Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:14:52 pm

Author Topic: BIO 3/4 - IS THERE STILL HOPE FOR ME??  (Read 3603 times)  Share 

hearteyes4u

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
BIO 3/4 - IS THERE STILL HOPE FOR ME??
« on: August 24, 2019, 11:28:31 pm »
hey guys! :) so i’m currently doing atrociously in bio (like i’m not even exaggerating) and we only have one more sac then it’s exam time so yikes. anyways lemme cut to the chase, basically my sac average atm is only 57% (i told u i wasn’t exaggerating) and i was wondering if it was possible for me to still score a 40+ somehow.

for my first sac i only got 43% which really demotivated me but i did hear that many ppl in the cohort didn’t go well on this sac either but i’m still like 100% sure i scored the lowest in my whole cohort. then in my next sac i only got 55% and then in my last sac i got 73%.

anyways ive heard many ppl say that our schools bio sacs are much harder compared to other schools so they would get scaled.

but do u guys think there is still hope for me scoring a 40+ despite my horrible sac scores? if i ace the final exam will that save my study score? will my low sac scores pull my study score down? pls help  :'( :'( any answers would be extremely appreciated !!

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ♡ 2 Timothy 1:7 ♡
  • Respect: +512
Re: BIO 3/4 - IS THERE STILL HOPE FOR ME??
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 12:04:17 am »
Hi OP, I completely feel you! At the start of the year I was aiming for a 40 raw in biology but now I think even 30 sounds out of reach for me lmaooo.

I don’t fully understand the procedures behind study score calculations but from what I know, if you absolutely smash it out on the exam, and if your cohort also do well, then your SAC scores get pulled up as well. However this is not always the case. I know a friend last year who had a 70-something average in bio SACs, got an A+ on the exam, but their GAs were B+/B+/A+.

From the trend of your scores it seems that even though you didn’t start of ideal you’re improving drastically with each SAC which is definitely a good thing! IMO 40+ will definitely be hard (regardless of your SAC average, tbh), but if you can continue this upward trend I think you definitely have a good chance. Don’t give up!!

VCE: Literature [50] Methods [50] Further [48] Chemistry [40] Biology [33]
2022: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Economics) @ ANU

kimokeeffe

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 05:57:53 pm »
completely agree; as long as you can keep up the good work and do really well on the exam, you can still get a very good study score.

hearteyes4u

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 09:05:47 pm »
Hi OP, I completely feel you! At the start of the year I was aiming for a 40 raw in biology but now I think even 30 sounds out of reach for me lmaooo.

I don’t fully understand the procedures behind study score calculations but from what I know, if you absolutely smash it out on the exam, and if your cohort also do well, then your SAC scores get pulled up as well. However this is not always the case. I know a friend last year who had a 70-something average in bio SACs, got an A+ on the exam, but their GAs were B+/B+/A+.

From the trend of your scores it seems that even though you didn’t start of ideal you’re improving drastically with each SAC which is definitely a good thing! IMO 40+ will definitely be hard (regardless of your SAC average, tbh), but if you can continue this upward trend I think you definitely have a good chance. Don’t give up!!
agreed ,, like u gotta be crazy smart to get 40+. but thanks for the advice i really appreciate it !! hopefully i don’t mess up the exam tho cuz i don’t have good sac scores to back me up so i’m basically done for if i flunk the exam y i k e s

completely agree; as long as you can keep up the good work and do really well on the exam, you can still get a very good study score.
thanks for the reply !! but yea many ppl have told me as long as u do well in the exam then u can still get in the 40’s for ur study score even if ur sac scores aren’t the best so i’ll defs try to up my game and do bomb on the exam HAHA

Mod edit (PF): Merged posts. Please don't post twice in a row, you can insert more than 1 quote into the same message if you want to reply to multiple people :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 09:21:15 pm by PhoenixxFire »

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 10:06:00 pm »
+3
hey guys! :) so i’m currently doing atrociously in bio (like i’m not even exaggerating) and we only have one more sac then it’s exam time so yikes. anyways lemme cut to the chase, basically my sac average atm is only 57% (i told u i wasn’t exaggerating) and i was wondering if it was possible for me to still score a 40+ somehow.

for my first sac i only got 43% which really demotivated me but i did hear that many ppl in the cohort didn’t go well on this sac either but i’m still like 100% sure i scored the lowest in my whole cohort. then in my next sac i only got 55% and then in my last sac i got 73%.

anyways ive heard many ppl say that our schools bio sacs are much harder compared to other schools so they would get scaled.

but do u guys think there is still hope for me scoring a 40+ despite my horrible sac scores? if i ace the final exam will that save my study score? will my low sac scores pull my study score down? pls help  :'( :'( any answers would be extremely appreciated !!
Alrighty, it is probably possible to get a 40+ score but something like this won't magically occur. It is extremely unlikely for someone goes from lower in the cohort to the top of the state unless they make some dramatic changes in the meantime. With low sac scores, you would need an exam score equivalent to high 40's/50 to get a 40+ score. However, I necessarily don't know your sac situation as your sac rank is more important than your sac scores and low ranks won't get scaled dramatically to an A+ unless basically everyone in the cohort gets an A+ on the exam. So ultimately if you want to go for a 40+ score you need to make sure you do well in all your remaining sacs and the exam - this means you need to change what you have been doing previously - e.g. putting more time into the subject, practice questions, getting help from teachers/others.

Hope this helps, sorry if I sound harsh :)

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 11:35:11 am »
But hypotheticallly if youre averaging like 50 - 60% in your sacs but get 100% on the exam could you possibly get a 40+?
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

hearteyes4u

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 11:06:06 pm »
Alrighty, it is probably possible to get a 40+ score but something like this won't magically occur. It is extremely unlikely for someone goes from lower in the cohort to the top of the state unless they make some dramatic changes in the meantime. With low sac scores, you would need an exam score equivalent to high 40's/50 to get a 40+ score. However, I necessarily don't know your sac situation as your sac rank is more important than your sac scores and low ranks won't get scaled dramatically to an A+ unless basically everyone in the cohort gets an A+ on the exam. So ultimately if you want to go for a 40+ score you need to make sure you do well in all your remaining sacs and the exam - this means you need to change what you have been doing previously - e.g. putting more time into the subject, practice questions, getting help from teachers/others.

Hope this helps, sorry if I sound harsh :)
thanks for the advice !! i actually have a sac next week thats on human evolution, allele frequencies, fossils and all that and i was wondering if u had any tips?? thanks again  :) :)

But hypotheticallly if youre averaging like 50 - 60% in your sacs but get 100% on the exam could you possibly get a 40+?
yea i hope thats the case, tbh what im most scared abt is failing the exam. cus if i fail the exam i dont have god sac scores to back me up so im bascially screwed welp >30 study score here i come

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 11:08:41 pm »
+1
Obviously depending on rankings (50-60% could be rank 1) however I will assume you mean very low ranking as well. In that case, very low 40s but could be something like high 30s.

For biology, I would tend to think you would get a 40 because basically no one full marks the biology exam and that would give you such a good standerdised score. Keep in mind low 90% in some years is a 50.

hearteyes4u

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 04:09:53 pm »
Obviously depending on rankings (50-60% could be rank 1) however I will assume you mean very low ranking as well. In that case, very low 40s but could be something like high 30s.

For biology, I would tend to think you would get a 40 because basically no one full marks the biology exam and that would give you such a good standerdised score. Keep in mind low 90% in some years is a 50.
oof im kinda lost ,,, so even if i get 100% on the exams i still cant be guaranteed a 40+ study score bc of my sac scores??

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 04:42:46 pm »
oof im kinda lost ,,, so even if i get 100% on the exams i still cant be guaranteed a 40+ study score bc of my sac scores??
Yeah it is possible to score below 40(and obviously above 40) but all of that will depend on your sac rank and how it gets moderated by VCAA

hearteyes4u

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2019, 05:23:30 pm »
Yeah it is possible to score below 40(and obviously above 40) but all of that will depend on your sac rank and how it gets moderated by VCAA
ohh i see so say i was the lowest rank in my cohourt and i scored 100% on the exam my study score would get pulled down bc of my low ranking right?