Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:58:03 am

Author Topic: English Extension 1 Question Thread  (Read 150215 times)  Share 

katede21822

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: English Extension 1 Question Thread
« Reply #390 on: August 11, 2019, 05:43:42 pm »
+2
As a rough guide, how long should you be writing in the 1 hour time frame for an essay?

My teacher says around 2000 words, but idk if I can write that much  :0

My teacher said the minimum should 1500 words in 1 hour... If you think about it, that's quite achievable as it equates to only 25 words per minute...

Hrxthix

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #391 on: August 12, 2019, 09:50:59 pm »
Hey

For my Worlds of Upheaval Essay, we were told to have an underlying argument like a 'thread' throughout all of the texts we discuss such as human agency or something like that but i really have no idea how to approach this since - does anyone understand this?

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #392 on: August 13, 2019, 07:47:37 pm »
+4
Hey

For my Worlds of Upheaval Essay, we were told to have an underlying argument like a 'thread' throughout all of the texts we discuss such as human agency or something like that but i really have no idea how to approach this since - does anyone understand this?

Hey, Hrxthix!

Your underlying argument would essentially be your judgement on what the shared purpose of the composers are in relation to Worlds of Upheaval. You would frame this by illustrating in your essay what the composer has aimed to do and how this impacts audience reception to the texts. This can be acknowledged and integrated throughout your response, including your analysis, and synthesised at the end of your bodies to really create that "thread" to (pun intended) weave the texts together. This is an example of how you would show it.

Sample Synthesis
Plath’s view on death is one of fear and concern towards what purpose can be derived in a world void of it; Shinoda’s Muraki embraces it for purpose. Regardless, both composers have urged responders to critically doubt the notion of purpose as sustainable in a passing, atomic age existence.

You may have a full read of the essay here! Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!

Angelina  ;D

-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

Hrxthix

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #393 on: August 14, 2019, 09:34:57 pm »
+1
Thank you!

Will defs have a look at the sample response soon

spnmox

• Trendsetter
« Reply #394 on: September 17, 2019, 11:59:04 am »
Hi everyone,

Just wondering how to structure an essay on textual manifestations with three texts? Apparently we are meant to have three paragraphs covering one text at a time, but I'm not sure how many themes/where to put them.

Thanks!

meerae

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Trendsetter
  • wack.
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #395 on: September 20, 2019, 10:34:51 pm »
How is everyone structuring the section 2 critical?
Are you integrating paragraphs or doing them textually?

I did them textually in my trial because my teacher hates integrated paragraphs, but I am told that markers expect integrated paragraphs because they're more sophisticated. What is everyone else doing?

thanks
meerae :)
2018 hsc; mathematics
2019 hsc; english adv english ext 1&2 math ext 1 legal studies economics

HSC w/ a stresshead {class of'19}

hemlock

• Adventurer
« Reply #396 on: September 22, 2019, 12:36:47 pm »
+2
How is everyone structuring the section 2 critical?
Are you integrating paragraphs or doing them textually?

I did them textually in my trial because my teacher hates integrated paragraphs, but I am told that markers expect integrated paragraphs because they're more sophisticated. What is everyone else doing?

thanks

I think for Extension you should definitely be looking to write integrated paragraphs. For my trials, I did a mix: 

P1 - Prescribed #1
P2 - Prescribed #2 & Prescribed #1
P3 - Related
P4 - Prescribed #2 & Related & a bit of Prescribed #1 to tie it together

That being said, if you go on the ARC website for Extension 1 and look at some exemplar responses, there are definitely some top-performing essays that have textually-specific paragraphs, but that was generally in the early years of the old syllabus so the expectations may have changed now. Might need Angelina to confirm!

I think I did well for trials, but my feedback was that I should strengthen my related text analysis and plan some of the content I cover more closely (had a bit too much analysis for Heaney because he has three poems :-\). Also, I need to actually flesh out my second related which I have probably not prepared adequately for lol (wasn't asked in trials).

How are you going with Literary Worlds by the way? Are you preparing any imaginative(s) that you'll memorise? Starting today, I planned on doing 1.5/2 hours of creative writing a day in the lead-up to the HSC as prerparation for both Literary Worlds and Mod C for Advanced as I'm probably stronger at critical writing, but I'm not really sure if I'm meant to do more than that? Also, if you don't mind me asking what is your elective + texts?

Good luck!
hemlock :D

meerae

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Trendsetter
  • wack.
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #397 on: September 23, 2019, 01:21:42 pm »
I think for Extension you should definitely be looking to write integrated paragraphs. For my trials, I did a mix: 

P1 - Prescribed #1
P2 - Prescribed #2 & Prescribed #1
P3 - Related
P4 - Prescribed #2 & Related & a bit of Prescribed #1 to tie it together

That being said, if you go on the ARC website for Extension 1 and look at some exemplar responses, there are definitely some top-performing essays that have textually-specific paragraphs, but that was generally in the early years of the old syllabus so the expectations may have changed now. Might need Angelina to confirm!

I think I did well for trials, but my feedback was that I should strengthen my related text analysis and plan some of the content I cover more closely (had a bit too much analysis for Heaney because he has three poems :-\). Also, I need to actually flesh out my second related which I have probably not prepared adequately for lol (wasn't asked in trials).

How are you going with Literary Worlds by the way? Are you preparing any imaginative(s) that you'll memorise? Starting today, I planned on doing 1.5/2 hours of creative writing a day in the lead-up to the HSC as prerparation for both Literary Worlds and Mod C for Advanced as I'm probably stronger at critical writing, but I'm not really sure if I'm meant to do more than that? Also, if you don't mind me asking what is your elective + texts?

Good luck!
hemlock :D

We're doing Literary Mindscapes and our texts are Emily Dickinson poetry, Hamlet and As I Lay Dying. Although, I refuse to touch the poetry.
My head teacher recommended doing;
P1: Prescribed #1 + Prescribed #2
P2: Prescribed #1 + Related #1
P3: Prescribed #2 + Related #2

Which seems like it'd work well, especially for ext but my ext teacher hates integrated paragraphs (and we have been marked down for using them), so I did it textually in my trials and somehow got 25, so now I don't know if I should remain textually or switch to integrated.

We were also not asked for a second related in trials, which was great because I got to write loads on my prescribed texts.

Unfortunately, Literary Worlds was somehow my weakest. I lost 4 marks for not actually quoting my creative in my reflection and that bought me down like crazy, and it was such a horrible place to lose marks.
I don't plan on having imaginatives memorised, for adv or ext, but I do have some plot structures that I can bring in to make work with whatever excerpt they decide to torture us with.
For Mod C, I am more of a discursive writer and don't know what I'd do if they don't give the option...

But 1.5-2 hours a day for creative writing is loadss, don't stress!

2018 hsc; mathematics
2019 hsc; english adv english ext 1&2 math ext 1 legal studies economics

HSC w/ a stresshead {class of'19}

emilyyyyyyy

• Forum Regular
« Reply #398 on: September 28, 2019, 04:53:35 pm »
+1
We're doing Literary Mindscapes and our texts are Emily Dickinson poetry, Hamlet and As I Lay Dying. Although, I refuse to touch the poetry.
My head teacher recommended doing;
P1: Prescribed #1 + Prescribed #2
P2: Prescribed #1 + Related #1
P3: Prescribed #2 + Related #2

Which seems like it'd work well, especially for ext but my ext teacher hates integrated paragraphs (and we have been marked down for using them), so I did it textually in my trials and somehow got 25, so now I don't know if I should remain textually or switch to integrated.

We were also not asked for a second related in trials, which was great because I got to write loads on my prescribed texts.

Unfortunately, Literary Worlds was somehow my weakest. I lost 4 marks for not actually quoting my creative in my reflection and that bought me down like crazy, and it was such a horrible place to lose marks.
I don't plan on having imaginatives memorised, for adv or ext, but I do have some plot structures that I can bring in to make work with whatever excerpt they decide to torture us with.
For Mod C, I am more of a discursive writer and don't know what I'd do if they don't give the option...

But 1.5-2 hours a day for creative writing is loadss, don't stress!

Hi! My extension teacher has marked the hsc for years and is a senior marker + judge, and she told us to write each para based on one text. So for example mine would be like:
Para 1: Frankenstein
Para 2: related to Frank
Para 3: Waiting for Godot
Para 4: related to Godot

She also said we don't actually need to link our related to our prescribed (so in para 2 i don't really need to talk about Frank), but she said if there are some clear links, then it'd be good to make them :)
But overall, I don't think it matters, as long as your arguments are good!

Cali.doyle

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #399 on: October 13, 2019, 05:00:50 pm »
Hey,
In prep for HSC, does anyone have any, or know where to access practice exam questions for Worlds of Upheaval?

Thanks!

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #400 on: October 14, 2019, 07:23:05 pm »
+1
Hey,
In prep for HSC, does anyone have any, or know where to access practice exam questions for Worlds of Upheaval?

Thanks!

Hey, Cali.doyle!

I wrote up some original questions in response to another user earlier in the year which you can have a look at in this thread  :D I wrote them as close to the style of HSC questions as I possibly could. Hope they help in your revision and good luck for the exams!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

stellaktenas

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #401 on: October 18, 2019, 05:05:32 pm »
Hey guys,

I am studying Worlds of Upheaval and my teacher advised me to structure like this:

P1: Frankenstein + on themes/ concept 1 to prove thesis eg Feminist reading, Freudian, Power etc
P2: Metropolis + on theme/ concept 1
P3: Related + on theme/  concept 1
P4: Frankenstein + on theme/ concept 2 to prove thesis eg Marxist reading
P5: Metropolis + on theme/ concept 2
P6: Related + on themes/ concept 2

Does everyone think this is okay? I did it in trials and it was fine. However, I'm afraid the markers won't like it if I'm only focussing on 2 in lieu of 3 concepts/themes that I would do for a regular thematic essay.

I was going to do one massive integrated paragraph on form at the end, to go into more detail and link the form/ construction of the text in proving the thesis just for the sake of a third 'concept/point'. But I am linking form throughout, and I think it is repetitive.
Also, I physically cannot write any more!

What has everyone else teachers advised them/ think?

Thank you!
HSC 2019:English Adv. English Ext 1, Modern History, History, Extension, Legal Studies
Clasical Greek

HSC 2018: Modern Greek C [92]

phungies

• Trailblazer
« Reply #402 on: October 19, 2019, 01:04:04 pm »
Hey guys! What would be the best way to prep for the Eng Ext HSC rn? There's so much stuff to remember I'm scared I might have a brain fart in the exam lol.

tafarax

• Adventurer
« Reply #403 on: February 11, 2020, 10:07:35 pm »
Hello, is writing a satirical piece for my Literary Worlds narrative a good idea?

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #404 on: February 12, 2020, 08:22:59 am »
Hello, is writing a satirical piece for my Literary Worlds narrative a good idea?

Hey, tafarax!

I think satire can be pulled off really well if you do the research and think carefully about how you wish to represent your ideas. It really depends on two key things; firstly, you need to still make sure it's driven by the "literary world" you have created. Your satire will need to be heavily setting-focused and have a strong grasp on a sense of place to fulfill the demands of the module. You may use your elective for inspiration and a basis to work with when constructing your fictional place and then allow the humour and irony to all come out of that.

The second thing you'll need to consider is the kind of question you're working with in your assessment and, long term, what you might get in the HSC. Your assessment should give you enough guidelines and direction to work with, along with room for creative freedom to allow your satirical narrative to emerge. In the exams you do, you'll need to tailor your story and prepared material around the unseen stimulus they provide you too so make sure you know your plot well and are flexible enough to adapt it. What were you planning on writing about/exploring? Might give me some more ideas to help you out :)

Angelina  ;D

-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-