Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:28:28 pm

Author Topic: UNSW Co-op Scholarship Program  (Read 38635 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: UNSW Co-op Scholarship Program
« Reply #120 on: September 20, 2018, 06:26:17 pm »
Personal opinion would be to ditch the bit about the internet, but otherwise I like it!

8veFable

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #121 on: September 20, 2018, 10:21:52 pm »
+1

Significant achievement or project: Describe an achievement in the workplace and/or designing, building, programming or creating something. Your example might relate to recent work experience, a part time job or a major non-school based project you have undertaken. You might choose to highlight your creativity; the ability to see alternatives; come up with many varied or original ideas; or willingness to try/learn new things 1250 character limit

Was this music composition for the course Music 1 or Music 2? If so then I am a bit confused since the question is asking for a 'major non-school based project', so I am not sure if I could use my own Music 1 composition for the question.

For peeps on this question I just realised that it has the word 'might':

Your example might relate to recent work experience, a part time job or a major non-school based project you have undertaken.

So it could actually be possible to talk about school-related projects, but it seems that they are leaning towards non-school based ones.  :)

justwannawish

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #122 on: September 22, 2018, 08:12:12 am »
Hey, I was wondering if someone could please look over my responses for actuary? Thank you!!

Explain what it is that most attracts you to the UNSW Co-op Program and the academic field(s) that you have chosen? 750 character limit
Spoiler
My interest in actuarial studies emerges from my love of problem solving, drawing me to a field where I can simultaneously learn and solve challenges in a real-world scenario. But I also valued a strong interpersonal course, with actuarial studies best complementing my interest in maths with the chance to explain complex projects to my clients and improve their satisfaction. I believe the Co-op program’s hands-on work experience and professional development program would enhance my potential, providing me with commercial skills and invaluable networking that is vital for the workplace. The stimulating challenges of co-op scholar would endorse my continual commitment to improvement, best equipping me to become an all-rounded professional.

Learnings: Select one or two activities from either list in Question 1 and tell us the most important things you gained or learned from these activities. 1000 character limit
Spoiler
Debating and public speaking were integral learning opportunities for me, teaching me the importance of having a voice about societal concerns. Through the collaborative discussions endorsed by debating, I learned the importance of critical thinking and cooperation in creating a supportive team environment where we all felt confident in expressing our ideas and adapted to feedback. Committing myself to improving, these lessons were the catalyst for our achievements, including (i had a specific example here but it might reveal my identity too much haha so I’ll add that in afterwards. Hope that’s alright :))

Through the OZCLO linguistics competition, I appreciated the importance of finding new innovative solutions to challenges, strengthening analytical skills in face of setbacks and a high-pressure environment. As a team, we developed our work ethics and organisational skills, with the competition taking place during our exam period. By learning to delegate problems to one another and make calculated risks, we were fortunate enough to achieve (same as above!!)

Personal development: What do you regard as your key strengths and areas for improvement? 1000 character limit
Spoiler
I am proud of my dedication and commitment, always willing to put all my energy into making sure everything is to a consistently high standard. My drive to get things done often encourages others to perform at their best as well. But I try to remain conscious of everyone’s opinions and enjoy collaborating with different people to express many different opinions and gain a group consensus. I also possess a creative mind and can adapt to different situations and personalities as required, always looking for opportunities for improvement. I am willing to challenge myself and always desire to persevere through the rigours of each job. However, while I always have respected a deadline, I have struggled with my perfectionist nature, which has led me to spend too long on tasks and take on too much myself. To resolve my focus on redundant details, I am careful to delegate tasks in group projects and set individual deadlines for sections of a project, refocusing on the bigger picture.

Leadership and teamwork: Tell us about a situation where you were effective as a leader and/or or as a team player, e.g. describe how you significantly influenced others, or contributed to the effective operation/successful outcome of a situation or team. 1000 character limit
Spoiler
As a senior SRC member, I oversaw the annual Shave for a Cure fundraiser and directed the passionate committee of student volunteers. To overcome my inexperience and initial lack of direction, I consulted the assistance of previous SRCs members and read through past SWOT analyses to make the event successful. By deconstructing the mechanisms behind successful events and having a vision of our goals, we strengthened our strategic thinking skills and could effectively communicate it to the student body. I also made sure to delegate roles to the other volunteers and always listened to all their suggestions, which allowed us to implement new ideas such as newspaper coverage and a SRC bake-sale. As the leader of this group, it was my responsibility to encourage them to continually do their best and I learned the importance of promoting our team morale through this period. Throughout the entire event, I made sure we could adapt to deadlines, which helped us succeed our initial aims.

Decision making or problem solving: Drawing on your experience or involvement in a part-time job, community or school activity, describe how you overcame a challenging situation and what you learnt from the experience. 1000 character limit
Spoiler
Peer-tutoring a student, who was weak at English, always remains a challenging opportunity to better someone’s life. Dismayed by bad marks, this student had given up on improving and his teachers’ advice, initially reluctant to attend peer tutoring. Unsure of how to change his attitude, I decided to ask him his weaknesses, explaining the foundations of essay-writing and each module comprehensively. Setting up small improvement targets, our shared rapport increased his confidence, showing me practice essays throughout the year. Working collaboratively to overcome his previous mistakes, he became more receptive to the offered feedback and started to actively participate in class discussions. This was a monumental experience for me, making me appreciative of the need to coherently express my ideas to each individual. Seeing him exceed his personal best throughout the year was very rewarding, and it was a privilege for me to aid him establish his goals.

Significant achievement or project: Describe an achievement in the workplace and/or designing, building, programming or creating something. You might choose to highlight your creativity; the ability to see alternatives; come up with many varied or original ideas; or willingness to try/learn new things 1250 character limit
Spoiler
During my role as an SRC member and school captain, I focused on reframing my school’s competitive nature towards academics, wanting students to be recognised for more than their marks. I had always been dismayed at how many of my peers defined themselves by their results, and the limited transparent support available, leading a committee to fix this attitude. After much consultation from the school community, we firstly introduced a male school counsellor, desiring to change the hypermasculine belief that boys should not expose their struggles. We then introduced ‘R U OK’ mentors for senior students and a lunchtime support group, both providing valuable rapport about mental health issues and student concerns within the school community. All these projects required approval by the school council and SRC, and I often liaised between these bodies, which strengthened my communication and consulting skills through forums, surveys and assembly announcements. This project also taught me the value of delegation, which improved productivity and allowed everyone to play an active role in such a vital issue. And I would love to continue my commitment to improving someone’s life by consulting with clients on projects that better their life.

After graduation: What sort of graduate position do you imagine yourself in after university? 750 character limit
Spoiler
My main goal is to adhere to the standards of conduct of a professional actuary, wanting to both be challenged and met expectations. I would ideally like to work with risk and analysis in the role of an actuarial analyst in healthcare. Ultimately desiring to work for organisations like HCF, Bupa or even governmental health systems, like Medicare, I believe this opportunity to give someone the fairest access to care is both a vital and meaningful vocation. I am also interested in modelling big-data to find a personalised solution and encourage engagement between clients and investors. I believe this would enable me to uncover previously hidden links in data, identifying the connections that complete the picture in a fully productive role.

Personal qualities: Why should you be selected as a UNSW Co-op Program scholar? Describe the personal qualities and values that differentiate you and that you would bring to the UNSW Co-op Program. 1000 character limit
Spoiler
I believe I would make a strong Co-op scholar and would thrive in the demanding but supportive environment in front of me. As a self-motivated, conscientious student, I enjoy working both independently and in a team environment, eager to learn from and represent other people’s opinions. I am willing to take risks and challenge myself for other people to enjoy it, having a resilient attitude that encapsulates itself in everything I do. I adore persevering through challenges and working to a resolution, with my commitment to improving myself through learning complementing the rigours of the actuary field. My interest in lifelong learning and strong interpersonal skills would allow me to give personalised support to others, my work ethic and passion supplementing my future goals. The invigorating nature of the course would be extremely rewarding, allowing me to simultaneously learn and apply my knowledge to real-world scenarios, which is something I have always desired in my future. 

Thank you so much once again!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #123 on: September 22, 2018, 10:50:25 am »
+1
^^ Looks great jww, on a skim I think you come across as super genuine and super passionate, good stuff ;D

justwannawish

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #124 on: September 22, 2018, 10:09:47 pm »
+1
^^ Looks great jww, on a skim I think you come across as super genuine and super passionate, good stuff ;D

Thank you :D
Just for the last question, I'm not sure what really makes me different from any other candidate. The only thing I can think of is that I do both Ext 2 English and Maths, and that's not that common? But I'm not sure whether I should put that in there or what it actually reflects.

Any help ;D?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 05:18:59 pm by justwannawish »

fkkiwi

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #125 on: September 24, 2018, 07:16:16 pm »
Hey Jamon,

Would I be able to send you my responses to the Co-op questions for a quick review?
HSC 2018: | English Advanced (91) | Extension 1 Maths (93) | Extension 2 Maths (86) | Physics (90) | Chemistry (92) | Studies of Religion 1 (47) |  ATAR: 98.70

2019: B. Eng (Hons) (Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering) / Computer Science @UNSW

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #126 on: September 24, 2018, 08:35:29 pm »
Hey Jamon,

Would I be able to send you my responses to the Co-op questions for a quick review?

Sure! Feel free to pop them up in here and I'll skim them (as others have done, you might prefer to cut out any identifying info!) :)

8veFable

• Adventurer
« Reply #127 on: September 25, 2018, 12:24:21 pm »
Hi!

I was wondering for the question:

Personal development: What do you regard as your key strengths and areas for improvement? 1000 character limit

Would you tackle it by splitting it into two even paragraphs of strength and areas of improvement? Or would you unevenly tackle by focusing more on strengths and less on the area of improvement?

I myself am doing am attempting an even spread but I notice some peeps doing it unevenly I think? :O

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #128 on: September 25, 2018, 06:34:20 pm »
Hi!
I was wondering for the question:

Would you tackle it by splitting it into two even paragraphs of strength and areas of improvement? Or would you unevenly tackle by focusing more on strengths and less on the area of improvement?

I myself am doing am attempting an even spread but I notice some peeps doing it unevenly I think? :O

It doesn't matter! Whichever feels right - A genuine reflection on places you could improve is definitely not a bad thing, you've got the whole application to sell yourself :)

fkkiwi

• Forum Regular
« Reply #129 on: September 25, 2018, 07:39:20 pm »
Hey Jamon,

I've attached a Word doc with my application responses below if that's alright.

Thanks so much!
HSC 2018: | English Advanced (91) | Extension 1 Maths (93) | Extension 2 Maths (86) | Physics (90) | Chemistry (92) | Studies of Religion 1 (47) |  ATAR: 98.70

2019: B. Eng (Hons) (Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering) / Computer Science @UNSW

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #130 on: September 25, 2018, 09:27:44 pm »
+1
Hey Jamon,

I've attached a Word doc with my application responses below if that's alright.

Thanks so much!

I think this works well! I like your strengths and weaknesses answer a lot. I think you would be better adapting your paragraph on the reactor to focus on the non-school based elements of it, they are looking for "a major non-school based project." I was going to say to change the one for the challenging situation too, but I actually like your unique choice there - So I think it works (but do know, it isn't the sort of thing they'd be expecting) :)

fkkiwi

• Forum Regular
« Reply #131 on: September 25, 2018, 09:46:30 pm »
I think this works well! I like your strengths and weaknesses answer a lot. I think you would be better adapting your paragraph on the reactor to focus on the non-school based elements of it, they are looking for "a major non-school based project." I was going to say to change the one for the challenging situation too, but I actually like your unique choice there - So I think it works (but do know, it isn't the sort of thing they'd be expecting) :)

Hi Jamon!

Cheers for the feedback! Will make edits on it and show it to my careers advisor.

When you say it's not what they'd be expecting, what do you mean by that?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #132 on: September 25, 2018, 09:52:36 pm »
+1
When you say it's not what they'd be expecting, what do you mean by that?

I mean when they read that your challenge was picking your school, that won't be what they expect. They'll expect an annoying group project, or a challenge at work, or something.

When you do something unexpected, it attracts attention, and you never quite know which way it will go. But as I said, I think it works, and as I've said a heap of times in this thread - How you write in these things doesn't matter all that much anyway. There aren't good applications, there are good applicants - And a competitive applicant would need to do something pretty crap in their application to not get picked for an interview :)

fkkiwi

• Forum Regular
« Reply #133 on: September 25, 2018, 10:03:20 pm »
I mean when they read that your challenge was picking your school, that won't be what they expect. They'll expect an annoying group project, or a challenge at work, or something.

When you do something unexpected, it attracts attention, and you never quite know which way it will go. But as I said, I think it works, and as I've said a heap of times in this thread - How you write in these things doesn't matter all that much anyway. There aren't good applications, there are good applicants - And a competitive applicant would need to do something pretty crap in their application to not get picked for an interview :)

Ahh yeah that's fair enough!

And yeah, that's a good piece of advice about applications vs applicants!

Cheers again for the review Jamon :)

8veFable

• Adventurer
« Reply #134 on: September 26, 2018, 05:01:34 pm »
Thank you :D
Just for the last question, I'm not sure what really makes me different from any other candidate. The only thing I can think of is that I do both Ext 2 English and Maths, and that's not that common? But I'm not sure whether I should put that in there or what it actually reflects.

Any help ;D?

I'm also wondering how to answer this part of the question: Describe the personal qualities and values that differentiate you and that you would bring to the UNSW Co-op Program.

I presume listing personal qualities and values might not be enough? :O