Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 12:40:37 am

Author Topic: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 596519 times)  Share 

burbs

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Fuck da police - Aristotle
  • Respect: +227
Re: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #630 on: August 27, 2011, 07:54:41 pm »
does unit four require cases as examples? all i can think of for examples are statistics really....

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +343
« Reply #631 on: August 27, 2011, 08:32:39 pm »
does unit four require cases as examples? all i can think of for examples are statistics really....

I don't think the question is whether "Unit 4 requires cases as examples?" - it's more-so "are there even any cases in Unit 4?!" I don't think you need to know any cases for Unit 4, seeing as it's not mentioned in the study design nor in any of the textbooks.

burbs

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Fuck da police - Aristotle
  • Respect: +227
« Reply #632 on: August 27, 2011, 08:33:28 pm »

I don't think the question is whether "Unit 4 requires cases as examples?" - it's more-so "are there even any cases in Unit 4?!" I don't think you need to know any cases for Unit 4, seeing as it's not mentioned in the study design nor in any of the textbooks.

mmmmm. J&O has so many examples at the end of everything I just wasn't sure :)

cranberry

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #633 on: August 28, 2011, 02:24:28 pm »
No examples so far for us, just the few acts (sentencing act, bail act, road safety act...)
Master of Civil Engineering and Bachelor of Science at the University of Melbourne

VCE:
2010: Revolutions [36]
2011: English 45, Legal Studies 38, Physics 37, Chemistry 34, Methods 36

playsimme

« Reply #634 on: August 29, 2011, 04:40:29 pm »
can someone please clear this up for me: who determines the remedy in a civil case? is it the jury or judge if theres a jury?

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +343
« Reply #635 on: August 29, 2011, 04:49:18 pm »
can someone please clear this up for me: who determines the remedy in a civil case? is it the jury or judge if theres a jury?

Depends on the remedy. The jury will award damages such as specific, general damages in a civil case. The judge will decide the other remedies such as order of specific performance and restitution.

nacho

• The Thought Police
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +418
« Reply #636 on: August 29, 2011, 04:58:16 pm »
i have a question in regards to sanctions.
study design says • an overview of three types of sanctions and their specific purpose
are these three sanctions 'imprisonment, fines and CBOs' or 'adjournment, fines and CBOs' or something else?
also, do we need to know about 'deferred sentencing', youth justice orders and suspended sentences? or is that all irrelevant?

edit: actually nevermind, according to A+ notes, it can be any three. ill stick to imprisonment, fines and CBOs since i already know them :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 05:01:09 pm by nacho »
OFFICIAL FORUM RULE #1:
TrueTears is my role model so find your own

2012: BCom/BSc @ Monash
[Majors: Finance, Actuarial Studies, Mathematical Statistics]
[Minors: Psychology/ Statistics]

"Baby, it's only micro when it's soft".
-Bill Gates

Upvote me

cranberry

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #637 on: August 29, 2011, 05:25:36 pm »
i have a question in regards to sanctions.
study design says • an overview of three types of sanctions and their specific purpose
are these three sanctions 'imprisonment, fines and CBOs' or 'adjournment, fines and CBOs' or something else?
also, do we need to know about 'deferred sentencing', youth justice orders and suspended sentences? or is that all irrelevant?

edit: actually nevermind, according to A+ notes, it can be any three. ill stick to imprisonment, fines and CBOs since i already know them :)

Was abit worried today when adjournment wasn't in the 4 sanctions we could describe on our sac today!...luckily we only had to describe two of the four, so imprisonment and fines it was! PHEW>>>....
Master of Civil Engineering and Bachelor of Science at the University of Melbourne

VCE:
2010: Revolutions [36]
2011: English 45, Legal Studies 38, Physics 37, Chemistry 34, Methods 36

nacho

• The Thought Police
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +418
« Reply #638 on: August 29, 2011, 06:08:37 pm »
legal studies is so much less daunting when you stick to the study design. :D
course should be finished in 3 days :D
then revision :D
:D
OFFICIAL FORUM RULE #1:
TrueTears is my role model so find your own

2012: BCom/BSc @ Monash
[Majors: Finance, Actuarial Studies, Mathematical Statistics]
[Minors: Psychology/ Statistics]

"Baby, it's only micro when it's soft".
-Bill Gates

Upvote me

billius1

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #639 on: September 04, 2011, 10:50:51 pm »
+2
tear apart the constitution aos. the questions they can ask on that are by far the hardest possible (closely followed by effectiveness of the legal system when worded awkwardly). the reason is a lot of the questions have different answers depending who you ask. for example a critical evaluation of the constitution in protecting h&d rights is given a different answer in vcaa assessment reports than most textbooks explain.

i did the subject last year, and even though the course has been tweaked, the fundamentals are the same. the constitution is the hardest part, even though you might not have gotten that when actually studying it (that's why you need to tear it apart because theres a lot more they can ask than you might first think)

Zafaraaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +7
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #640 on: September 04, 2011, 11:11:16 pm »
tear apart the constitution

:o :o But I'll go to jail! :'(

lol sorry just felt like saying something stupid  :P
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle" -Plato

billius1

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #641 on: September 05, 2011, 06:27:13 pm »
lol weird, i made that exact same joke when my teacher said it to me!

hotdog169

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #642 on: September 07, 2011, 03:12:29 pm »
I've got a question for 10 marks that says "The adversary trial is faultless and cannot be improved, discuss this statement and indicate to to the extent to which your agree?" i assume im gonna be mentioning strnegths and weaknesses of all five features then on the same paper i have a question for 8 marks thats says "the adversary is not perfect and could be improved" discuss wheather you agree and list two possible improvements"? how would i tackle that , would that just be mentioning the weaknesses with 2 improvements? and also another question im having problems with is for 10 marks "The adversary trial been used for criminal cases provides for a effective legal ssytem discuss if you agree and include 2 elements of a effective legal system"? how would i tackle that? any help?

MJRomeo81

• Part of the furniture
  • Princeps
  • Respect: +167
« Reply #643 on: September 07, 2011, 04:11:09 pm »
It's strange that you have both of these questions on the same paper.

I've got a question for 10 marks that says "The adversary trial is faultless and cannot be improved, discuss this statement and indicate to to the extent to which your agree?"
As you said, you will want to discuss strengths and weaknesses. I was going to say mention reforms, but your next question kinda covers it...

then on the same paper i have a question for 8 marks thats says "the adversary is not perfect and could be improved" discuss wheather you agree and list two possible improvements"?
Yep here you're agreeing by stating weaknesses and discussing several reforms that can enhance the effectiveness of the adversary system. The textbook Justice and Outcomes has a sub-chapter on reforms.

and also another question im having problems with is for 10 marks "The adversary trial been used for criminal cases provides for a effective legal ssytem discuss if you agree and include 2 elements of a effective legal system"?
Effective legal system =
1: Entitlement to a fair and unbiased hearing
2: Effective access to the legal system
3: Timely resolution of disputes

So here we are agreeing with the question and out of the three elements above, select two. The key words in this question are "criminal cases". I would be discussing committal hearings and how direct indictment speeds up cases (for a timely resolution). You can also say that the purpose of a committal hearing speeds things up (since the process determines if the case is a prima facie case, that is, whether the evidence is sufficient to support a conviction by jury at trial).
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 04:13:05 pm by MJRomeo81 »
Currently working in the IT Industry as an Oracle DBA (State Government)

Murphy was an optimist

Bachelor of Information Technology @ La Trobe (Melbourne) - Completed 2014
WAM: 91.96
The key, the whole key, and nothing but the key, so help me Codd.

Subjects I tutored during my time at LTU:
CSE2DBF (Database Fundamentals)
CSE1IS (Information Systems)
CSE2DES (System Design Engineering)

“If I had an hour to solve a problem I'd spend 55 minutes defining the problem and 5 minutes thinking about solutions.”
― Albert Einstein

hotdog169

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #644 on: September 07, 2011, 06:40:14 pm »
thanks MJRomeo81, back to the second question it tells me to mention two possible reforms, so would i assume a weakness and a reform to that would be 4 marks another weakness (in detail of course) plus its improvement could be another 4 (e.g weaknesses of role of the judge then the improvement to that is increasing the role of the judge) ?