Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:43:11 pm

Author Topic: Where to go to Dentistry? VCE?  (Read 5099 times)  Share 

Blueivy_2000

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Where to go to Dentistry? VCE?
« on: December 05, 2018, 09:59:02 am »
Hey there,
Going into year 12 I'm aspiring to get into dentistry in either Adelaide Uni or Latrobe. What atar are we looking at for in. Also, is UMAT requires? Do these unis look at extracurricular activities?
I'm only completing 5 VCE subjects (which I just realised is a bad idea if I'm trying to aim for the highest possible atar). My subjects are:
Maths Methods
English
Biology
Chemistry
Accounting
I'm worried my subjects won't cut it, or even I WON'T CUT IT!

What's the best way to study? Should alot of the content be familiarised in the summer holidays so the year can be a jump start?

Any advice would be highly appreciated!!  :)

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: Where to go to Dentistry? VCE?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 11:33:14 am »
+7
Hey there BlueIvy!

Going into year 12 I'm aspiring to get into dentistry in either Adelaide Uni or Latrobe. What atar are we looking at for in. Also, is UMAT requires? Do these unis look at extracurricular activities?
For almost all courses, extracurriculars will not necessarily be looked at, however they can boost your VTAC personal statement or applicability for scholarships (and your resume for jobs). We also advocate for continuing the ones you love especially because you'll need them to relax throughout Year 12.
LaTrobe: Bachelor of Health Sciences/ Master of Dentistry (apply through VTAC)
First two questions can be answered for LaTrobe by a quick search of VTAC Course Search or at this website.

To give you the lowdown, it's a 5 year course in Bendigo with a clearly-in ATAR of 98.90 (will likely be lower if you're going via SEAS) or 97 if you're successful at entering the ASPIRE program. It does not seem like you'll need the UCAT (formerly known as the UMAT) for this course. You must be doing English (or equivalent and receive a raw 35+ SS), Bio (25+ raw SS) and Chem (25+ raw SS).

Adelaide Uni: (apply through SATAC)
There are two degrees, although I assume you want the Bachelor of Dental Surgery.
Bachelor of Dental Surgery (course info link here)
Clearly-in ATAR: 90
UCAT required: Yes (says "second ranking level" - more info here)
Prereqs: SACE Stage 2 Science subjects x 2 of Chem, Math Methods (previously Maths Studies), Spesh, Physics and one of Biology, Geology, Chem, Physics (please do your research or contact the uni about the VCE equivalents)
Other info: There are a number of additional requirements. Please check here > Entry Requirements > Additional Entry Requirements for them.

Bachelor of Oral Health (course info link here)
Clearly-in ATAR: 70
UCAT required: Doesn't look like it.
Prereqs: SACE Stage 2 x 1 20-credit from the Mathematics or Science Learning Areas (again, do your research or contact the uni about the VCE equivalents)
Other info: There isn't a first year 2019 intake (i.e. students who will start their first year in 2019), but seems to have had a first year 2018 intake due to an overhaul of the curriculum.

I'm only completing 5 VCE subjects (which I just realised is a bad idea if I'm trying to aim for the highest possible atar).

It's totally fine. There are actually a number of students on here that completed 5 subjects (sometimes 4) that still do really well (talking 90+, sometimes 95+ ATARs) and go on to study high ATAR-requiring courses. Six subjects just helps you maximise your potential to get said high ATAR. Also, it's no hassle if things don't always go to plan; there are usually several pathways to dentistry (or whatever you want, if you ever change your mind) and SEAS (special consideration). Might take a little longer with the other pathways though.

What's the best way to study? Should alot of the content be familiarised in the summer holidays so the year can be a jump start?
This will vary from person to person, so the "best way to study" is super subjective. A good idea is to browse the forums for your subjects for resources, tips and tricks, articles and notes to help you achieve your goals. This will also include tips on whether it's best to familiarise content in the summer holidays or not. 
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 09:46:32 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 11:53:25 am »
+3
AngelWings has given some great advice here :)
Just wanted to jump in and say it's definitely possible to achieve a really high ATAR with only 5 subjects! Honestly in terms of your ATAR, a 6th subject contributes a miniscule amount. It's much more beneficial to do well in the subjects that make up your top 4 than it is to do a 6th subject. For example - when I did VCE, it would have made a greater difference to my ATAR to score 1 point higher in one of my top 4 subjects than scoring 5 points higher in my 6th subject.

Either the dux or 2nd dux of my cohort only did 5 subjects - it's absolutely not going to stop you from doing really well :)

Blueivy_2000

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 09:31:27 am »
Thankyou for the advice!
With the aspire program, I'm pretty sure you apply in year 11 for year 12 entry. That means I missed it :'(
Is there an interview for Adelaide uni BDMS? 90 sounds much lower than other unis, is a 91 going to get you in?
You think the clearly in Atar will remain high 98's next year as well? I don't have any SEAS.

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 11:14:52 am »
+4
Thankyou for the advice!
With the aspire program, I'm pretty sure you apply in year 11 for year 12 entry. That means I missed it :'(
From the website:
Quote from: LaTrobe ASPIRE program
The Aspire Program is open to current Year-12 students (domestic and on-shore international)
You haven’t missed it yet. According to this, you apply in Year 12. And yes, you’ll need those extracurriculars we discussed earlier, especially volunteering and helping the general community with this program. :)
Is there an interview for Adelaide uni BDMS?
That information is found here. Just to let you know, the blue underlined words are all websites, so you can click on those for more information.
90 sounds much lower than other unis, is a 91 going to get you in?
Yes, if you are competitive enough.

The thing about all courses, regardless of whether it’s dentistry or not, it’s all about how many spots each university has for each course and how many people apply for them. If the number who apply and satisfy all the criteria (prerequisite subjects, ATAR after adjustments, UCAT and interview - if applicable, etc.) is much higher than the number of spots they can give out, then you’d have more competition and a harder time getting into those courses. On the other hand, the more spots and the less people who apply for it and fulfil all the criteria, the more likely you’ll get a spot in the course.
You think the clearly in Atar will remain high 98's next year as well?
Maybe? Clearly-in ATARs are merely guides and vary every year. However, in saying this, this depends on the amount of people fighting for a set number of spots, as I mentioned above.

I remember someone on AN (Mellyboo) that wound up studying dentistry at La Trobe after asking lots of questions. They’re not on AN much any more, but they left lots of helpful posts leading up to them getting into dentistry. For example, here’s one on clearly-in ATARs for 2015.
I don't have any SEAS.
You’d be surprised about what counts as special consideration sometimes. A bit more information on SEAS can be found here. The dates will be wrong for you as VTAC is still processing Year 12 students who finished in 2018 (most of them, anyway), but the other information is correct.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 07:25:29 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 11:18:58 am »
+1
Thankyou for the advice!
Is there an interview for Adelaide uni BDMS? 90 sounds much lower than other unis, is a 91 going to get you in?
You think the clearly in Atar will remain high 98's next year as well? I don't have any SEAS.

You can never really predict clearly in's but I would think it will stay around the same. A couple of years ago it was relatively low (in comparison to other years) - from memory 97.40 so it's always worth putting it down as a preference if you want that course.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 11:21:59 am »
+1
Thankyou for the advice!

+1 to everything AngelWings and Sine said

just to reinforce this:

- I (successfully) applied for the aspire program when I was in year 12 so it's not too late :)
- everyone at my school was eligible for SEAs, the vast vast majority for at least 2 reasons - I'd say most people had more. Definitely don't discount it until you've thoroughly checked

Quantum44

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +313
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 04:38:17 pm »
+1
For Adelaide dent you’ll need a solid UCAT percentile to score an interview. After that it works a little differently to other courses as UCAT and ATAR are only used as tiebreakers with interview score being the determinant of whether you get an offer. Of course, you will still need an ATAR of 90+ to reach the threshold.
UAdel MBBS