Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:58:57 am

Author Topic: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 596345 times)  Share 

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +343
Re: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #180 on: December 30, 2010, 08:56:25 pm »
i bought it for $40 from my school booklist back in 2009. this year i used justice and outcomes, a+ legal notes and those that did 1/2 we used the legal dictionary, you probs don't need one because you have 2 textbooks

Yeah, I probably won't get the dictionary in the end. Hopefully the 2 textbooks can serve me just as well.

Thanks for your help anyhow.

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #181 on: December 31, 2010, 12:13:29 pm »
Another question:

What is the relationship between the Victorian Parliament and the Victorian Law Reform Commission?

Is that just the VLRC recommends changes on a particular issue and its report is tabled in the Victorian Parliament?.. then, Parliament may accept the findings and make amendments?.. or conversely, reject the recommendations?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

onur369

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #182 on: December 31, 2010, 12:23:12 pm »
Dont over study, go out and enjoy your day.
2011:
Aims-
English 35, Further 45+, Methods 35, Physics 32, Turkish 33, Legal 28.

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #183 on: December 31, 2010, 12:33:11 pm »

I'm Asian! >.> ... Holidays = study. :P

I'm not over-killing on study, I haven't done much Legal over the past few days. Procrastinated.

I'd still like my question answered by someone! :)

I'll take heed of your advice.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 12:34:50 pm by EPL.11.4ever. »

adelaide.emily10

« Reply #184 on: December 31, 2010, 12:57:06 pm »
Another question:

What is the relationship between the Victorian Parliament and the Victorian Law Reform Commission?

Is that just the VLRC recommends changes on a particular issue and its report is tabled in the Victorian Parliament?.. then, Parliament may accept the findings and make amendments?.. or conversely, reject the recommendations?

your basically right, the vlrc was set up to monitor and recommend all law reform in victoria. the vic parlaiment particularly relies on the vlrc for formal law reform recommendations and so without the vlrc, the vic parlaiment would not necesasrily be up to date with what society wants in terms of laws and concerns.

i think i spend way too much time on this board....

nacho

• The Thought Police
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +418
« Reply #185 on: December 31, 2010, 01:08:57 pm »
I think you should study as much as you can. overstudy meaning how much? 6+ hours a day or less?
OFFICIAL FORUM RULE #1:
TrueTears is my role model so find your own

2012: BCom/BSc @ Monash
[Majors: Finance, Actuarial Studies, Mathematical Statistics]
[Minors: Psychology/ Statistics]

"Baby, it's only micro when it's soft".
-Bill Gates

Upvote me

onur369

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #186 on: December 31, 2010, 01:59:48 pm »
I think you should study as much as you can. overstudy meaning how much? 6+ hours a day or less?

Ye overstudying you can say 5+ hours a day on holidays. Im not going to touch Legal on the holidays to be honest. Ive got my A+ Notes so I might read over that a few times to understand the concepts. Im going to a 2 week school camp which we will bascially start school and enjoy sometime with the friends. Im finishing Unit3 physics there and might touch up on some Legal, English,Further and Methods
2011:
Aims-
English 35, Further 45+, Methods 35, Physics 32, Turkish 33, Legal 28.

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #187 on: December 31, 2010, 02:14:06 pm »

I agree with the first part. I suppose the reason I'm studying now, is to get a head-start and get through as much as I can before school starts. The most I've studied these holidays for one day was about 4 hours, changing subjects every so often.

For a subject like Legal, it's best to get a head-start. I PMed Wilby, who got 50 for Legal Studies this year (2010), and he told me he worked through most of Unit 3 during the holidays - which is what I'm hoping to do as well. I agree over-studying isn't all that good and you obviously need breaks in between.

flash36

« Reply #188 on: December 31, 2010, 02:18:35 pm »
Legal Studies is not hard, it's one of the easier subjects you'll find. It doesn't require intense study a month before the school year starts; the best time to study hard for legals is the term 2 holidays and term 3 holidays, as Unit 4 is larger in terms of content than Unit 3.

All I did in the summer holidays last year was summarise the first 4 chapters of the textbook for our first SAC, but I'm sure there's no such thing as studying too much! ;)

andy456

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #189 on: December 31, 2010, 06:51:41 pm »
To be honest I didn't do any studying for legal before school started.... Its extremelly difficult to fall behind in legal as all you are doing is reading. You can get away with keeping up with the class until Unit 4 and then getting it done quick (as flash) has said but even that isn't essential....

You guys have to find whats right for you and copying what someone did who got a 50 might not work for you, so beware  :o.... You have to remember luck plays a big part in humanity subjects on the day of the exam.... 
VCE 2010: Eng 42 | Legal 49 | Chem 37 | MM 34 | Indo SL 33 |
ATAR: 97.45

2011: Bachelor of Arts Monash University
2012: Bachelor of Commerce?? Please!!

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #190 on: January 01, 2011, 11:03:49 am »
Another question:

Critically evaluate two factors that may influence parliament’s willingness to change the law.

I don't know how to answer this question. I was thinking something like "Changing community attitudes and values" and "Changing expectations of the legal system", but I'm not too sure.

saaaaaam

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #191 on: January 01, 2011, 12:18:31 pm »
Another question:

Critically evaluate two factors that may influence parliament’s willingness to change the law.

I don't know how to answer this question. I was thinking something like "Changing community attitudes and values" and "Changing expectations of the legal system", but I'm not too sure.

If I was answering this question I'd most likely talk about formal pressure for change in the law and compare it to informal pressures for change. An example of a formal pressure is the Victorian Law Reform Committee (which is the only one list in the new study design?). These formal bodies generally are more successful than informal bodies, especially if they can table their report in parliament.

Informal pressure can come from individuals, protesters, rallies, petitions. Petitions are only successful if they have LOTS of signatures. Last year there was a 'Save Live Music' rally in Melbourne, so I liked to use that as my example. Rallies are good because they often get media attention so politicians are forced to respond/acknowledge the issue. However if a rally were to turn violent than the violence would cast the cause of the rally in a bad light.

Anyway, that's just my take on the question.
The dreams that you dare to dream really do come true.

flash36

« Reply #192 on: January 01, 2011, 12:24:08 pm »
Haven't seen a question like that before. I would say one factor would be the type of issue/area of law to be amended in terms of how sensitive it is amongst the community eg abortion. This can instigate law change as parliament (or more realistically, the government of the day) want to keep voters/their electorates happy by being seen to be taking action in such an area, or on the other hand it can make parliament unwilling to change the law as it may result in a voter backlash and/or the loss of an election.

Another factor may be the pressure of lobby groups/individuals who are demanding changes in the law. If there is no or little public interest or push for law change, then parliament may decide not to alter the law, or decide to postpone law change, however immense pressure from law reform groups will obviously make parliament more willing to amend a law.

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #193 on: January 01, 2011, 12:42:22 pm »
Thanks for the help!

@flash36 - The question isn't more specific than that, unfortunately. The first part of your answer is quite good.

I like your answer saaaaaam, it makes some sense to me.

Though my take on this question was that, it was asking reasons/factors why the Parliament may change the law, not necessarily ways of changing the law (i.e. petitions, demonstrations etc). I'm probably wrong in any case - you guys know more than me. I'm just confusing myself, so I'll leave it at that.

Again,

Cheers for the help.

saaaaaam

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #194 on: January 01, 2011, 12:56:59 pm »
I guess it's all in the way you word your answer. I'd end it with a few lines that directly relate to the question, something like:

An informal pressure for change, such as a petition is less likely to influence parliament’s willingness to change the law, as in order to represent the entire community it must have hundreds of thousands of signatures. In comparison the Victorian Law Reform Committee has a higher chance of influencing parliament’s willingness to change the law. It is especially powerful as it reports and makes recommendations directly to the Attorney General. The VLRC's success in influencing a change in the law is evident in the James Ramage Case, where following the VLRC's recommendations, parliament abolished 'provocation' a partial defence to murder.

EDIT: Rereading the question I can easily see how you could also talk about 'factors' in terms of advances in technology (upskirting, genetic modification), change in morals (gay rights) and that sort of thing.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 01:00:36 pm by saaaaaam »
The dreams that you dare to dream really do come true.