Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:14:26 pm

Author Topic: Mathomats/ Mathaids in the exam hall.  (Read 3310 times)  Share 

armtistic

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Mathomats/ Mathaids in the exam hall.
« on: May 05, 2017, 09:32:08 pm »
Hey guys  :D

For a long time I've struggled with drawing curves just because my precision is poor (something which translates over to my handwriting).
I find myself struggling to keep hyperbolas and ellipses symmetrical and take far too long to draw trig functions e.g. sin or tan curves etc.

I was wondering if anyone here has taken a Mathomat into the exam hall and if they could sell or direct me to a drawing aid that includes trig functions, a hyperbola and ellipses (has anyone found an ellispe template of usable size??) and
ATAR: 99.70

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
Re: Mathomats/ Mathaids in the exam hall.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 04:06:49 pm »
Hey guys  :D

For a long time I've struggled with drawing curves just because my precision is poor (something which translates over to my handwriting).
I find myself struggling to keep hyperbolas and ellipses symmetrical and take far too long to draw trig functions e.g. sin or tan curves etc.

I was wondering if anyone here has taken a Mathomat into the exam hall and if they could sell or direct me to a drawing aid that includes trig functions, a hyperbola and ellipses (has anyone found an ellispe template of usable size??) and

Bit late but I've been told you're allowed them in exam halls and maths exams. I think officeworks or newsagents should have them.
Heavy Things :(

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 04:28:04 pm »
Officeworks has the mathomats but personally I found the mathaid-4 superior.

It's quite unfortunate that I lost mine or I would've been happy to sell it quite cheap. I had to actually buy mine off the internet.

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 05:04:13 pm »
You could get your school to order bulk for your grade. Our school ordered like 40 mathomats and sold them for $6. Pretty good since they're exam approved.

Our teacher was selling them to our grade too. I should invest in one sometime as well :\ My ellipses look like lemons.
Heavy Things :(

herb123

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 11:19:54 am »
Yeah your're allowed these
But make sure they are the non-formula ones

bimberfairy

• Trendsetter
  • Dedicate the present to working on yourself
  • Respect: +36
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 08:41:56 pm »
Yes, I'm pretty sure you can bring a MathAid into the exam (: Maybe check with your school to see if they sell them because I know mine did. I'm pretty sure you can get it at Officeworks too or online
HSC 2017: Mathematics Extension | Mathematics Advanced | English Advanced | Biology | Legal Studies | Business Studies
2018: Bachelor of Commerce/Advanced Studies (Dalyell Scholars) @ USYD

"Everyone's fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 08:44:12 pm »
Thread locked. Query has been addressed (and thanks for any contribution) but any further posting will be considered as necro-bumping, so we will avoid that issue altogether.