Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:37:47 am

Author Topic: Really struggling with methods  (Read 2001 times)  Share 

SnekiSnek

• Trendsetter
  • Knowledge gremlin - coming for your neurons
  • Respect: +26
Really struggling with methods
« on: May 03, 2021, 10:01:39 am »
Last year because of covid, and I assume this was the case for a lot of people, I feel like I didn't learn a lot of the basics and fundamentals that are covered in units 1+2. Now I'm struggling to keep up and understand content in units 3+4 because of this, does anyone have any resources or suggestions for help?

The first SAC is looming :(
Literature, Methods, Further, Chemistry, Legal Studies, Psychology, Classical Studies, Physics

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Really struggling with methods
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 10:07:39 am »
+2
Last year because of covid, and I assume this was the case for a lot of people, I feel like I didn't learn a lot of the basics and fundamentals that are covered in units 1+2. Now I'm struggling to keep up and understand content in units 3+4 because of this, does anyone have any resources or suggestions for help?

The first SAC is looming :(
What is your first SAC on (assuming it is everything up until the end of calculus?) and what specific aspects do you think you didn't really understand that well?

SnekiSnek

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 10:15:35 am »
What is your first SAC on (assuming it is everything up until the end of calculus?) and what specific aspects do you think you didn't really understand that well?

Our teacher hasn't really discussed it yet as we are having to power through the content at an insane rate (only just finishing chapter 6 circular functions). A lot of it is mucking up simple things like domain and range and not knowing where to start with questions
Literature, Methods, Further, Chemistry, Legal Studies, Psychology, Classical Studies, Physics

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 10:26:45 am »
+3
Our teacher hasn't really discussed it yet as we are having to power through the content at an insane rate (only just finishing chapter 6 circular functions). A lot of it is mucking up simple things like domain and range and not knowing where to start with questions
By simple things do you mean just careless errors? If so I think it is less important at this stage when you are still learning the content (although something to address later on). Understanding the concepts at this stage is much more important. Is there anything specific about domain/range that you don't understand?

This may be a bit broad but I think if you don't know where to start with a question you should:
- Think about what information you have been given (you can assume all the information is relevant -> especially if it is VCAA and when you are stuck)
- Try to convert any words/sentences into numbers/equations
- Think about how each different piece of information you have relates to one another (often when people are stuck this is the connection they are not able to make)
- Remember that they are only testing you on what you have been taught/learned so even if a question seems left-field it can be distilled down to a known concept
- The following parts may be more relevant for exams/sacs but think about the different parts of the study design and what hasn't been tested
- Ultimately, if you don't know how to answer a question and you are wasting too much time try to obtain partial marks (by writing all information you have, correct equations for that question) and then move on

SnekiSnek

• Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 11:03:14 am »
By simple things do you mean just careless errors? If so I think it is less important at this stage when you are still learning the content (although something to address later on). Understanding the concepts at this stage is much more important. Is there anything specific about domain/range that you don't understand?

This may be a bit broad but I think if you don't know where to start with a question you should:
- Think about what information you have been given (you can assume all the information is relevant -> especially if it is VCAA and when you are stuck)
- Try to convert any words/sentences into numbers/equations
- Think about how each different piece of information you have relates to one another (often when people are stuck this is the connection they are not able to make)
- Remember that they are only testing you on what you have been taught/learned so even if a question seems left-field it can be distilled down to a known concept
- The following parts may be more relevant for exams/sacs but think about the different parts of the study design and what hasn't been tested
- Ultimately, if you don't know how to answer a question and you are wasting too much time try to obtain partial marks (by writing all information you have, correct equations for that question) and then move on

It's more a case of I half understand topics and half don't because I missed all of it online, is there anyway I can quickly catch up?

mabajas76

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 01:48:51 am »
+2
Wow that is quite rough, my year level is the same, class averaged 24% on our first SAC, which was like basic stuff from last year...
If you are looking to improve your math, then honestly u r a step ahead than a lot of kids. First thing I did was figure out how I studied math, and there are 2 ways. 1) If you are a formula guy, then look at how the textbook solves a variety of problems in the chapter, get it to a dot point form or list and use that. If u do that, then notes, whilst important, come after you have done the questions and figured out how to answer each style. Next style is concepts, instead of just knowing the general quadratic form, really try to understand it. Go onto Desmos graphing and play around with variables, just try to understand something like when you are solving a linear equation, you may often have real world context and so be realistic and think logically. If you are more of a concept guy, I reccomend writing notes first and then doing the excersizes once u understand the theroy. After this, it is all up to practice, practice, practice. It sucks, but I did every question from a few important exercises and filled up a 128 book (I have very large/messy writing tho) just for 3.5 chapter SAC, which I got 95% on, much higher than the average, but like don't stress too much, just do enough so that they seem repetitive and u r confident. Also ask questions!!!!!!! Teacher knows, teacher writes SAC, or maybe ask some people on here.
TLDR: Figure out ur style of study, do questions but don't drill urself to death and ask questions!
"Don't give up, and don't put too much effort into things that don't matter"-Albert Einstein, probably.

SnekiSnek

• Trendsetter
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 02:54:23 pm »
Wow that is quite rough, my year level is the same, class averaged 24% on our first SAC, which was like basic stuff from last year...
If you are looking to improve your math, then honestly u r a step ahead than a lot of kids. First thing I did was figure out how I studied math, and there are 2 ways. 1) If you are a formula guy, then look at how the textbook solves a variety of problems in the chapter, get it to a dot point form or list and use that. If u do that, then notes, whilst important, come after you have done the questions and figured out how to answer each style. Next style is concepts, instead of just knowing the general quadratic form, really try to understand it. Go onto Desmos graphing and play around with variables, just try to understand something like when you are solving a linear equation, you may often have real world context and so be realistic and think logically. If you are more of a concept guy, I reccomend writing notes first and then doing the excersizes once u understand the theroy. After this, it is all up to practice, practice, practice. It sucks, but I did every question from a few important exercises and filled up a 128 book (I have very large/messy writing tho) just for 3.5 chapter SAC, which I got 95% on, much higher than the average, but like don't stress too much, just do enough so that they seem repetitive and u r confident. Also ask questions!!!!!!! Teacher knows, teacher writes SAC, or maybe ask some people on here.
TLDR: Figure out ur style of study, do questions but don't drill urself to death and ask questions!

See my class is like that, there is only six of us this year and each of us is really struggling with keeping up with the amount of content we have to do. I know that our exam results will be compared to the entire state and the other schools nearby are not having the same amount of issues that we are having this year and are understanding the content really well. How would I be able to compete with the rest of the state?

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 05:36:42 pm »
My advice is keep sticking at it and use your Checkpoints. I cannot stress this enough. In the weekend before the exam, I crammed enough to boost me by I estimate 20%+ (it was probability!). I do not recommend that strategy, but if you use Checkpoints regularly and get your teacher to work with you (my teacher worked with me for half a day just on that topic) to help you to understand and figure it out, you should do a lot better. :)
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 09:40:52 pm »
I did methods last year, I dropped it due to finding it hard as well. My biggest advice is ask your teachers to spend some time with you outside of class and help you, alternatively you can always get a tutor if you find it really hard.