Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 09:03:40 pm

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1238821 times)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #4200 on: October 17, 2018, 07:50:30 pm »
+1
Hey guys when they say, Use ONE of the following statements as the central idea for a piece of imaginative
writing exploring the complex nature of discovery.

Do you have to write that statement in your creative or can you use as a platform for your ideas for creative.
Thank you.

Hey, horse9996!

You would use it as a platform for your ideas for the creative. Integrate elements of it throughout the creative and a marker should be able to identify what areas of discovery the original stimulus conveyed  ;D Good luck for your exam tomorrow  :)
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #4201 on: October 17, 2018, 08:37:59 pm »
hellooo

really important question

for tomorrows creative writing, my story was a parole hearing of a criminal that served 4 years In jail and its the day of his parole. he was in jail because he drunk beer and got a little tipsy and got in an accident and killed 2 people. is that fine? or should I avoid that story because it is about alcohol, jail, crime?

thank you

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #4202 on: October 17, 2018, 09:12:58 pm »
+1
hellooo

really important question

for tomorrows creative writing, my story was a parole hearing of a criminal that served 4 years In jail and its the day of his parole. he was in jail because he drunk beer and got a little tipsy and got in an accident and killed 2 people. is that fine? or should I avoid that story because it is about alcohol, jail, crime?

thank you
I think its fine. But thats because my story is similar. My character gets drunk and kills his own daughter in a drink driving incident and my story focuses on him remembering his actions in his jail cell. I can't see why or how they would deduct marks just because your story (and mine for that matter) deals with those elements.
Good luck for tommorrow!
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

hilaryl

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4203 on: October 17, 2018, 09:18:28 pm »
so i just got told if i've based my creative in asia it might have a chance of getting marked down due to the potential of having a marker that's racist???? can someone please weigh in their opinion n thoughts on this

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4204 on: October 17, 2018, 09:28:40 pm »
so i just got told if i've based my creative in asia it might have a chance of getting marked down due to the potential of having a marker that's racist???? can someone please weigh in their opinion n thoughts on this

I would like to know this as well as with my story I was told(by a friend) that the marker could have had a child die in drinking driving accident or is an alcoholic and that could affect my mark. and I'm really confused

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #4205 on: October 17, 2018, 09:47:24 pm »
+2
Controversial stories are fine when handled well. I think it is really easy to tell when a story is just being offensive for the sake of it! The key is subtlety - A child dying in an accident is okay provided you don't describe the injuries in graphic detail, for example!

Ellielh

• Trailblazer
  • i always have too many tabs open
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #4206 on: October 17, 2018, 09:54:16 pm »
One of my teachers told me that if it's a touchy subject with the marker, they will hand it off to someone else. Even if they don't, you paper will get marked twice by two different markers. If there is a major mark difference, it will be marked a third time. So I think writing it in Asia is fine - it will be highly unlikely to get two/three racist markers.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
HSC 2018: Chemistry | English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | SOR2

UNI 2019: Bachelor of Science @ ANU

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4207 on: October 17, 2018, 09:56:36 pm »
One of my teachers told me that if it's a touchy subject with the marker, they will hand it off to someone else. Even if they don't, you paper will get marked twice by two different markers. If there is a major mark difference, it will be marked a third time. So I think writing it in Asia is fine - it will be highly unlikely to get two/three racist markers.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

how about with my story?

Ellielh

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4208 on: October 17, 2018, 10:03:07 pm »
+1
how about with my story?

Like Jamon said, if it's not overly graphic it is fine. I'd think most creatives have some type of death in them so the markers would be prepared for that. Again, there will be at least two people marking your response. So don't stress it's all good!!!

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4209 on: October 17, 2018, 10:07:57 pm »
Like Jamon said, if it's not overly graphic it is fine. I'd think most creatives have some type of death in them so the markers would be prepared for that. Again, there will be at least two people marking your response. So don't stress it's all good!!!

THANK YOUUUUU

Ellielh

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4210 on: October 17, 2018, 10:12:18 pm »
+2
THANK YOUUUUU

Like death isn't going to be a surprising or unexpected theme for our markers to discover so it shouldn't be too provocative or confronting for them

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4211 on: October 17, 2018, 10:26:04 pm »
SORRY ONE MORE QUESTION

SAY THE STIMULS IS A QUOTE LIKE SO:

"As she looked deep down into the unlit corridors she saw nothing but a reflection of who she once was"

Use this as the opening to your creative story, make direct links to the concept of discovery.

AM I ALLOWED TO CHANGE IT TO "HE" INSTEAD OF "SHE"?

Ellielh

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4212 on: October 17, 2018, 10:30:02 pm »
+1
SORRY ONE MORE QUESTION

SAY THE STIMULS IS A QUOTE LIKE SO:

"As she looked deep down into the unlit corridors she saw nothing but a reflection of who she once was"

Use this as the opening to your creative story, make direct links to the concept of discovery.

AM I ALLOWED TO CHANGE IT TO "HE" INSTEAD OF "SHE"?

YES I LOOKED THIS UP EARLIER THIS AFTERNOON.
People said they don't mind if you change the genders or tense so long as it does not change the meaning of the quote

zanibalh

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4213 on: October 17, 2018, 10:34:54 pm »
hey guys,

any tips for trying to make your essay adapt to the question.
I struggle alot with this.

thanks so much!!

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4214 on: October 17, 2018, 10:38:40 pm »
YES I LOOKED THIS UP EARLIER THIS AFTERNOON.
People said they don't mind if you change the genders or tense so long as it does not change the meaning of the quote

THANK GODDD
WHAT ABOUT IF THE QUESTION DOES NOT SAY TO USE THE STIMULUS. LIKE IT SAYS USE ONE OF THE STIMULUS AS YOUR MAIN IDEA BLAH BLAH CAN I STILL PUT THE QUOTE IN THE STORY?