Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 11:25:50 pm

Author Topic: How to Write a Module B Essay  (Read 81594 times)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: How to Write a Module B Essay
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2017, 12:43:50 am »
+1

Most likely I will write an "art" paragraph as my word count so far in just on the brink of 800 words so I think I can fit a small one in.
So what sorts of ideas would you talk about in this paragraph relating to 'Easter 1916' and 'Among School Children'?
My thought is to say that Yeats uses the Easter 1916 poem as a "song" to memorialize the martyrs and people who suffered in the fight. And for Among School Children, I will say how he tries to find the answer to the meaning of life in the final lines of the poem.

Do you think these are suitable?

I think this is definitely suitable... Here's what else I think about Easter 1916's structure:
Yeats iambic tetrameter and iambic trimeter. He varies them perhaps to convey the insignificance of (political conformity) and the changes that had taken place/were developing in Ireland.
Through a consistency in form, Yeats maintains a sense of unity; yet allows variation in the structure to emphasise particular elements of the poem to convey Ireland’s coming of age through the search for change and identity.
But also, the central paradox of a Terrible Beauty is Born - I'd put that in an art paragraph too. It is a repeated refrain and central to the complex paradox of the content.

For Among School Children,I think rhyming structure is important to discuss as well. I believe the purpose of the art paragraph is to talk about how the poetic form has been manipulated, and the general shape of the poem is very distinct, especially being divided into sections with roman numerals.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

bholenath125

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Girraween High School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2017, 12:33:12 am »
What kind of context should i be looking at for T.S. Elliot

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2017, 03:02:29 am »
What kind of context should i be looking at for T.S. Elliot

Become familiar with the modernist poetic movement, this will be important for understanding the poetry's form. Also research the poet's personal context, there's some turmoil there that certainly shapes his poetry! Start with Wikipedia, then dig deeper once you've got the outline. :)

Mary_a

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2017, 10:27:18 am »
Hey, Thanks for this it was really helpful!

I was just wondering, for Mod B we are studying a suite of poems (T.S Eliot), do we have to analyse all the poems or just select a few? What do you recommend in analysing a suite of poetry and its conclusion into an essay.

Thanks so much,

Mary x
Hey!
I did the HSC last year (2017) and my 10 units were English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Legal Studies, Maths and Studies of Religion 2. I achieved my ATAR aim of over 90!

I loved tutoring and running essay writing workshops (privately and at InFlow Education) so much that I decided to study a Bachelor of Secondary Education, majoring in English and minoring in Maths!

If you're thinking about tutoring, let me know x

kiiaaa

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2017, 01:53:32 pm »
Hey, I think Among School Children is really tricky, it was the poem that spoke to me least as a reader but it's also just long, and tricky to approach. Have a look at my own notes on this poem, there's two critics mentioned at the top of the notes as well so you might be able to find some of their works online. You can download my notes here. I find that when I'm trying to find scholarly articles, I type the topic, Yeats, and then "scholar" or "University" or "academic" into Google next to each other. But for something like Among School Children, you could look beyond Yeats' scholars and into scholars of ageing. If you're into that idea, I suggest starting with Stanford Bennett: Old Age Its Cause and Prevention (1912). It presents complicated ideas and this is a trickier road to go down, but it could definitely elevate your work :)

For the record, I certainly didn't study Bennett in High School. So, you don't need it to do well, but using it well will surely give you great marks. I briefly studied Bennett in a Uni literature class. :)

hi elysepopplewell!
i looked at you notes for yeats and im mindbown! they are amazing and thorough and wow. i salute your effort. Thank you for always helping us out really appreciated

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2017, 09:52:28 pm »
Hey, Thanks for this it was really helpful!

I was just wondering, for Mod B we are studying a suite of poems (T.S Eliot), do we have to analyse all the poems or just select a few? What do you recommend in analysing a suite of poetry and its conclusion into an essay.

Thanks so much,

Mary x

Hey Mary :)

So, analyse them all in your study, but in an exam you'd only need to select two or three to discuss (you could do more!). In Module B, they could specify exactly which poem they want you to use, so that's why you need to make sure you know them all in your study, even though you'll just select the ones you think suit the question best in the exam :)

hi elysepopplewell!
i looked at you notes for yeats and im mindbown! they are amazing and thorough and wow. i salute your effort. Thank you for always helping us out really appreciated

I'm pleased they're helpful for you! I really loved studying Yeats. I'm going to Ireland this weekend and 98% of the appeal is knowing that I'll be in the land of Yeats and Heaney's poetry. Fun times!

I'm a bit rusty on Yeats off the top of my head, but if you need any help, I really like discussing Yeats so I'm happy to talk anything out! :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 09:54:16 pm by elysepopplewell »

chloeannbarwick

• Forum Regular
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2017, 02:04:12 pm »
+1
Some awesome advice here!
Get it done now, and you'll have less to do later

bsdfjnlkasn

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2017, 02:57:09 pm »
Hey there,

I have just read An Artist of the Floating World (Kazoo Ishiguro) as it's one of our prescribed texts for After the Bomb and I'm a little bit lost as to where to start analysing. I've thought about the structure (3 consecutive diary entries i.e. unreliable narrator) but I'm really not sure how we could apply that to the rubric. If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it because I'd like to include the text in my analysis because the more I have the better. Also any resources that could help would be awesome because I'm under the impression that not many schools pick this as one of the prescribed texts making my google search pretty unhelpful haha

Thanks again  :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2017, 10:45:43 pm »
Hey there,

I have just read An Artist of the Floating World (Kazoo Ishiguro) as it's one of our prescribed texts for After the Bomb and I'm a little bit lost as to where to start analysing. I've thought about the structure (3 consecutive diary entries i.e. unreliable narrator) but I'm really not sure how we could apply that to the rubric. If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it because I'd like to include the text in my analysis because the more I have the better. Also any resources that could help would be awesome because I'm under the impression that not many schools pick this as one of the prescribed texts making my google search pretty unhelpful haha

Thanks again  :)

Hey! I just want to be clear - is this a question for Advanced English Module B, or for After the Bomb in Extension One English?
Let me know and I'll try help accordingly!

AnatolyDeop

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2017, 09:02:10 pm »
Hey, I'm just wondering if anyone has done In the Skin of a Lion as their Mod B, how would you create a thesis around this:

Through its portrayal of human experience, Ondaatje's In the Skin of a Lion emphasises the relevance of memory
To what extent does your interpretation of In the Skin of a Lion support this view?

Faith_7

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2017, 09:43:14 pm »
I'm quite confused on how to structure these essays. Whenever I do not follow up a quote with an effect and direct link to my topic sentence, I get penalised for it. But upon examining multiple exemplar essays I see that many of them don't link to the question/topic sentence and move on to the next quote. For example:

By employing alliteration when Hamlet states “What’s Hecuba to him, or he to Hecuba?” Shakespeare achieves fluidity of Hamlet’s dialogue with a sonorous quality that, in the manner of a player, effectively cleaves “the general ear”. Nevertheless, unable to act upon his filial duty, Hamlet is appalled that a player, “But in a fiction, in a dream of passion” can “force his soul” so that “his whole function” is committed to his role, “And all for nothing”. In this way, Shakespeare’s responder is captivated by Hamlet’s inability to actualise his ‘duty’ to avenge.

Would be great if someone cleared this up for me, thank you!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2017, 10:58:29 pm »
Hey, I'm just wondering if anyone has done In the Skin of a Lion as their Mod B, how would you create a thesis around this:

Through its portrayal of human experience, Ondaatje's In the Skin of a Lion emphasises the relevance of memory
To what extent does your interpretation of In the Skin of a Lion support this view?

Welcome to the forums!! ;D I can't answer your question, really hope someone can, but do let us know if you need help finding anything around the site! ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2017, 11:38:55 pm »
I'm quite confused on how to structure these essays. Whenever I do not follow up a quote with an effect and direct link to my topic sentence, I get penalised for it. But upon examining multiple exemplar essays I see that many of them don't link to the question/topic sentence and move on to the next quote. For example:

By employing alliteration when Hamlet states “What’s Hecuba to him, or he to Hecuba?” Shakespeare achieves fluidity of Hamlet’s dialogue with a sonorous quality that, in the manner of a player, effectively cleaves “the general ear”. Nevertheless, unable to act upon his filial duty, Hamlet is appalled that a player, “But in a fiction, in a dream of passion” can “force his soul” so that “his whole function” is committed to his role, “And all for nothing”. In this way, Shakespeare’s responder is captivated by Hamlet’s inability to actualise his ‘duty’ to avenge.

Would be great if someone cleared this up for me, thank you!

Hey Faith! So I look at this two ways. First, there are many ways to get to your destination. Different writing styles, different questions, different texts - A whole bunch of factors influence how best to get the 18s, 19s and 20s. And second, I don't believe in a perfect essay. So while there are responses that do a whole lot right, no one could write one that is perfect in every single way. And indeed, the markers don't expect that either ;D

So with that in mind - I think you are right, I think it approaches the analysis in a little too much of a plot-focused way (at least for my taste), and yeah, could definitely link back to the concept in a more obvious way. Note that the link to concept is there, the discussion of duty is prominent in that last sentence, and in the conclusion too. The particular excerpt you provided also does a really nice job of linking to audience and using the quotes to further the argument.

So you are totally right! Excerpt not perfect, and it's good that you pick that up. With regard to linking back to topic sentence, I think the easiest way to guarantee that you hit the mark every time is to have a direct, deliberate connection back to that topic sentence. That way, even for yourself, you check it off the list. However, more subtle links threaded through the argument can work just as well, and that's what this one does - Again, more than one way to success ;D in any case, you definitely don't need the topic sentence link absolutely every time, sometimes the quote/analysis is in support of an earlier concept. Sometimes it is establishing or comparing a compositional pattern or something, who knows! Unlimited possibilities - I'm really against applying templates to good essays, because there really is so many ways to do it :) :) :)

olr1999

• Trailblazer
  • School: Trinity Anglican College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2017, 01:54:50 pm »
Hey!
I'm really struggling to write a thesis statement for an essay on Yeats poetry.
The question centres around intense human emotions (including ideas about age, beauty and youth) in WSAC and WYAO and how these captivate readers.
Would reeeeeeaaaallllllllyyyyyy appreciate some advice on this! Thanks!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2017, 07:01:01 pm »
Hey!
I'm really struggling to write a thesis statement for an essay on Yeats poetry.
The question centres around intense human emotions (including ideas about age, beauty and youth) in WSAC and WYAO and how these captivate readers.
Would reeeeeeaaaallllllllyyyyyy appreciate some advice on this! Thanks!

Hey! I did this exact question for an assignment and used this exact texts. You can download my essay in two parts, one in the When You Are Old Notes, and the other half in the Wild Swans at Coole part. Downloadable for free here. You'll find my response in there which might guide you.

So, I used the intense emotional experience of yearning. And then I divided it into different types of yearning, and how this ultimately resulted in melancholy. Have a read through my notes and then let me know if you want more help :)