Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 03:43:58 am

Author Topic: Picking up chemistry  (Read 1358 times)  Share 

laraqueenxx

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Picking up chemistry
« on: December 21, 2020, 07:29:39 pm »
Hey,
I did chem unit 1 in year 11, but i ended up dropping it because I found that it was difficult and it was preventing me from doing my other subjects especially bio 3/4. Now I really want to study medicine, and I'm wondering whether doing chem would be a good decision. If you were in my position would do chemistry 3 and 4 ? I can still go through the bach of science pathway, but I'm still stuck on whether I should do chem and go through bach of biomedicine or not.
Is there a huge difference between doing bach of science or biomedicine?
If there is anyone studying or knows about the bach of science in melb uni, would really appreciate it if you could let me know how the course is !
Thankss xx

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ♡ 2 Timothy 1:7 ♡
  • Respect: +512
Re: Picking up chemistry
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 07:04:52 pm »
+7
Hi!

This is a really late reply so IDK I hope it's still relevant for you, but yes it is 100% possible to pick up 3/4 chem without having done it in year 11. I didn't do chem 1/2 at all, but at the end of the year realised chem was a prereq for the course I wanted to do, and swapped into it last-minute in year 12. It was definitely quite difficult at first to catch up, but I think it may be easier for you as you've actually done unit 1, so you'll be familiar with a lot of the vocab and jargon frequently seen in chemistry textbooks. Understanding and getting used to the chemistry jargon was by far the most difficult thing for me, jumping straight into 3/4 without 1/2, but it is doable!

I am currently doing Bachelor of Science, but my major is completely irrelevant to (human) medicine so I don't know how useful my insights would be. However, a lot of people I know studying Biomedicine (who aim to get into med) say that they would've chosen science instead if they could rewind the clock. Keep in mind that you do not need a pre-med degree in undergrad to get into MD. You could even do a Bachelor of Arts if you wanted to.

VCE: Literature [50] Methods [50] Further [48] Chemistry [40] Biology [33]
2022: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Economics) @ ANU