Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:25:49 pm

Author Topic: Are you pickin' up what i'm Putin down? - strawberries' university journey  (Read 18942 times)

strawberries

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +416
Re: Are you pickin' up what i'm Putin down? - strawberries' university journey
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2017, 09:28:59 pm »
+7
31/8
- so yesterday was my last day of classes cos of midterm break, I had 2 tutes followed by an exam for IPE
- my IPE exam went okay, it was an online open-book multiple choice, I did well but I'm sorta upset I didn't get 100% given the circumstances. oh well.
- also got my marks for my winter course. #bragging but pretty happy that I ended up with a HD in a 2nd-year unit which I had no idea what was going on...and it was my highest mark at uni so far :)
- since it was basically midterm break after I finished my exam, I pretty much went home and ate and chilled the rest of the day

1/9
- today...again another lazy morning...but by afternoon/evening I got going and I continued to research about my IR essay...I do have alot of resources so far (a lot of books + journals) but tbh idek if i'm researching too much?? haha :P
- also got my marks back for my political science paper :) literally thought I was going to fail so glad I didn't haha :P

by the end of this week I hope to finish my drafts for my IR and political science essays :)
(hopefully I won't procrastinate as bad as last midsem break! ::))
VCE '15
don't let dreams be dreams

Coffee

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +322
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2017, 09:38:18 pm »
+4
- also got my marks for my winter course. #bragging but pretty happy that I ended up with a HD in a 2nd-year unit which I had no idea what was going on...and it was my highest mark at uni so far :)
Yay, Strawberries <3

- today...again another lazy morning...but by afternoon/evening I got going and I continued to research about my IR essay...I do have alot of resources so far (a lot of books + journals) but tbh idek if i'm researching too much?? haha :P
Literally me, haha. I have so many notes that are just quotes that I might use. :P

strawberries

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2017, 05:36:23 pm »
+6
7/9

- so today, I went to uni and studied in the student space from 9-5, honestly...I felt like I didn't really procrastinate and spend a lot of time doing other stuff (minus food breaks)..but when I look at it, I didn't accomplish much today? time just felt like it went really fast :(
So what did I do today?
- I've written parts of my IR essay over the past few days. It's only like 2/3 done in terms of info, but I'm way over word limit, so I made a plan and I'm probs gonna cut down/learn to say things in fewer words
- I played around a lot with excel today for my political science assignment. excel and pivot tables are confusing
- I also read about 20/80 pages of my IR reading
VCE '15

strawberries

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2017, 09:22:27 pm »
+6
past few days

- pretty much been writing my essays, focusing on my IR one (cos it's due 2 days earlier) but I should probs focus more on PolSci cos it's worth more
- so I'm pretty much 'done' with my IR essay with a very bad draft (I got all my ideas), but now I'm trying to add in all my references + citations and omg...it is so confusing! (thank God footnotes reduce my word count by quite a bit though!)
- really worried about how I do on these essays :(
- midsem break is almost over!! nooo! :(
VCE '15

Coffee

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +322
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2017, 09:36:00 pm »
+5
Strawberries, I love reading your updates! <3

- so I'm pretty much 'done' with my IR essay with a very bad draft (I got all my ideas), but now I'm trying to add in all my references + citations and omg...it is so confusing! (thank God footnotes reduce my word count by quite a bit though!)
- really worried about how I do on these essays :(
This reminds me of my first semester. :P I didn't uncheck the 'Include footnotes in word count' on Word and I only remembered to do so two or three days before the due date, and I had to frantically come up with another 300 words. :P

But, Strawbs, you'll be fine, I'm sure you've smashed them! Also glad I'm not the only one dealing with writing two essays at the moment, it's crazy!

Any tips for Politics or IR? I'm thinking of picking up a unit in either one next semester! :)

strawberries

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2017, 09:48:46 pm »
+5
Strawberries, I love reading your updates! <3
This reminds me of my first semester. :P I didn't uncheck the 'Include footnotes in word count' on Word and I only remembered to do so two or three days before the due date, and I had to frantically come up with another 300 words. :P

But, Strawbs, you'll be fine, I'm sure you've smashed them! Also glad I'm not the only one dealing with writing two essays at the moment, it's crazy!

Any tips for Politics or IR? I'm thinking of picking up a unit in either one next semester! :)
Coffee! <3

hope your essays are going well! :D

tips for politics/IR, I actually don't have many tbh :P I found it fairly straightforward though (like in understanding content, writing good essays are hard though)
I don't think you have to be super into the news or anything, cos even rn we've mostly been studying theories rather than current events (but talked about historical events too...but I felt like you didn't need to be an expert cos it's self explanatory when you read texts/lectures...idk how the units are run at Monash so I'm not too sure)
also if you do politics though, be prepared for some maths/stats/graphs :P
good luck with you! :)

VCE '15

strawberries

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2017, 05:16:08 pm »
+8
17/9

so I finished writing my IR essay today! :)
I really need to see a learning advisor to check/read over my essay but we're only allowed to see them once every 14 days  :-\

in other words, next week is back to school! midsem went so quick! :(
VCE '15

strawberries

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2017, 10:59:33 pm »
+8
had a very busy day today, although a lot of it was spent not necessarily on schoolwork

- so I slept in today till like 9 because I was busy staying up finishing my essay
- I made 2 trips to the city because I forgot to buy some things the first time ::)
- I got my essay checked over with a learning advisor
- I did quite a bit of washing (#yaychores)
- I had a lecture today
- I read a few pages of my IPE textbook reading

gonna be a busy week(end)!
strawbs x
VCE '15

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2017, 11:11:56 pm »
+3
- so I slept in today till like 9 because I was busy staying up finishing my essay
wow that's an early morning for me  :-\

strawberries

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2017, 07:34:54 am »
+2
wow that's an early morning for me  :-\
really? what time do you usually start?
VCE '15

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2017, 09:17:28 am »
+3
Here to say I'm loving this journal title!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2017, 07:05:48 pm »
+2
really? what time do you usually start?
ranges anywhere between 8am to 2pm or whenever I wake up LOL
although I haven't been to an 8am since week 1-2.

strawberries

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2017, 10:47:48 pm »
+5
Here to say I'm loving this journal title!
haha thanks ;) love yours too :P

ranges anywhere between 8am to 2pm or whenever I wake up LOL
although I haven't been to an 8am since week 1-2.

yeah I mainly like to wake up early just so I can get some work done (but really I still wake up like 1-2 hrs later than I planned...:P)

21/9
- I had a PolSci tute - um...it was okay i guess? I overheard two of the people I was in a group discussion with talking about their marks for the last assignment and it was higher than me...so it makes me feel sorta bad?  :-\
- we had an IR tute but it was about how to write essays. I think the tutor hates me cos I asked so many stupid questions :P
- okay, so I was supposed to have an IPE lecture on FDI in the afternoon but I skipped it (:o) to go to work...I sorta feel bad about skipping though
- my feet were sore after standing up for over 6hrs in heels :)
- when I got home I rewatched the lecture I missed...I will probably never skip a lecture again shall I say :P
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 10:53:38 pm by strawberries »
VCE '15

strawberries

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2017, 11:17:19 pm »
+6
22/9

- finished TWO IR readings! yep, two! both took me forever to read and were like 40 pages but I got thru them :)
- also made some flashcards regarding some IR textbook definitions
- re-read my IR essay, it's not perfect but I really don't know how to fix it
- polsci essay: um it's getting close to due date but I felt like I haven't researched enough yet? so I did some more :P i'm still very confused and critical of my own work haha

EDIT: also started to write some applications
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 11:36:06 am by strawberries »
VCE '15

peterpiper

• Forum Obsessive
  • ppp
  • Respect: +257
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2017, 12:20:49 am »
+4
- re-read my IR essay, it's not perfect but I really don't know how to fix it

Seriously me all the time. Can only comment when I did lit haha so I can't comment specifically (soz). The best thing is to just mull over the ideas in different ways and talk yourself through it - could what you say be more sophisticated? Were there any words that seem out-of-place/not the best word for that sentence? Are there any other interesting angles which you could've gone through to present that point., etc. I have a habit of just writing how I would say things, and if you can write directly all your ideas in a draft, that's great! Most of your time will be spent editing and making the ideas sound fluent/cohesive. Personally, I'd print out a draft of my essay and start ripping out sexy sentences with a pen-on-paper, or when the inspiration strikes - create new avenues for other ideas and start creating a second draft, repeat ad infinitum.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 01:07:55 am by peterpiper »
2017: VCE COMPLETED