Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:36:40 am

Author Topic: Course preferences and medicine  (Read 485 times)  Share 

gracerose1310

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Course preferences and medicine
« on: December 12, 2019, 10:38:57 pm »
+1
Helloooo. I'm interested in a degree in health but am not sure exactly what I want. I would love to do dermatology or be a GP, but obviously I would need to attend medical school for that. My atar is only 91.75 and i have not completed chem or the UCAT.
Should I take a gap year and sit the UCAT as well as doing chem? but even then I wouldn't get a high enough score for direct entry, although I do get regional SEAS.
Or should I do a bachelor first and try and get into post-grad even though its super competitive?
Or should I just give up and do something like physio or nursing.
Please help I'm so confused and preferences are due in 2 days.

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: Course preferences and medicine
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 11:39:34 pm »
+5
Depends on whether you're ready to give your dreams of dermatology/ GP a second shot or not.

I feel like most of the options you've listed are valid ways, although personally, I'd be more inclined to attempt either the [insert an undergrad degree that would allow you to do postgrad med] + attempt for postgrad med option or physio/ nursing degree. If you want, you can even do both (undergrad physio or nursing, then postgrad med), from recollection (although I'd check on this first before doing that).

There's also the option of sitting the UCAT and taking chemistry in first year uni. (Of the unis that offer undergrad med, some won't let you enter via this pathway, but this is still an option nonetheless, so definitely see if Monash or any interstate unis will allow you do to this and act accordingly.)

Not sure if that helps to clarify your decision, but hopefully it's helped to see that you still have quite a few options left.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread