Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:21:06 am

Author Topic: VCE General & Further Maths Question Thread!  (Read 750316 times)  Share 

pugs

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +27
Re: VCE Further Maths Question Thread!
« Reply #2475 on: August 30, 2019, 09:03:31 pm »
hey! i'm not entirely sure if these questions are in the further maths course – i've checked the study design but it's a bit vague on latitudes/longitudes so i was wondering if someone would be able to help me double check  :D

if they are, would someone be able to help me out please as i'm not sure on how to do them :L (the fact that both the latitudes and longitudes are different is messing with my head :()

thanks very much!

Find the distance around the parallel of latitude for the following locations:
a) X: latitude: 32ºS, longitude 50ºE ; Y: latitude 32ºN, longitude 80ºE
b) X: latitude: 12ºS, longitude 30ºE ; Y: latitude 12ºN, longitude 80ºE

note* my textbook is possibly the one with many typos because i've found some errors previously, so if someone has an updated textbook and would be able to check (19B q19b and c), that'd be awesome! tysmm

2019 vce journal here

plato

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #2476 on: September 16, 2019, 11:17:49 pm »
+1
You cannot find the distance around the “parallel of latitude” between any two points that are not on the same parallel of latitude.
These two questions are beyond the scope of this course which covers only distances along a parallel (ie between two locations with the same latitude) or along a meridian (ie between two locations with the same longitude).

blyatman

• Trailblazer
  • Blyat
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #2477 on: September 17, 2019, 10:17:30 am »
hey! i'm not entirely sure if these questions are in the further maths course – i've checked the study design but it's a bit vague on latitudes/longitudes so i was wondering if someone would be able to help me double check  :D

if they are, would someone be able to help me out please as i'm not sure on how to do them :L (the fact that both the latitudes and longitudes are different is messing with my head :()

thanks very much!

Find the distance around the parallel of latitude for the following locations:
a) X: latitude: 32ºS, longitude 50ºE ; Y: latitude 32ºN, longitude 80ºE
b) X: latitude: 12ºS, longitude 30ºE ; Y: latitude 12ºN, longitude 80ºE

note* my textbook is possibly the one with many typos because i've found some errors previously, so if someone has an updated textbook and would be able to check (19B q19b and c), that'd be awesome! tysmm
If you're interested, the distance between any 2 lat,long locations is given by the Haversine formula: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haversine_formula

I've used this quite a bit at work.
Computational Fluid Dynamics Engineer
Research background: General Relativity (Gravitational Astrophysics Research Group, Sydney Institute for Astronomy, USYD)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
M.S. (Aeronautics and Astronautics, Purdue University) (Major: Aerodynamics. Minor: Propulsion)
M.Phil. (Aerospace Engineering)
B.Eng. (Aerospace Engineering, Honours Class I)
B.Sc. (Adv. Mathematics, Adv. Physics)

YussifK

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2478 on: September 19, 2019, 06:47:38 pm »
hello, beautiful people, I hope everything is going as planned.. im in year 10 stressing about VCE, many people do great and many do not as great. which scares the crap out of me. so I have a question which has not been answered.

1. what marks and ranking do i need to get a study score of 30 in english.(ive been averaging 60's and i get 5/6/7/8 ranking in my class which has approx of 20 students )

2. How can i ace sacs, have any useful tips

3. is a 60-70 atar hard to achieve with C B's and A (with a average ranking)

4. Laslty, how to score 30+ study scores (average ranking

here are my year 11 and 12 subjects

year 11: Lab skills       year 12 (any tips to ace these subjects in terms of SACS and EXAMS) and is it hard to achieve a 60-70 atar with these subjects>    Thank you in Advance

HHd                           HHD

Pe                              Pe

Methods                    further maths

English                      English

Biology                      biology
English:( )
Methods( )
Biology ( )
P.E ( )
Lab skills( )

rani_b

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +67
« Reply #2479 on: September 22, 2019, 07:40:10 pm »

Hey guys!

So this is the answer to a question from an Insight exam from Matrices:

23% of members choosing C will change to W = 0.23 * 51=11.73 =12 people
9% of members choosing A will change to W = 0.09 *73 =6.57 = 7 people
65% of members choosing W will continue with W = 0.65 *101 = 65.65 =66 people
66+7+12 = 85
In total, 85 members will choose the weights class in the second week.

So I did this all in one step rather than than rounding after every step (basically 0.23 * 51 + 0.09 *73 +0.65 *101) and got 83.95, which i rounded to 84.

My question is, is this wrong? Has anyone seen this type of question on a VCAA exam and seen which method to use? 
2019 ATAR: 99.85

Selling: English [50] & Lit [48] essays! PM for details.

NomotivationF

• Forum Obsessive
  • Serial procrastinator
  • Respect: +93
« Reply #2480 on: September 23, 2019, 03:43:49 pm »
+2
Hey guys!

So this is the answer to a question from an Insight exam from Matrices:

23% of members choosing C will change to W = 0.23 * 51=11.73 =12 people
9% of members choosing A will change to W = 0.09 *73 =6.57 = 7 people
65% of members choosing W will continue with W = 0.65 *101 = 65.65 =66 people
66+7+12 = 85
In total, 85 members will choose the weights class in the second week.

So I did this all in one step rather than than rounding after every step (basically 0.23 * 51 + 0.09 *73 +0.65 *101) and got 83.95, which i rounded to 84.

My question is, is this wrong? Has anyone seen this type of question on a VCAA exam and seen which method to use?

Hey Rani, when I was studying further** last year the general consensus was to use unrounded answers for all your working out and then round at the end. With most vcaa questions, the final rounded answer will be the same regardless whether you rounded while working or not. However, if you need to round an answer in a previous question and use the same value for a new one, use the rounded value. Basically, use unrounded unless it says so.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 12:07:05 am by NomotivationF »
Offering tutoring for Economics, Further Maths and Psychology
(Email [email protected])
(Mobile - 0435076426)

My journey through VCE

How I got a Raw 48 in Economics

2018 - Accounting [42] Further Maths [44]
2019 - English [39] Economics [48] Psychology [44] Maths methods [33]
ATAR - 97.5
2020-2023 - Ba Commerce/Science @Monash

rani_b

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +67
« Reply #2481 on: September 23, 2019, 06:37:13 pm »
Hey Rani, when I was studying methods last year the general consensus was to use unrounded answers for all your working out and then round at the end. With most vcaa questions, the final rounded answer will be the same regardless whether you rounded while working or not. However, if you need to round an answer in a previous question and use the same value for a new one, use the rounded value. Basically, use unrounded unless it says so.

Okay, thanks so much!
2019 ATAR: 99.85

Selling: English [50] & Lit [48] essays! PM for details.

TheEagle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #2482 on: September 27, 2019, 10:50:14 pm »
Hey AN

If someone helps me with a question from the NHT exam 2017, I'd greatly appreciate it. I have attached the photos below. I am having trouble with question 1C)ii. The original question is also attached.

Thanks

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #2483 on: September 28, 2019, 12:31:03 am »
Hey AN

If someone helps me with a question from the NHT exam 2017, I'd greatly appreciate it. I have attached the photos below. I am having trouble with question 1C)ii. The original question is also attached.

Thanks
Try substituting values into into the new transformed equation and see where it leads you. Also consider what an inverse transformation on the x axis does to your original graph.

Let me know if that didn’t quite help and you need some clues. :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 12:38:26 am by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

TheEagle

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2484 on: September 28, 2019, 01:55:13 pm »
Try substituting values into into the new transformed equation and see where it leads you. Also consider what an inverse transformation on the x axis does to your original graph.

Let me know if that didn’t quite help and you need some clues. :)

Sorry but I don't quite understand

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #2485 on: September 28, 2019, 04:33:27 pm »
+1
Sorry but I don't quite understand
Ok, I’ll try to break this down.
1. Remember the original equation. Then have a look at the original graph. How does the question Q1c)ii. differ to the original graph? (What transformation is used?)
2. We now want the transformed equation. It’ll make it easier to visualise and graph, as, if you work it out correctly, you’ll be able to substitute values and work out what type of graph you’ll be drawing. How can we do this given we know which transformation we are applying? Can we substitute something somewhere in the original equation to achieve this? If so, substitute as you see fit.
3. What sort of equation do you now have? Graph it. (Remember to substitute the value of k you would’ve worked out for the previous part of the question when you do this!)
4. Make sure you hit at least two points with their correct coordinates to gain the mark. (Assessors usually look for that in questions like this.)

Does what I’ve done and why I’m doing it make sense now?

Note
Note: You may have realised I did a few unnecessary steps e.g. find the transformed equation. This is because this is the way that I understand the most and thus can explain the best. (Plus, getting an equation means you can double check that you’ve got the right graph almost instantly.)  There’s more than one way to reason this question out and still get the same correct graph.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 04:35:37 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

TheEagle

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2486 on: September 28, 2019, 04:48:01 pm »
Ok, I’ll try to break this down.
1. Remember the original equation. Then have a look at the original graph. How does the question Q1c)ii. differ to the original graph? (What transformation is used?)
2. We now want the transformed equation. It’ll make it easier to visualise and graph, as, if you work it out correctly, you’ll be able to substitute values and work out what type of graph you’ll be drawing. How can we do this given we know which transformation we are applying? Can we substitute something somewhere in the original equation to achieve this? If so, substitute as you see fit.
3. What sort of equation do you now have? Graph it. (Remember to substitute the value of k you would’ve worked out for the previous part of the question when you do this!)
4. Make sure you hit at least two points with their correct coordinates to gain the mark. (Assessors usually look for that in questions like this.)

Does what I’ve done and why I’m doing it make sense now?

Note
Note: You may have realised I did a few unnecessary steps e.g. find the transformed equation. This is because this is the way that I understand the most and thus can explain the best. (Plus, getting an equation means you can double check that you’ve got the right graph almost instantly.)  There’s more than one way to reason this question out and still get the same correct graph.

So for the Q1c)i) I have gotten k=60 by doing the following: 30=k/2 (chose the point 2,30 and solved for k)
However, for part ii, the equation is avg speed= 1/time hence its no longer 60/time?

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #2487 on: September 28, 2019, 04:49:23 pm »
+1
Hey AN

Thanks

Now I don't know how the VCE curriculum works, but if your up to this kind of topic, you would've done something like graphing earlier. If you have then I'm sure you would've looked at Hyperbolas and what not. That's exactly what this equation is, it's of the form y = 1/x, except the '1' is a k which only changes steepness and not the shape.

TheEagle

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2488 on: September 28, 2019, 04:51:03 pm »
Now I don't know how the VCE curriculum works, but if your up to this kind of topic, you would've done something like graphing earlier. If you have then I'm sure you would've looked at Hyperbolas and what not. That's exactly what this equation is, it's of the form y = 1/x, except the '1' is a k which only changes steepness and not the shape.

I agree, but the answer is a linear graph...

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #2489 on: September 28, 2019, 04:52:14 pm »
I agree, but the answer is a linear graph...

Oh I didn't read the question, I thought the graph in the second image was the answer to the first.