0
University Reputation
« on: September 03, 2017, 02:28:51 pm »
Hey guys

Unis sometimes have a strong faculty and a faculty that has poor reputation.
Are there any unis faculties out there that are well known to be avoided?

I've heard some friends say that Engineering at USyd should be avoided, but Business/Law is great there. And that UTS is good for creative tech faculties like Media, Art, and Engineering, etc.

Thoughts? I was thinking of having BSci USyd as a backup preference but not too keen about USyd since science is similar to engineering
Maybe I'm being too pedantic  :-\
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 02:30:36 pm by Kekemato_BAP »
Hello

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: University Reputation
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 03:28:21 pm »
+4
Hey guys

Unis sometimes have a strong faculty and a faculty that has poor reputation.
Are there any unis faculties out there that are well known to be avoided?

I've heard some friends say that Engineering at USyd should be avoided, but Business/Law is great there. And that UTS is good for creative tech faculties like Media, Art, and Engineering, etc.

Thoughts? I was thinking of having BSci USyd as a backup preference but not too keen about USyd since science is similar to engineering
Maybe I'm being too pedantic  :-\

I think the idea of 'bad reputation' is important because it represents things like teaching quality, facilities, industry relationships (etc) that really play a large role in the quality of the education you receive. That is, if USYD has a bad reputation for Engineering, that could mean its facilities are sub-par compared to others.

It is important to separate fact from fiction though. A lot of this reputation comes from people who've only attended their own university, and might amplify things they dislike. Or conversely, they might assume their institution is the best without actually giving any other institutions a chance in the first place. Really, the only reliable first hand opinion is of someone who has transferred from one institution to another and has a direct experience of the same degree from two places!

You should be a 'critical consumer' and try and understand 'why' the reputation is bad, before letting it influence your decision. Use ranking lists, subject reviews, and other tools to evaluate just where the 'reputation' (good or bad) is coming from. If in your opinion it is substantiated then absolutely it will play into your decision! :)

lorbubblegum25

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: University Reputation
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 04:08:24 pm »
BSc at UniSyd is a very valued degree.

I studied science at both Monash and UNSW@Canberra. I enjoyed my time at Monash a lot better but also I was at UNSW@Canberra, not UNSW@Sydney.

I would stick with what type of degree you are looking at and just go from there. With science, you wouldn't stray to far with any Go8 uni. I cannot speak for other ones.

Monash had an excellent teaching program for undergraduate physics. I studied physics, maths, atmospheric science and education at Monash.

Also think about the 'feel' of the uni as it can have a significant impact on how much you enjoy yourself and how well you do.

Some people like the more 'sandstone' unis like UniMelb or UniSyd. Both are great but for others a more informal, research intensive university like Monash or UNSW is more their style.
BSc (Physics, Mathematics/Statistics) @UNSW (began at Monash - 1/2 from each uni)