Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:04:03 pm

Author Topic: which is harder to get a better score in?  (Read 4055 times)  Share 

potsu

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
which is harder to get a better score in?
« on: July 21, 2019, 07:24:19 pm »
Hey guys,
I am in year 11 at the moment and I have to confirm my subject selection choices. At the moment I am doing: Methods, Lang, Further, P.E. Chem and bio. I am thinking about changing further to enviro for year 12 as further seems to be really competitive therefore I thought it will be harder to get a 40+ on the other hand enviro there are only 20 students that don't seem as 'smart'.
What will be easier to get a higher score in also I like both subjects alot?
Thannks

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
Re: which is harder to get a better score in?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 06:55:32 pm »
+3
Sorry in advance, I'm not going to tell you which is easier.

They're very different subjects to learn. I got a 43 in Enviro and a 44 in further last year.

Further is way more straightforward - you know what you need to learn and you have plenty of practice questions that will be near identical to the exam.

Enviro is significantly more complicated, the study design isn't super clear and the only resources that exist are all made by the same company. The textbook has missing information - information that I struggled to find on the internet (whilst also having a hard time figuring out what it was I was supposed to know). There's very few company practice exams (same company that makes the textbook), there's one lecture during the year (same company) and that's it for resources.

Further can be a risk though because making a silly mistake on the exam can significantly affect your score, whilst in enviro the consequences aren't quite so severe.

My experience with enviro was probably heavily affected by my teacher though - we had many, many issues with him throughout the year which we complained about, but none of us were believed and nothing was done about it until after the last sac ::)

tl;dr further is straightforward but can be risky, enviro suffers because of lack of resources but you're less likely to damage your score because of a few silly mistakes on the exam.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: which is harder to get a better score in?
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 04:49:48 pm »
+1
I think it depends heaps, simply, on what you find more interesting, too! If you completely took study scores and ATARs and cohorts and stuff out of it, which subject would interest you more? Other factors might come into play, but IMO that'll give a pretty good indication of which subject to choose. :)

Good luck - keep us updated!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.