Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:37:12 am

Author Topic: VCE Chemistry Question Thread  (Read 2313332 times)  Share 

uwuuu

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Chemistry Question Thread
« Reply #8640 on: July 01, 2020, 08:50:37 am »
+1
Yes, the possible errors because I'm doing a practical investigation on the effect of changing surface area on mass of metal deposited on cathode. I was am unsure how to explain in detail in linking electrolysis and rate of reaction with surface area

• MOTM: July 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +158
« Reply #8641 on: July 01, 2020, 11:13:34 am »
+5
Yes, the possible errors because I'm doing a practical investigation on the effect of changing surface area on mass of metal deposited on cathode. I was am unsure how to explain in detail in linking electrolysis and rate of reaction with surface area
Oh well, lots of reactions in chemistry, particularly aqueous ones, are diffusion controlled - that is, it takes time for the proper species to be in just the right place and just the right time to react just the right way. By increasing surface area, you are increasing the likelihood that this event will occur. More spots for the reaction to happen, essentially. Things that promote redox reactions are increasing surface area, increasing electric current, increasing diffusion of products, increasing concentration of reactants, amongst other things.
I also point to you, you should be familar with the cottrell equation to have a deeper understanding (:

uwuuu

• Adventurer
« Reply #8642 on: July 01, 2020, 07:26:51 pm »
+2
I see thank you and could you please explain how i could relate the cottrell equation to increasing surface area of electrodes?

• Trendsetter
« Reply #8643 on: July 02, 2020, 10:32:30 am »
+5
I see thank you and could you please explain how i could relate the cottrell equation to increasing surface area of electrodes?
If you look at the variables regarding the cottrell equation, it says that the current is proportional to a whole bunch of different factors, if you multiply both sides by time, it instead becomes about charge the more charge you have the more electrons you have available and the things that determine how many electrons you have available are the variables involved in the cottrell equation
area, the diffusion constant (dependent on the thing that's dissolving), and the initial concentration of reducible species
as well as the actual number of electrons involved in the redox.

jammol7

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #8644 on: July 02, 2020, 11:50:44 am »
+4
Just wanted to clarify, the cottrel equation isn't on the sd right?
VCE 2019-21
Lit 38 | Methods 47 | Bio 49 | Chem 50 |  PE 43 | Drama 38 | Sport & Rec 36

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #8645 on: July 02, 2020, 12:15:15 pm »
+5
Yes, it's not on the SD

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #8646 on: July 02, 2020, 12:22:34 pm »
+11
I want to make this completely clear:

After doing VCE chemistry, I entered into a science degree where I got a double major in Chemistry. All you need to understand, is that means I did a lot of chemistry. This included second year and third year electrochemistry. I then went on to do honours in physical and synthetic chemistry. I am now doing a PhD in physical chemistry, in which I look at equations all the time. Not just simple equations, either - I constantly use maths involving integrals, differentials, exponents, logarithms, etc., and have even had to learn how to code and use maths to explain my chemistry.

Not only have I never heard of the Cottrel equation, but looking at it made my head hurt. You definitely don't need to know it for VCE.

jammol7

• Trailblazer
« Reply #8647 on: July 02, 2020, 12:41:50 pm »
+4
thank goodness. I felt like I was having a brain aneurysm when searching it up.
VCE 2019-21

• Trendsetter
« Reply #8648 on: July 02, 2020, 01:12:50 pm »
+4
Apologies everybody! I am pretty unfamiliar with the VCE content. I really only just started on the fourm in hopes to help people academically. And my favourite thing about myself is my spontaneity and ability to lighten up a conversation/help people cheer up or open up when in group situations, and I feel so proud of myself when I help people academically. I just wanted to let you all know wasn't my intentions to dishearten or frighten anybody with the concepts I present in my help. Does anybody have any documents regarding to the content they present in VCE level? This just helps my ability to help people on the fourm, so I am aware as to how far people are in the curriculum and thus what I can expect people to know!!

Again, apolgize for any fear or unfamiliarity I caused!  :)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 01:17:22 pm by 1729 »

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #8649 on: July 02, 2020, 01:21:25 pm »
+6
Does anybody have any documents regarding to the content they present in VCE level?
You can find the 2020 VCAA Study Design and other relevant information here :)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 01:23:01 pm by insanipi »
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
« Reply #8650 on: July 02, 2020, 04:14:32 pm »
+2
Hi guys! I’m a year 12 revising U3 Chem and was wondering to what extent should we know about energy conversions? I came across a checkpoints question which was asking which is the most efficient. Does anyone know the pathway?

I.e thermal——> mechanical ——-> electrical?

Or is this more for the galvanic cells topic? (I’m going over fuels atm)

Bump

mod edit: removed double post also saying "Bump"
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 07:08:38 pm by Bri MT »
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #8651 on: July 02, 2020, 04:43:36 pm »
+6
Hello!
It would be good if you know the general energy conversions since it specifically states how you need to know energy transformations and the efficiencies of the different fossil fuels in the study design.
I assume you're talking about the energy conversions in relation to coal?
If so, yes you are correct.
Here is the conversions in more detail:
Coal is combusted and heat is released: Chemical energy >>> Thermal energy
Heat released is used to boil water, producing steam: Thermal energy
The steam rises and moves the turbine and it spins: Thermal energy>>> Mechanical energy
The turbine drives the generator, producing electrical energy (electricity): Mechanical energy>>> Electrical energy
At each conversion, energy is lost as heat

« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 04:59:12 pm by Evolio »

jammol7

• Trailblazer
« Reply #8652 on: July 02, 2020, 09:27:41 pm »
+3
Apologies everybody! I am pretty unfamiliar with the VCE content. I really only just started on the fourm in hopes to help people academically. And my favourite thing about myself is my spontaneity and ability to lighten up a conversation/help people cheer up or open up when in group situations, and I feel so proud of myself when I help people academically. I just wanted to let you all know wasn't my intentions to dishearten or frighten anybody with the concepts I present in my help. Does anybody have any documents regarding to the content they present in VCE level? This just helps my ability to help people on the fourm, so I am aware as to how far people are in the curriculum and thus what I can expect people to know!!

Again, apolgize for any fear or unfamiliarity I caused!  :)
No worries mate. I probably should've checked the study design myself before asking. Good on you for getting so far ahead on the content.
VCE 2019-21

yumapple

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #8653 on: July 15, 2020, 06:42:22 pm »
Hi newcomer here,
I'm having trouble about what types of experiments I should do for Unit 2 Chem. Does anyone have any past experiments relating to water?

Thanks!
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ ✧゚・: *ヽ(◕ヮ◕ヽ)

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #8654 on: July 15, 2020, 09:19:04 pm »
+6
Hi newcomer here,
I'm having trouble about what types of experiments I should do for Unit 2 Chem. Does anyone have any past experiments relating to water?

Thanks!

For mine I tested the water pH and water hardness from different places (I did suburbs because people in the class collected water from their taps at home), but if that's not a possibility, maybe compare water from rain/bottled/tap/distilled. I can't remember what other people did, but pH and water hardness are easy because of the test strips or the electronic pH device.
(I remember I wanted to test the pH of different fruit juices but I didn't end up doing it).
Hope that helps :)
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)