Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:56:13 am

Author Topic: English Advanced Unseen Texts and Human Experiences tips and tricks  (Read 3027 times)

oppasama

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
I find this part to be the most difficult about English. Please help me out!!!! Thxxx

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: English Advanced Unseen Texts and Human Experiences tips and tricks
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 12:31:02 am »
+3
I find this part to be the most difficult about English. Please help me out!!!! Thxxx

Hey, oppasama!

Welcome to the forums  ;D I also found unseen texts my least confident area in English when I was in high school so you're not alone! One thing I would highly recommend is exposing yourself to different text types and writing your own practice questions.

How you can do this is finding a text (short story, poem, photography, cartoon, feature article etc.) and using the Texts and Human Experiences rubric to generate a question. For example, if I were to use the image  below, I might have a question along the lines of "How have collective human experiences been visually represented in Text 1?"

Sample Unseen Text- Image

You may also challenge yourself with a specific theme or technique in the question such as "How has Text 1 represented the idea of hardship as a collective human experience?" or "How have collective human experiences been represented through the use of repetition in Text 1?"

Whenever I wrote my own questions, I tended to find studying for unseen texts more fun because it allowed me to not only analyse texts with the module in mind, but also be motivated to actually attempt them and submit my responses to my teacher for feedback. Some great places to look for texts to analyse that I would recommend are Honi Soit (USYD's student newspaper), Poetry Foundation, Literary Hub, Catapult and Electric Literature. Hope this helps and keen to see what others might suggest!

Angelina  ;D 
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music