Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 05:08:49 pm

Author Topic: Ideas to Implementation Question Re dotpoint 2.11  (Read 1156 times)  Share 

banway

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
Ideas to Implementation Question Re dotpoint 2.11
« on: August 08, 2017, 09:21:36 pm »
So I'm stuck on answering this question which literally is asking the out and out dotpoint but wants 6 marks for it

The question is

"Discuss Einstein and Planck's differing views about whether scientific research is removed from social and political forces"

What would a good answer look like?

Please and thank you!
Hopefully this is in the right spot
Literally Fumbling my way through this entire year, but oh well, whats the fun in having everything laid out for you?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Ideas to Implementation Question Re dotpoint 2.11
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 11:26:56 pm »
+1
Hey! Definitely the right spot ;D

6 marks for this is brutal. Some things to include:

- Give a context (modern physics developed during the World Wars, scientific funding often came directly/indirectly for/from weapons development)
- Introduce the opposing views (Einstein believed science should be distinct from politics, Planck believed it should work within the political realm to serve the country)
- Give evidence (Einstein once said "Nationalism is the measles of mankind," while Planck contributed readily to the German atomic efforts)
- Give conclusion (ironically, Einstein ended up contributing hugely to the development of the Atomic Bomb for Project Manhattan - They both ended up in the same place)

These would be the key points I'd be aiming for ;D

pikachu975

• Forum Obsessive
  • Stars and Bars
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 12:20:51 am »
+1
- Einstein was a pacifist and believes science should be separate from social and political
- He didn't sign a German agreement for war so he fled the country as he was a Jew
- He realised he could have helped the Germans but he called Roosevelt and started the Manhattan project ro develop atomic bomb
- Regretted it because it killed thousands in Nagasaki and Hiroshima

- Planck was a nationalist and believed science should drive social and political stuff
- Signed the agreement Einstein declined - "Manifestos of the 93 German intellectuals to the civilised world"
- Went against Nazi Germany due to anti-semitism and the fact his brother was killed due to plotting to kill Hitler

Might've forgotten something but this is what I remember from Sherman's notes

Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.
Send me a message if interested!

2016 HSC (Accelerated):
// 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //

2017 HSC:
// English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //

Goal: 99.9

banway

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 04:46:30 pm »
+1
Thanks a bunch!
Literally Fumbling my way through this entire year, but oh well, whats the fun in having everything laid out for you?