Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:48:57 pm

Author Topic: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 596242 times)  Share 

tcstudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
Re: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #900 on: May 30, 2013, 08:50:19 pm »
thanks for that assistance, ive decided to try and start doing practice questions on this area of study early instead of constantly summarising areas. im really tied of being 3 marks away from 100% and i  really want this one to be a 100% sac that is coming up in 2 weeks haha

AbominableMowman

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #901 on: May 30, 2013, 08:54:37 pm »
thanks for that assistance, ive decided to try and start doing practice questions on this area of study early instead of constantly summarising areas. im really tied of being 3 marks away from 100% and i  really want this one to be a 100% sac that is coming up in 2 weeks haha
Good luck!!
I've found that its better to do notes early on and start summarising stuff and then start doing more practice questions as the SAC gets closer.
2014 - VCE

2015 - 2017

jeanweasley

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Trust only in yourself
  • Respect: +73
  • School: SHGC
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #902 on: May 30, 2013, 08:55:20 pm »
We have Unit 3 trial exams so we've just been doing Unit 3 revision.. but I believe we're starting next week. Are you guys still doing outcome 3 :O

No, actually we've started KK1 and 2 (Key knowledge - refer to study guide) of Unit 4. We're actually going to have a Unit 3 test soon but it doesn't account for anything but pure revision.

Yes, I think one should always spend more time on practising questions than perfecting their notes. But 3 marks away from 100% is still great effort :) I'm aiming to get 100 and maintain that score for the rest of this Unit. Oh, and our teacher gave us a chocolate and a bookmark for finishing Unit 3. She's really sweet.
2014: BA @ Monash University
2015: LLB(Hons)/BA @ Monash University

AbominableMowman

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #903 on: May 30, 2013, 09:09:19 pm »
No, actually we've started KK1 and 2 (Key knowledge - refer to study guide) of Unit 4. We're actually going to have a Unit 3 test soon but it doesn't account for anything but pure revision.  Oh, and our teacher gave us a chocolate and a bookmark for finishing Unit 3. She's really sweet.
I hope we start Unit 4 soon, we've just been doing revision just for practice..
LOL yeah our teacher gives us lollies too but she's pretty mean when she marks SACs 
2014 - VCE

2015 - 2017

jeanweasley

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Trust only in yourself
« Reply #904 on: May 31, 2013, 02:42:16 pm »
I hope we start Unit 4 soon, we've just been doing revision just for practice..
LOL yeah our teacher gives us lollies too but she's pretty mean when she marks SACs

Haha, at least you'll be well versed for Unit 3. Unit 4 seems very small.
I guess that's how she compensates for it.

awesomejames

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #905 on: May 31, 2013, 05:37:50 pm »
Is it the York v. Jones (1989) case?

On another note, just finished my Legal SAC today and we had FOUR questions, but most were extended answers though. I think I did well. :)

I don't think it is that case. Apparently it was in the early 80's.
Anyone else?

vashappenin

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #906 on: June 02, 2013, 04:08:49 pm »
Hi guys :)
My unit 3 internal exam is coming up in a few days, so what do you think I should be doing to prepare? I've done a tonne of practice exam questions prior to each SAC and i need to refresh my memory on my notes and relevant examples, etc. Do you think i should just go over my notes and all my responses and  feedback from the practice exam questions or should I try and do some more questions??

Thanks! :)
2013: English, Maths Methods, Further Maths, Legal Studies, HHD, Psychology
2014-present: Bachelor of Laws @ Monash University

Tutoring VCE English, Psych, Legal Studies and HHD in 2016! Tutoring via Skype too. PM me if you're interested :)

jeanweasley

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Trust only in yourself
« Reply #907 on: June 02, 2013, 05:17:17 pm »
My unit 3 internal exam is coming up in a few days, so what do you think I should be doing to prepare? I've done a tonne of practice exam questions prior to each SAC and i need to refresh my memory on my notes and relevant examples, etc. Do you think i should just go over my notes and all my responses and  feedback from the practice exam questions or should I try and do some more questions??

I think you should just have a quick flick through your notes and then combine a questions list in an unordered set, with some questions focusing on or linking to another topic in the Unit. VCAA has good questions and your textbook or study guide might have them too. Good luck!

staceyanne1

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • English, HHD, Geography, Drama, Methods, Physics
  • Respect: 0
  • School: RSA
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #908 on: June 02, 2013, 06:23:24 pm »
HI GUYS,

i urgently need help as I have a SAC coming up and I don't know how to answer this question.

Evaluate the extent to which the doctrine of precedent allows the courts to change law. (8 marks)

If somebody could help me lay it out or give me any help it would be greatly appreciated

jeanweasley

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Trust only in yourself
« Reply #909 on: June 02, 2013, 07:21:29 pm »
HI GUYS,

i urgently need help as I have a SAC coming up and I don't know how to answer this question.

Evaluate the extent to which the doctrine of precedent allows the courts to change law. (8 marks)

If somebody could help me lay it out or give me any help it would be greatly appreciated

Evaluate = analyse
the extent = to what extent

If you rephrase it, "To what extent can the courts change law through the doctrine of precedent?", it's easier to tackle. I believe this question refers to the flexibility methods of judges and how they can reverse, overrule and distinguish precedents. However, you MUST must mention that there are limitations in the courts being able to change law because of their position in the hierarchy.

So, from now on, anything with 'to what extent' or anything with that word, as well as evaluate/discuss/analyse, means that you must show both sides of the coin. In some cases, you may deliver an opinion but it is not necessarily needed.
Good luck!

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +343
« Reply #910 on: June 03, 2013, 10:07:31 am »

I would say focus on the areas or topic(s) which you find the hardest. There isn't really any point going over content which you are confident with (and hence, know well). Good luck!

vashappenin

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #911 on: June 03, 2013, 10:11:13 am »
Do you think I should be doing new questions or should I just read through my responses to all the practice exam questions that I've already done?
2013: English, Maths Methods, Further Maths, Legal Studies, HHD, Psychology
2014-present: Bachelor of Laws @ Monash University

Tutoring VCE English, Psych, Legal Studies and HHD in 2016! Tutoring via Skype too. PM me if you're interested :)

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +343
« Reply #912 on: June 03, 2013, 01:33:50 pm »
+1
Do you think I should be doing new questions or should I just read through my responses to all the practice exam questions that I've already done?

That's really up to you. Doing more questions doesn't always equate to achieving a better mark (quality over quantity). If the questions you've already done cover a broad range of topics, perhaps go over those questions and refine your responses (i.e. try to improve them).

jeanweasley

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Trust only in yourself
« Reply #913 on: June 03, 2013, 05:16:37 pm »

I just want to add that whilst you can read your responses to questions, you should always always practise questions more than reading them. Or practise the question again to see if you actually remember how to tackle it.

On a separate note, does anyone have a good way of remembering the civil original and appellate and criminal original and appellate jurisdictions of the courts?

Firemurphy

« Reply #914 on: June 03, 2013, 09:16:25 pm »
Could anyone tell me if there is a difference between critically evaluate and evaluate.
When I asked my teacher, he said that critically evaluate means to focus slightly more on the weaknesses (ie. be critical when evaluating). Is that true, and do we need to be negative about the topic? Eg. if the topic was critically evaluate the roles of courts, do we have to say the courts are weak simply because it is critically evaluate?
in simple words, does critically evaluate means to show strength and weakness but come to an evaluation on why the topic is weak?