Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:21:09 pm

Author Topic: Class of 2023!  (Read 25618 times)

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
Re: Class of 2023!
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2020, 07:55:18 am »
+1
I'll get a grand total of three when year 10 rolls around :P Looking forward to both my electives equally as they're pretty similar. Kind of trying to bait my school into letting me do Digital Solutions 1/2 in year 10 by going well in these two. I'm pretty confident in them and they're really fun so let's hope it pays off 8)
What interests you about accelerating Digital Solutions? ;D

Well three's not too bad then (i guess)  and I'm sure your school will let you do DS, you sound really talented in that area ahaha, and your electives sound super interesting! Hopefully it all works out :)
Have you been thinking about if you want to accelerate a subject arshia01?

SlowandSteady

• MOTM: JULY 2019
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +151
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2020, 09:16:20 am »
+1
What interests you about accelerating Digital Solutions? ;D
Well, I think accelerating a subject in general sounds like a good way to get used to the pressure/responsibility of senior schooling. It'll also allow me to focus more on my other subjects in Year 12, which seems pretty helpful. I'm interested in Digital Solutions because:

1. All my Digital subjects have been my favourite throughout high school. It's super fun.
2. I'm not bad at it and I can't think of another subject that I could possibly do well in at that level :P
3. It relates to what I want to do when I'm older.

Why did you end up accelerating Bio? Did you find jump in difficulty from Year 9 to a VCE subject manageable?
QCE Class of 2023 :D

for_icarus

• Forum Regular
  • stay with me... 真夜中のドアをたたき :)
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2020, 12:11:15 pm »
+1
Have you been thinking about if you want to accelerate a subject arshia01?
Well, this year I'm doing accel maths, so yr10 I'm doing methods 1/2 and hopefully, I can get the school to let me do chem/bio or physics 1/2. I've kind of always liked the idea of accelerating a subject, I just really like learning things and doing more of subjects I enjoy earlier. The thing is, I might to IB instead of VCE so at this point I'm trying to accel my science and maths so IB won't be too hard  :D
Did you accel any of those subjects? And what do you think the benefits were?
my goals
⎡Y10⎦ ✧  Methods 1/2 ⚬ Physics U2 
⎡Y11⎦ ✧ MM 3/4 ⚬ Phys 3/4 ⚬ Chem 1/2 ⚬ SM 1/2 ⚬ Eco 1/2 ⚬ Lit 1/2
⎡Y12⎦ ✧  Goal {98.00-99.95}
⎡UNI⎦ ✧  Ivy League

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2020, 02:07:10 pm »
+2
Why did you end up accelerating Bio? Did you find jump in difficulty from Year 9 to a VCE subject manageable?
I chose to accelerate bio because I definitely wanted to finish a subject early and biology was definitely my favourite part of science in year 10. Biology is quite different in Year 10 and 11, so I found a lot of new things I liked this year as well. I LOVE genetics; so I'm definitely sad that 3/4 doesn't have any at all.
I hope that you really enjoy your electives!

I found the jump very manageable. The biggest jump for me seemed to be from Year 9 advanced maths to Year 10 advanced maths. But luckily for me, biology started off VERY slowly. I guess it depends on the teacher or the subject but biology didn't feel like any more work than any of my other subjects. That may just be a reflection of the amount of work our school heaps on Year 10's though...

Well, this year I'm doing accel maths, so yr10 I'm doing methods 1/2 and hopefully, I can get the school to let me do chem/bio or physics 1/2. I've kind of always liked the idea of accelerating a subject, I just really like learning things and doing more of subjects I enjoy earlier. The thing is, I might to IB instead of VCE so at this point I'm trying to accel my science and maths so IB won't be too hard  :D
As SlowandSteady said, I did 1/2 biology in Year 10 and I'm doing 3/4 this year. I found it beneficial (accelerating in general) as it gave me an idea of what to expect. Friends who have accelerated methods found it very helpful when they went to do spesh the following year, so that may be a good option for you.

Ofc, if you choose to do IB that changes things a bit. I've heard IB is intense but I don't know much about it. Is it something your current school offers? 

^^^111^^^

• MOTM: JULY 2019
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2020, 02:15:05 pm »
Ofc, if you choose to do IB that changes things a bit. I've heard IB is intense but I don't know much about it. Is it something your current school offers? 
Sorry, but what exactly is IB?

for_icarus

• Forum Regular
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2020, 02:19:05 pm »
+2
I chose to accelerate bio because I definitely wanted to finish a subject early and biology was definitely my favourite part of science in year 10. Biology is quite different in Year 10 and 11, so I found a lot of new things I liked this year as well. I LOVE genetics; so I'm definitely sad that 3/4 doesn't have any at all.
I hope that you really enjoy your electives!

I found the jump very manageable. The biggest jump for me seemed to be from Year 9 advanced maths to Year 10 advanced maths. But luckily for me, biology started off VERY slowly. I guess it depends on the teacher or the subject but biology didn't feel like any more work than any of my other subjects. That may just be a reflection of the amount of work our school heaps on Year 10's though...
As SlowandSteady said, I did 1/2 biology in Year 10 and I'm doing 3/4 this year. I found it beneficial (accelerating in general) as it gave me an idea of what to expect. Friends who have accelerated methods found it very helpful when they went to do spesh the following year, so that may be a good option for you.

Oh nice, I guess I’m looking forward to doing bio now — sounds very interesting! Thanks for the insight as well.  My school will be doing IB, doesn’t currently offer it (macrob btw) and my “class” will be the first ones to be given the option to choose between vce and ib, so yeah...I’m not expecting anything yet but it will be a challenge.
So IB is international baccalaureate and it’s an international education thing, which can help students apply to overseas education and etc, sorry I’m not an expert on it :)
my goals
⎡UNI⎦ ✧  Ivy League

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2020, 02:19:49 pm »
+2
IB stands for International Baccalaureate and is similar (but very different) to VCE. It is internationally recognised. I'm not really sure how it is structured and the ins and outs of it.

Some of the private and selective schools in Australia offer it.

Edit: Beat me to it arshia01

Oh nice, I guess I’m looking forward to doing bio now — sounds very interesting! Thanks for the insight as well.  My school will be doing IB, doesn’t currently offer it (macrob btw) and my “class” will be the first ones to be given the option to choose between vce and ib, so yeah...I’m not expecting anything yet but it will be a challenge.
It's cool to have the option. Especially if you want to study overseas when you're older! Had no idea Macrob was introducing it; very cool!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 02:21:23 pm by laura_ »

for_icarus

• Forum Regular
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2020, 02:29:21 pm »
+2
IB stands for International Baccalaureate and is similar (but very different) to VCE. It is internationally recognised. I'm not really sure how it is structured and the ins and outs of it.

Some of the private and selective schools in Australia offer it.

Edit: Beat me to it arshia01
It's cool to have the option. Especially if you want to study overseas when you're older! Had no idea Macrob was introducing it; very cool!
haha yes, just a quick explanation, it's really not the best one though. Macrob only just announced the addition of IB a few months ago and yeah, I'd really like to study overseas too i'm a sucker for the ivy leagues
my goals
⎡UNI⎦ ✧  Ivy League

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2020, 06:01:10 pm »
+3
Hey! Sorry I only got back on my laptop Monday evening after being away since last Wednesday and just saw this post. Studying overseas would be very cool! America? I don't think I could go to the US, but I'd be interested in doing short term placement or a semester abroad somewhere. Do Ivy League colleges really appeal to you? Why? ;D

for_icarus

• Forum Regular
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2020, 08:55:39 pm »
+3
Hey! Sorry I only got back on my laptop Monday evening after being away since last Wednesday and just saw this post. Studying overseas would be very cool! America? I don't think I could go to the US, but I'd be interested in doing short term placement or a semester abroad somewhere. Do Ivy League colleges really appeal to you? Why? ;D

No worries! Hope you’re doing well (and your laptop). Yeah, Ivy Leagues really appeal to me because of the courses I guess, and that they are really good unis. As you know, they have some of the coolest science courses too — so it’s my dream school. Where are you interested in doing a semester? Any specific uni or country?
my goals
⎡UNI⎦ ✧  Ivy League

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2020, 09:09:12 pm »
+2
No worries! Hope you’re doing well (and your laptop). Yeah, Ivy Leagues really appeal to me because of the courses I guess, and that they are really good unis. As you know, they have some of the coolest science courses too — so it’s my dream school. Where are you interested in doing a semester? Any specific uni or country?
Not really! I just like the idea of experiencing another place and seeing the way that life and study is different there. I know that the course I am thinking of doing offers opportunities like that for placement in Canada. I'd also love to do a mission trip to India!

Ronny_16

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2020, 05:14:44 pm »
have you lads got any holiday homework?

Ronny_16

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2020, 05:22:24 pm »
Luckily not! But I’ve been self studying, it’s pretty good though. Wbu?

I don't have actual school till term 2 because my school has this program called retreat were u basically do nothing and physical activity for a whole term🔫

academiicc

• Trailblazer
  • @notamiratho
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2020, 06:35:09 pm »
+1
hello ,,   :)

i haven't logged on here for so long actually! i used to be on atarnotes everyday last year during the pre-selective exam craze.

yr10:
yr11:
yr12:

ATAR goal: 95

ConFinCMC

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2021, 07:17:58 pm »
+2
Hey everyone, I know this sounds like a bit of a plugin to the forum chat, but I just wanted to open up my message box for anyone who has questions about next year.

A lot of Year 11s usually overlook this, but this is a very very important year to look into getting good study habits, and learn how SACs, exams and the ATAR works. And who better to give advice than some loser who scored in the Bottom 2% for two subjects?

I might not be able to tell you how to get a 50 in chem or spec, but I can tell you how to avoid getting scores like I did (see below).
Study tips, ways to improve on SACs and even advice on some subjects as well. Of course, you might need a tutor for getting a super duper amazing, earth-shattering ATAR, but if you want to keep from falling behind and have your doubts about this year: I am more than happy to answer any questions, and give advice.
2020- 53.35

English Lang. <20
History: Revolutions. <20
French: 27
Biology: 28
Drama: 24

"Well, it doesn't define who I am, but it does a bloody good job at crushing my spirit and self-esteem"

2021- Gap Year, working in Bright at the snowfields (guys, this is so much fun)

2022- Fed University, Fast Access Program Diploma

If anyone wants advice on what NOT to do, feel free to send me a message.