Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:39:31 am

Author Topic: Society and Culture: Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions  (Read 1527 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes

This thread is for all exam related discussion. Was it easy? Was it hard? What did you get for 'that' tough question?? Feel free to pop any and all of your thoughts below.

If you don't have an ATAR Notes account yet, no stress! Register for free here!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 11:38:26 am by jamonwindeyer »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

jenae.madden

• Trailblazer
Re: Society and Culture: Discussion, Questions & Potential Solutions
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 05:39:32 pm »
ill tell u one thing... u cant study for society and culture....

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 05:47:56 pm »
So Section 1 I have mixed feelings for. Multiple choice, I'm unsure as usual. I tried to avoid looking back at it because I know I'm gonna second-guess myself and end up changing the answer. The 4 mark question is a bit dodgy. I kinda repeated myself when I was justifying my research method. For the 8-mark question, I was cool with because I was talking about how modernisation affected at a micro and meso level.

For belief systems and ideologies, the questions were alright. The 5-mark question kinda felt like an SOR question and I actually remembered the statistics on secularisation in Australia and used it here (thanks SOR lmao). For the essay question, the question was very similar to an essay question so I found it alright. I talked about how Hollywood fascination towards Buddhism to a Western audience (acceptance), technology is used to educate Buddhist ideas (acceptance) and the role of technology in highlighting issues (rejection).

For social inclusion and exclusion, the questions were also doable. Both of the questions are similar in the sense that both talk about the relationship between SVRs and social exclusion, though the essay question talked about social mobility. It felt a bit repetitive because I talked about how accessing SVRs can help access other SVRs, reflecting the interconnected relationship between these resources.
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 05:56:31 pm »
Bomb of a day today as one of those unlucky souls with both Modern and SAC. Of the two, SAC was the better exam.

Multiple choice wasn't too bad but I guess I'm just used to second guessing myself in SAC so I didn't dwell too long on it. The interactionist theory question was slightly a hoo boy moment because we didn't cover it in much depth in class but the rest of the questions weren't so bad.

I liked the questions for the short answers, especially the methodology one. It did make me go "ugh why" at first because I wanted a theory question or predictions question so modernisation was a little unexpected. In hindsight, I think I did well for it.

I think we were all at the mercy of those essay questions though. I had Belief Systems and Ideologies with Buddhism as my focus study and Conformity/Nonconformity with Bra Boys as my focus group. Absolutely hated the 5 marker. I did not cover secularisation in any detail at all in my revision so that was just totally embarrassing on my behalf. I thought the essay question was quite difficult in terms of linking acceptance and rejection to technology for Buddhism with the content I had prepared but at least it wasn't completely disastrous. I had a similar question in Trials so that wasn't too big of a surprise, just without the technology concept. Conformity/Nonconformity was a bit easier. The acquiescence question wasn't too bad for the Bra Boys as an example so I was quite pleased with how I went there. The roles of power and deviance question was a little strange (two odd concepts to pair together at least in my eyes) but I got by with it. I just found them tricky. I usually request more writing paper in SAC exams but I barely filled the space up for these sections which concerns me slightly.

I'm glad it's over now though. I dreaded this day for months so now that it's over, I feel motivated for that last exam to finish it all off. Would love to hear how others did  8)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 05:58:40 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

liladh

• Adventurer
  • ☆☆☆☆☆
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 06:21:32 pm »
Society was my last exam, I feel incredible that I'm finished!!!   ;D

Overall, I thought that the exam went really well, especially as I really struggled all year with a poor teacher and basically ended up having to teach myself the content. I did think that the multiple choice were tricky, but hey, sac multiple choice is always super confusing!!

The research methods question was fine, and the question on modernisation worked perfectly for my case study of Egypt, so woo!! However, I was a bit confused when I saw the question on secularism in Australia and hadn't prepared any statsistics, etc., but I think I managed to bluff my way through using the things I already knew.

As for the essays, the Popular Culture questions worked well with my case study of Barbie, I related the question on mythology to Naomi Wolf's idea of the "beauty myth" and notions of idealism, and somehow managed to remember all of the quotes and statistics that I may or may not have only studied this morning....

For belief systems, I found the questions pretty much as I expected (a bit tricky honestly), and similarly to owidjaja I related technology to the spread and acceptance of the belief system and also to the current events such as the rohingya crisis which are salient in contemporary news and broadcasting.

After all of that stress (especially with the PIP, don't know how I managed that!!) I can't believe it's all over!! Good job to everyone, you all put so much hard work and effort in and I know it will pay off!! Good luck with the rest of your exams!!  ;D
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 06:24:30 pm by liladh »
HSC 2018: English Advanced ✼ Ancient History (5th in the state) ✼ History Extension ✼ Society and Culture ✼ Visual Arts ✼ Japanese Continuers