Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:41:59 pm

Author Topic: IA3 physics RI discussion n help  (Read 2543 times)

juicebox_441

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
IA3 physics RI discussion n help
« on: May 30, 2021, 11:37:48 am »
Heyy guys :)

We were to choose a claim for my physics research investigation, and then pose a research question out of that claim. The two possible claims I settled on were:

1- Quantum physics enables humans to remotely explore the universe.
2- Interstellar travel for humans is possible because of relativity

I did loads of research on both of these claims however I still seem like I can't make a decision between the two, since I enjoy both of them! although the second claim makes me feel a little biased as I always loved interstellar and space related themes, so I think I'll enjoy talking about it. But, the first claims seems to have way more information on it which I can reference and compare, resulting in more marks unlike the second one. I still don't mind it though; I just feel a bit lost while picking. Can someone please help me decide on which claim to use? Probably based on how much information and how complex they can both get.

My research question will sound something like this: "Will astronauts be able to travel by interstellar probes and return within their life span relying on current understandings of relativity and use of modern technology?" which sounds so lame so I also need help refining it :P

Thanksss
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 08:56:17 pm by K.Smithy »

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "We are the cosmos made conscious." B.C. (she/her)
  • Respect: +396
Re: IA3 physics RI discussion n help
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 01:07:24 pm »
+1
Heyy guys :)

We were to choose a claim for my physics research investigation, and then pose a research question out of that claim. The two possible claims I settled on were:

1- Quantum physics enables humans to remotely explore the universe.
2- Interstellar travel for humans is possible because of relativity

I did loads of research on both of these claims however I still seem like I can't make a decision between the two, since I enjoy both of them! although the second claim makes me feel a little biased as I always loved interstellar and space related themes, so I think I'll enjoy talking about it. But, the first claims seems to have way more information on it which I can reference and compare, resulting in more marks unlike the second one. I still don't mind it though; I just feel a bit lost while picking. Can someone please help me decide on which claim to use? Probably based on how much information and how complex they can both get.

My research question will sound something like this: "Will astronauts be able to travel by interstellar probes and return within their life span relying on current understandings of relativity and use of modern technology?" which sounds so lame so I also need help refining it :P

Thanksss

Hey Juicebox_441!

Both of these are super interesting questions to think about! I definitely think that the second one sounds like it would be fun to write about - though that is just because Interstellar is my favourite movie ahaha. The only let down with it is that you can really only talk about two things: 1) time dilation, and 2) length contraction.
The first one however you could go into different quantum technologies (which is also super cool!!). As you said, you have been able to find more information for the first claim so it may be worthwhile writing about that one.

That being said, the research question you have developed definitely allows you to go beyond time dilation and length contraction - its sort of an amalgamation of both of the claims. I do think you'd be able to write quite an insightful RI given your approach. Though, to refine the question (which doesn't sound lame at all btw) you could probably write it like: "Do the capabilities of modern technology, combined with current understanding of special relativity, allow for manned interstellar travel to be a viable practice?"

Hope this helps! Give us a shout if you have any questions or concerns :)
Katelyn
QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)
ATAR: 98.40
2021-2024: Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) @ UQ

Uni Journal ; U3 Bio ; U3 Psych ; U3 Physics

juicebox_441

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 02:15:24 pm »
Hey Juicebox_441!

Both of these are super interesting questions to think about! I definitely think that the second one sounds like it would be fun to write about - though that is just because Interstellar is my favourite movie ahaha. The only let down with it is that you can really only talk about two things: 1) time dilation, and 2) length contraction.
The first one however you could go into different quantum technologies (which is also super cool!!). As you said, you have been able to find more information for the first claim so it may be worthwhile writing about that one.

That being said, the research question you have developed definitely allows you to go beyond time dilation and length contraction - its sort of an amalgamation of both of the claims. I do think you'd be able to write quite an insightful RI given your approach. Though, to refine the question (which doesn't sound lame at all btw) you could probably write it like: "Do the capabilities of modern technology, combined with current understanding of special relativity, allow for manned interstellar travel to be a viable practice?"

Hope this helps! Give us a shout if you have any questions or concerns :)
Katelyn

Hi K.Smithy!
Thank you for the reply, looks like I'll settle on the second one then! ;D

I also really liked how you refined the question, but could you also please help me think of a way to insert "during their life span" somewhere in it? since that would be the focus of my question, so basically I'm talking about whether astronauts can travel and return within their lifetime and not be dead once they are back to earth (sounds horrible lol) with time dilations, acceleration and length contraction taken into account.

Finally, is there an aspect to my question that you think I should definitely also look into besides the ones we mentioned?

Thank you so much!

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "We are the cosmos made conscious." B.C. (she/her)
  • Respect: +396
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2021, 03:45:16 pm »
+1
I also really liked how you refined the question, but could you also please help me think of a way to insert "during their life span" somewhere in it? since that would be the focus of my question, so basically I'm talking about whether astronauts can travel and return within their lifetime and not be dead once they are back to earth (sounds horrible lol) with time dilations, acceleration and length contraction taken into account.

Maybe something like: "Do the capabilities of modern technology, combined with current understanding of special relativity, allow for a manned probe to observe interstellar travel, while still returning within the duration of a single lifespan?" (???)

Finally, is there an aspect to my question that you think I should definitely also look into besides the ones we mentioned?

So what you'll definitely have to bring up are the aspects of relativity (time dilation and length contraction) and modern technology (so you can definitely go into quantum stuff here if you want). You could also go into how far modern technology has come - so compare it to the technology implemented in the past, that way you can address the strengths of modern technology. Then maybe even discuss the limitations of modern technology and how technology in the future will improve and better aid interstellar travel.
Though, as the claim you are addressing is the 2nd one, make sure your essay has a significant focus on relativity! :)
QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)
ATAR: 98.40
2021-2024: Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) @ UQ

Uni Journal ; U3 Bio ; U3 Psych ; U3 Physics

juicebox_441

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 08:47:30 pm »
Maybe something like: "Do the capabilities of modern technology, combined with current understanding of special relativity, allow for a manned probe to observe interstellar travel, while still returning within the duration of a single lifespan?" (???)
Actually that sounds really good! Slightly less different than the one I confirmed with my teacher, thanks for the help!

So what you'll definitely have to bring up are the aspects of relativity (time dilation and length contraction) and modern technology (so you can definitely go into quantum stuff here if you want). You could also go into how far modern technology has come - so compare it to the technology implemented in the past, that way you can address the strengths of modern technology. Then maybe even discuss the limitations of modern technology and how technology in the future will improve and better aid interstellar travel.
Though, as the claim you are addressing is the 2nd one, make sure your essay has a significant focus on relativity! :)
Thank you this really helped !!  :)