Uni Stuff > General University Discussion and Queries

Science at monash

(1/1)

newbie16:
Hey guys anyone doing science at monash?can u give me an insight to what its like?the subjects and everything.any comment appreciated!

VanillaRice:
Hi! I'm a first year science (double degree) student (just transferred in this semester).
There's a lot of breadth in terms of what types of units (subjects) you can pick (as you can imagine, the term 'science' is very broad :P), so it really depends on what areas you are interested in/enjoy :)

As part of the degree, you are required to 'sample' first year units from at least 2 different areas of study (for example, biology, chemistry, maths), and also have to do at least 1 maths unit (if you haven't done already this as part of the other units). From there, you'll have the opportunity to select from a wide range of majors (you must do at least 1 major) - click here and scroll down to where it says 'Science listed majors' to see what kinds of majors there are.

If you do a single degree, you'll also be able to pick non-science elective units (e.g. from commerce, arts, etc.), or if you do a double degree, your electives will be filled up with units from the other degree.

Again, science at Monash is quite broad, so it really depends on what you're interested in. :)

If you have any other questions please ask! :)

newbie16:
Thanks! When u transferred did u get a credit transfer for the double degree? Im just wondering whether its bettwer to do double or just science ?since im only interested in the biological sciences :)

VanillaRice:

--- Quote from: newbie16 on September 23, 2017, 10:59:37 am ---Thanks! When u transferred did u get a credit transfer for the double degree? Im just wondering whether its bettwer to do double or just science ?since im only interested in the biological sciences :)

--- End quote ---
Yeah, I transferred from Commerce/Biomed, so I managed to get credit for all the biomed units, plus one commerce unit (it was a statistics unit).

I probably couldn't say whether it's 'better' to do a double degree versus a single degree. It really would depend on whether you want to get a degree in a different field :)

There's quite a few majors which relate to biological sciences, so I think that you should be able to find something that interests you in this particular course :) You get encouraged to try a few different units in different subject areas, so that you have more opportunity to select a major, or move between majors when you get to second and third year level. I find that the first year biology/chemistry units are quite broad, and expose you to quite a few different areas within that discipline.

AngelWings:

--- Quote from: newbie16 on September 23, 2017, 10:59:37 am ---Thanks! When u transferred did u get a credit transfer for the double degree? Im just wondering whether its bettwer to do double or just science ?since im only interested in the biological sciences :)

--- End quote ---

Hey, Newbie16!

This is the faculty I'm under, studying a genetics major with a single Bachelor of Science. The School of Biological Sciences at Monash covers: genetics, ecology/ conservation biology, plant biology, zoology and marine biology. I've got friends in double degrees and single degrees under the biological sciences. If that's not what you're looking for and you're after: immunology, physiology, pharmacology, developmental biology, microbiology, pathology or biochemistry, then you're actually looking for a Bachelor of Science under other departments. Either way, I have friends in most of these areas and can definitely give you some insight for what you're after.

I think because you said
--- Quote from: newbie16 on September 23, 2017, 10:59:37 am ---since im only interested in the biological sciences :)
--- End quote ---
... that maybe the single degree is a better choice for you.

If you're into genetics or molecular biology, or even any of the other ones I mentioned above, I'm more than happy to help! PM me if you need some of the finer details for your situation e.g. pre-requisites that you've already fulfilled and so forth. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version