Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:22:45 am

Author Topic: I think I failed my maths internals  (Read 5867 times)  Share 

punk2403

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
I think I failed my maths internals
« on: June 04, 2020, 11:37:32 am »
I just did my advanced maths test and I am by prediction, expecting a mark below 50% (most people couldn't finish the test like me). I am currently ranked 55/98 within the advanced maths cohort but will probably drop greatly due to the results of this test. If I somehow grind for trials and externals and bring my mark up to something within the ranges of 75-92 range (realistically), is getting a Band 4 or Band 5 still possible for me?

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
Re: I think I failed my maths internals
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 12:04:11 pm »
+3
Hey,

This depends on a few things, namely the weighting of the test and how good your cohort is. If the weighting of the test is low (like 20%), then you still have the chance to get a high rank. However, if the weighting is high, then you need to work harder at acing trials and externals. This test might still disadvantage you in terms of rank, but I don't think it will prevent you from achieving a good mark, as long as you work hard for your other assessments.
Now achieving a band 4 or 5 somewhat depends on your cohort. If your cohort does well, then your assessment mark will be lifted, and if you do well, you can achieve a great mark. If your cohort doesn't perform as expected, then your assessment mark might get dragged down.

If I were you, I would do two things. The first would be to determine why you didn't do so well in this test. Did you not have enough time to finish the paper? Do you need to go over your understanding of concepts again? Questions like these will help you to "diagnose" the problem that is setting you back from achieving your best. Once you have done so, figure out a solution to these problems, and make sure they don't happen again when externals and trials arrive.
The second would be to help my cohort. It makes sense, doesn't? Not only are you helping them in getting a better mark, but also you are enabling yourself to get a better mark! The better your cohort scores in the external, the more your assessment mark will be lifted up. It's a win-win situation.

I hope that helps! Obviously, I can't guarantee whether you will get a band 4 or band 5, but if you work hard (and smart) now, you will be able to achieve a good mark!
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

punk2403

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 12:14:15 pm »
+1
Hey,

This depends on a few things, namely the weighting of the test and how good your cohort is. If the weighting of the test is low (like 20%), then you still have the chance to get a high rank. However, if the weighting is high, then you need to work harder at acing trials and externals. This test might still disadvantage you in terms of rank, but I don't think it will prevent you from achieving a good mark, as long as you work hard for your other assessments.
Now achieving a band 4 or 5 somewhat depends on your cohort. If your cohort does well, then your assessment mark will be lifted, and if you do well, you can achieve a great mark. If your cohort doesn't perform as expected, then your assessment mark might get dragged down.

If I were you, I would do two things. The first would be to determine why you didn't do so well in this test. Did you not have enough time to finish the paper? Do you need to go over your understanding of concepts again? Questions like these will help you to "diagnose" the problem that is setting you back from achieving your best. Once you have done so, figure out a solution to these problems, and make sure they don't happen again when externals and trials arrive.
The second would be to help my cohort. It makes sense, doesn't? Not only are you helping them in getting a better mark, but also you are enabling yourself to get a better mark! The better your cohort scores in the external, the more your assessment mark will be lifted up. It's a win-win situation.

I hope that helps! Obviously, I can't guarantee whether you will get a band 4 or band 5, but if you work hard (and smart) now, you will be able to achieve a good mark!

Hey man. Thanks for the great advice. If it's alright, I understand how NESA scales our internal marks according to our ranking among out cohort but if you don't mind, could you inform me of how the cohort may impact my overall mark as well? I keep hearing about it from everyone around me but I don't fully understand how.

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 02:28:02 pm »
+1
Hey man. Thanks for the great advice. If it's alright, I understand how NESA scales our internal marks according to our ranking among out cohort but if you don't mind, could you inform me of how the cohort may impact my overall mark as well? I keep hearing about it from everyone around me but I don't fully understand how.

For more information on scaling and moderation, check out this article. This article helped me to understand the ins and outs of moderation and how NESA changes our internal marks plus stuff on how the ATAR is calculated. This helped me during my HSC, so check it out, and if you are still unsure, post a reply and I'll try my best to answer it!

Again, no problem! Glad to help ;D
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!