Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:23:50 pm

Author Topic: How to Write a Module B Essay  (Read 81403 times)

vyca

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: How to Write a Module B Essay
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2016, 09:14:37 pm »
Hi, for our body paragraphs should we be analysing like 2/3 quotes in depth or loading it up with a lot of textual evidence?

Emerald99

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2016, 09:24:21 pm »
My teacher says use 3 techniques+ good analysis or if its weak analysis maybe make it 4 techniques, but you shouldn't have too much textual evidence because then the paragraph becomes too long and you might lose marks if you have really long paragraphs

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2016, 11:07:01 pm »
Hi, for our body paragraphs should we be analysing like 2/3 quotes in depth or loading it up with a lot of textual evidence?

It depends! So you could have three pieces of textual evidence, and be looking at two techniques in each one and really threading out the analysis. If you only have 3 pieces of textual evidence, with only one sentence of analysis connected, then I'd be assuming your paragraphs are filled with unnecessary things. With Mod B, everything relates back to the text! In Discovery, everything relates back to discovery! But definitely for Module B, I'd be giving in depth analysis however I can, whether that's analysing and comparing several quotes, or going into a few in detail :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

marynguyen18

• Trendsetter
  • School: Cerdon College
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2016, 01:38:40 pm »
how do you incorporate the personal element into a Mod B essay without using personal pronouns?

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2016, 03:57:15 pm »
how do you incorporate the personal element into a Mod B essay without using personal pronouns?

Just through things like for eg Cloudstreet "Quick sees a great deal of trauma during this twenty year saga, and this changes his views on his religion and career. This effectively shows the enduring nature of Cloudstreet

Its basically an evaluate, and then some. Notice how I have not used any personal pronouns but still got opinions through? Kind of like being subjective and analytical at the same time.

Let me know if this doesnt make sense?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 08:30:03 pm by studybuddy7777 »

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2016, 08:02:16 pm »

I said things like, "A contemporary student of Yeats' work may receive the representation of emotion in a light..." Or, "A modern audience of the oeuvre..." :)

bholenath125

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Girraween High School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2016, 05:17:26 pm »
For my mod B we are doing TS Elliot however most of the entries here are hamlet related. could i still post T.S. Elliot related questions?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2016, 05:41:45 pm »

For my mod B we are doing TS Elliot however most of the entries here are hamlet related. could i still post T.S. Elliot related questions?

Definitely!! Don't worry, I didn't do Hamlet either, screw conformity ;)

Neilab

• Forum Regular
  • School: Riverside Girls High School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2017, 03:32:33 pm »
In year 11 we were told to AVOID critics at all costs? Is this true?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2017, 03:48:58 pm »
In year 11 we were told to AVOID critics at all costs? Is this true?

Nope, definitely untrue! Emily (who ran the English lectures just gone, did you go??  8)) used critics/scholars in her Module B essays and got a perfect score in Advanced ;D I personally never used them, so like, its not mandatory. But definitely don't avoid them if you want to use them! ;D

bsdfjnlkasn

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2017, 07:34:19 pm »
Nope, definitely untrue! Emily (who ran the English lectures just gone, did you go??  8)) used critics/scholars in her Module B essays and got a perfect score in Advanced ;D I personally never used them, so like, its not mandatory. But definitely don't avoid them if you want to use them! ;D

Sorry unrelated (sort of) - I wasn't able to attend the English lecture :( so I was wondering if there was any way to get filled in on what was discussed? Also, will Emily be helping out on the marking forums?  :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2017, 07:54:10 pm »
Sorry unrelated (sort of) - I wasn't able to attend the English lecture :( so I was wondering if there was any way to get filled in on what was discussed? Also, will Emily be helping out on the marking forums?  :)

The slides will be uploaded to the site some time next week - It won't be absolutely everything that Emily talked about, but it should fill you in on the basics and hopefully be helpful in that regard! :)

The core marking team for English will remain Elyse and myself at this stage  8)

lauraodonohoe

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2017, 10:18:53 pm »
Hi!  :)

For my Module B assessment task I have been asked to record my own personal interpretation/reading of a poem from Yeats' oeuvre.
I have chosen 'An Irish Airman Foresees his Death'.

Do you have any tips on how I can 'skilfully inform' my perspective and understanding audibly?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2017, 10:23:03 pm »
Hi!  :)

For my Module B assessment task I have been asked to record my own personal interpretation/reading of a poem from Yeats' oeuvre.
I have chosen 'An Irish Airman Foresees his Death'.

Do you have any tips on how I can 'skilfully inform' my perspective and understanding audibly?

Hey there! I studied W B Yeats and really enjoyed it. I've posted my study notes for Yeats and his poems here for free download :)

Read as widely as you can about the poem, including the context of Yeats in relation to Lady Gregory, his anti-war personal feelings, and the literary period he was in. My notes will start you off on this.

For me, a beautiful aspect of the poem is tension and balance (actually, his entire oeuvre pretty well. But, this poem particularly. I always talked about balance and tension for Yeats). The rhyming scheme reflects this balance as he eloquently balances the request of Lady Gregory and her mourning, but also his duty to be truthful in his sentiments (about war) in his poetry. The content of the poem, as well as the form, reflects this tension between his purpose and his content.

What do you think of the poem? If you want to chat about the poem, I'll happily explore it with you :)

strawberriesarekewl

• Trailblazer
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2017, 09:43:26 am »
How do I draw links and connections if I am doing Yeats poems?