Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:50:27 am

Author Topic: Hiking/camping thread!  (Read 11064 times)  Share 

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
Hiking/camping thread!
« on: December 04, 2018, 08:29:51 pm »
+8
Why don't we have an atarnotes hiking group/thread already?
We do now ;D

Do you go hiking? Do you want to go hiking? Do you think that hiking sounds horrible? (spoiler: you're wrong)

Use this thread to discuss everything to do with hiking/camping ;D

I've only really been hiking a few times - all of them school camps, it's not something my family has ever done so sadly I haven't done it as much as I would like.

The first time I went hiking was February (I think?) last year on my first outdoor ed camp, we went down to Cape Otway and walked from Blanket bay to Johanna's beach alongside the great ocean road. Since then I've done a couple of one night trips (although I'm not sure they were long enough to really count) and I did a two week hike in Nepal in July.

I've actually recently bought myself a tent - It's not a great tent, it's a little on the heavy side but it was fairly cheap. It's a 3 person tent - partly because my brother said he might come camping with me sometimes, but also because the extra room is nice ;D I'll probably end up getting a 1 person tent at some point as well given it'll be lighter for when I don't need the bigger one. So hopefully now that I have a tent I'll actually be able to go camping occasionally - actually thinking about going down to Tasmania at some point over the holidays, but I don't know if it'll actually happen.

Where have you been hiking? Where do you want to go? Got any recommendations?

Can vouch for the views from Annapurna base camp if you ever get the chance to go over there!
proof

(I'm going to edit in a pretty photo of the annapurnas later as well but imgur is being very slow rn)

BTW this doesn't really fit in this section but it was the best I could think of, @mods if you've got a better idea feel free to move it :)
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

AlphaZero

• MOTM: DEC 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • \[\Gamma(z)\Gamma(1-z)=\frac{\pi}{\sin(\pi z)}\]
  • Respect: +160
Re: Hiking/camping thread!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 08:53:47 pm »
+9
Well, I was an army cadet for 4 years in my school unit (IGSCU), so I've been a part of many navigation exercises (a section member as a cadet, section leader as a Corporal and a Sergeant and have been fortunate enough to run a few navigation exercises as an officer).

When I was in the unit, we did our main exercises on annual camp at Chiltern-Mt Pilot National Park. Can confirm - it's a great place for orienteering if you're into that.

I made some great memories there... I still remember having to get to a checkpoint on a mountain we nicknamed "Fuck off hill" (Incline of \(>50^\circ\) for around 200 m) and I'm pretty sure the massive 2.5 m teepee we'd been building for the last I-don't-know-how-many-years is still there. Definitely would like to go back when I get a chance :)
2015\(-\)2017:  VCE
2018\(-\)2021:  Bachelor of Biomedicine and Mathematical Sciences Diploma, University of Melbourne

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 08:59:43 pm »
+8
I go hiking!  (ok, I haven't done any multiday hikes since uni started but I'll get there again :) )

I go camping with family, did scouts & venturer scouts and alpine school (residential leadership school for 9 weeks in year 9 - Dinner Plain campus) so I've got a fair bit of experience from those things.

I absolutely love the Otways/great ocean road, have been through Lerderderg a fair bit, and want to go back and visit Mt Hotham at some stage.

Strangely enough, despite my love of the great ocean road I've only walked along a little bit of the Great Ocean Walk (just as a day trip), although I have walked along the surf coast walk.

story
During the surf coast walk,  I distinctly the group having an argument near Anglesea trying to tell one person which way to go. This was only resolved when that person said "wait! stop talking! can you hear that? That's the ocean. We need to go that way." *points in direction the group had been telling them to go the whole time*. The same person also set the outside of a jetboil (that they were borrowing) on fire in the same day...

I have a 1 man hiking tent which I adore, and will get more use out of these holidays :)   ( I got this when I was 13 so weight was a very important consideration as I was positively tiny then - the first overnight hike I went on my hiking pack was bigger than me!)

Only place I've gone camping in Tassie is cradle mountain. It was very picturesque when the snow was on the tress :)

@PF 1 man hiking tents are lighter if you are the only one carrying it, but generally a 3 man tent split between 3 people results in them carrying less weight than a 1man tent each - so depends on how you plan on using it I guess :)

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 09:24:09 pm »
+6
I actually really like hiking, I just haven't got any gear. So uh all the hiking I've done is on school camps. It's super painful, but the memories are absolutely amazing! :D I will definitely try and go more after HSC finishes :D

The first time I tried we got rained out - we went to Mangrove Mountain and we had the fattest rainstorm come on us on the one night we had (it was meant to be 3 days 2 nights, but the wet weather the previous night washed out the track or something?). One group's tent got flooded, and that just about says it all, and it was super tiring because back then (2 years ago) I was a scrawny 45kg 5'4 kid, so I decided to be the guy that put dibs on carrying tent poles :)
The next time was about a month later, and we went on this hike through the Royal National Park. It was even more tiring because the route that we had to go on was even more hilly, and we packed everything for two days + camping equipment (unlike the previous time when they drove up our stuff to the campsite, so we only had to carry a day pack). We saw civilisation because the camping site was near Heathcote I think? so the hike wasn't all green :D Fondest memory was one person trying to cook instant noodles in a plastic bowl over a campfire, that was funny. It was pretty damp on the second day, but all I remember about the second day (I remember everything else, but this stands out so much) was the final climb to get to Waterfall. We basically went up a cliff, and we were climbing stairs for about 15 minutes on already tired legs because it was at the end of the hike. We were so dead by the time we got on the train, most of us collapsed. One guy fell asleep :o
The last time I went hiking was in a 5 day camp last year. We actually made some nice food - lemon and coconut balls, fried rice, 'deconstructed apple crumble', and on the last day we had these wraps which were amazing, and I forgot how to make them but they also happened to be vegetarian! Worst part was the tiring feeling at the end of each day, but we did get swims on the 2nd and 4th day. 4th day swim was really welcome, we had to take a longer alternative route because of fire danger (it was a 40 degree day) but it was a really good experience - after the first day all i wanted to do was leave, after the 5th all i wanted to do was stay :)

Maybe we can have an AN hike :o?
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 09:54:53 pm »
+7
I've been camping a few times with mates the past few years. Perhaps my most memorable one was my first trip without any adult supervision. This was 2014 iirc, so we were all about 16 -- all six of us. We spent four days/three nights in Wombat State Forest. We would wake up early, eat, and then set out for the entire day hiking. At one point we spent hours following the river downhill untold  we ended up at the base of a cliff. The river flowed into this giant crevice in the cliff. Being dumbass younglings we started building a raft to enter, but sadly (or perhaps fortunately) it got too dark so we had to head home.

Reckon dinner cooked on a nice smelling fire is always the best way to end a hike

the first overnight hike I went on my hiking pack was bigger than me!)

nice turtle shell
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 10:06:23 pm »
+5
I've been camping a few times with mates the past few years. Perhaps my most memorable one was my first trip without any adult supervision. This was 2014 iirc, so we were all about 16 -- all six of us. We spent four days/three nights in Wombat State Forest. We would wake up early, eat, and then set out for the entire day hiking. At one point we spent hours following the river downhill untold  we ended up at the base of a cliff. The river flowed into this giant crevice in the cliff. Being dumbass younglings we started building a raft to enter, but sadly (or perhaps fortunately) it got too dark so we had to head home.

Reckon dinner cooked on a nice smelling fire is always the best way to end a hike

nice turtle shell

I've visited the tunnel (doing the 3 km  O'briens crossing walk l(link to map) but when I last saw it, it was all blocked up with fallen trees etc :(

Admittedly, that was some years ago so hopefully it's all good now :)  - Let me know if you visit again how it is!

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 10:29:09 pm »
+1
I used to bow-hunt in Wombat... does that count as hiking? :-\
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 11:19:42 pm »
+7
I have had very little hiking experience, yet have loved it and would love to do more.
As part of the Duke of Edinburgh award, I did a 2-night hike with a small school group on the bogon high plains. We were mostly inexperienced - save for a couple scouts - and really didn't know what we were in for. We were driven up to some random spot on the plains and walked along pretty flat land. It was windy and cold, and although it was December, there was still snow patches.
It seems most were a bit ambitious in their packing and slowly, bit by bit, the redistribution of goods landed me and my friend substantially heavier packs than others (this was not fun).
After the first day of walking (I can't remember how long) we set up shop and what not (I was camping with my friend in what they claim to be a 3 person tent, but to this day I figure they confused people for Oompa Loompas). Dinner was some sort of dehydrated pasta, but desert was would have been marshmallows on the fire had someone not decided to lose them somehow.
Day 2 and night 2 was much the same in all regards. I did see some pretty birds, but alas the pictures are lost in the trash piles which are my filing system.

When I recount it seemed quite boring and wasn't really the challenging terrain that some have described, but (as cliche as it sounds) something about just being away from everything is quite a good feeling. That being said, I would love to try a more difficult hiking/camping trip in the future.
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 11:31:32 pm »
+3
@all, I want to emphasise that this is a hiking/camping thread, not a hiking/camping experts only thread :)

It's great to hear from some of you who are have only explored their interest in this a little bit, and whether or not you insert your pegs at a 45 degree angle, you and your experiences are welcome here.

@Erutepa in that weather being squished together may have been a disguised blessing! Sounds like a bit of a harsh experience to have had for your first time so I'm glad it hasn't scared you away :) Did you get to visit any of the alpine huts? Did you trudge through sphagnum moss (spongy, holds the snowmelt)? 

@S200 Your experiences probably have some overlap - I do imagine you did some walking while hunting at least

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 11:39:46 pm »
+2
It's great to hear from some of you who are have only explored their interest in this a little bit, and whether or not you insert your pegs at a 45 degree angle, you and your experiences are welcome here.
Wait. What angle am I supposed to be putting my pegs in at?? I just kinda shove them in and hope they don't bend

It seems most were a bit ambitious in their packing and slowly, bit by bit, the redistribution of goods landed me and my friend substantially heavier packs than others (this was not fun).
On my first outdoor ed camp someone ended up carrying 2 bags :o 'twas entertaining at least
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 11:41:46 pm »
+2

whether or not you insert your pegs at a 45 degree angle
I actually prefer a 52 degree angle. clearly superior in all ways really.
@Erutepa in that weather being squished together may have been a disguised blessing! Sounds like a bit of a harsh experience to have had for your first time so I'm glad it hasn't scared you away :) Did you get to visit any of the alpine huts? Did you trudge through sphagnum moss (spongy, holds the snowmelt)? 
We actually decided a fair bit from the highest points of the plains to set up camp, so it wasn't too cold. My friend also loves thermal wear and brought enough to survive the artic, so he leant me enough to keep me toasty.
We went to one hut on this hiking trip, but I forget which one it was. Incidentally, I also go up to falls creek over new years and early January with my running group to do an intensive 'running holiday'. Many of the runs we do involve running to some hut, signing our name and running back. My memory fails me again, but I remember Fitzy's and Wallaces huts as two that I have visited.
I do remember this sphagnum moss (although I didn't know the correct name for it until just now). It certainly didn't make the walking easier, but I will think it a good trade for not having to actually walk up to any serious gradients.

Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2018, 11:42:44 pm »
+1
@S200 Your experiences probably have some overlap - I do imagine you did some walking while hunting at least
About 10km. But it was mainly round in circles, no trails...
A good spot is a good spot, after all... ;)

Serious question... are pegs supposed to be at 45? Surely 30 would be optimal... :P

oops. ppl beat me... :(
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2018, 12:00:38 am »
+4
Wait. What angle am I supposed to be putting my pegs in at?? I just kinda shove them in and hope they don't bend
On my first outdoor ed camp someone ended up carrying 2 bags :o 'twas entertaining at least

45 degrees - same as guy ropes, which might help you remember :)

:o that's rough

I actually prefer a 52 degree angle. clearly superior in all ways really.

what blasphemy is this?! ??

I'm glad that at least the people picking the campsites did so strategically and that you didn't freeze :). I think I signed Wallace Hut's book back in 2014 but idk actually.  Hope that you have a good trip!
Yep.  For sure, I'd rather pick the moss (even including leeches) over steep ascents too

About 10km. But it was mainly round in circles, no trails...
A good spot is a good spot, after all... ;)

Serious question... are pegs supposed to be at 45? Surely 30 would be optimal... :P

oops. ppl beat me... :(
I've always been taught 45 for stability - did not expect this level of controversy at all

Edit: google backs me up on 45 degrees being ideal
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 12:03:53 am by miniturtle »

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2018, 12:11:51 am »
+8
I haven't been camping since year 8! Did a one night campout in year 11 as a peer support leader on year 7 camp but that doesn't really count. My boyfriend is really into camping though, so I assume we'll go somewhere over the summer :)

My year 8 camp was around Lake Eildon - lovely place to hike and camp, but lordy some of the hills and valleys absolutely killed me!

Went for a bit of a beach hike near Cape Conran a few weeks ago - also very nice, would love to spend longer there next time.

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2018, 12:38:09 am »
+5
I've visited the tunnel (doing the 3 km  O'briens crossing walk l(link to map) but when I last saw it, it was all blocked up with fallen trees etc :(

Admittedly, that was some years ago so hopefully it's all good now :)  - Let me know if you visit again how it is!

Will definitely do so! I might be going back in December doing on my group's work schedue and whatnot. That or near Yarrawonga

Ended up finding a photo of the crevice
Spoiler
I could've sworn it was twice the size haha
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢