Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:56:06 pm

Author Topic: USyd or UTS? Help!  (Read 7206 times)

diesxel

• Forum Regular
  • sow the seeds, reap the rewards ❊
  • Respect: +5
USyd or UTS? Help!
« on: January 20, 2018, 01:58:47 pm »
Currently stuck in a major dilemma and have to decide soon:

Background: I finished my HSC in 2017 with an ATAR of 97.25, and it has always been my dream to study Arts/Law at USyd (like Emily the English Queen). But the cut-off is of course really high (99.5) so I didn't make it even with my EAS application.

Given what happened, I had given up on USyd and decided to go to UTS to study Law/Communications (in either Journalism or Social and Political sciences). Although this wasn't ideal, at least I got to do Law, right? But then, I got accepted into the Dalyell Scholars scheme at USyd, which is basically a program that offers acceleration and enrichment opportunities, academic mentoring, and a global mobility scholarship which is awesome to go on exchange!

Dilemma:
Now I'm faced with two options, I can either start at USyd (with Dalyell) in the Bachelor of Arts/Advanced Studies and try to transfer after one year into Arts/Law, while working my butt off to try and get an 80~ WAM (what I need to be competitive enough to transfer into combined law). So this way I get to experience Dalyell, and maybe get a shot at my dream degree, though of course there is no guarantee I will actually make it, which is scary. And I have read that graduating with Usyd law guarantees more employability (I aim to work in humanitarian law, like immigration, human rights etc.)

OR

I can just start Law/Communications at UTS and see how I go, and leave  Usyd behind. I know I can try to transfer externally into Usyd law after a year at UTS, but I will lose the Dalyell Scholars opportunity, so I think I might as well just finish the double degree at UTS.

Thoughts or suggestions? I honestly don't know what to do or pick!

Any help is appreciated!!
HSC 2017 ATAR 97.25 English Advanced (92)- Modern History (89) - Business Studies (93) - Biology (96) - English Extension 1 (47/50) - English Extension 2

Don't stop when you're tired, stop when you're done.

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
Re: USyd or UTS? Help!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 02:04:38 pm »
+4
Currently stuck in a major dilemma and have to decide soon:

Background: I finished my HSC in 2017 with an ATAR of 97.25, and it has always been my dream to study Arts/Law at USyd (like Emily the English Queen). But the cut-off is of course really high (99.5) so I didn't make it even with my EAS application.

Given what happened, I had given up on USyd and decided to go to UTS to study Law/Communications (in either Journalism or Social and Political sciences). Although this wasn't ideal, at least I got to do Law, right? But then, I got accepted into the Dalyell Scholars scheme at USyd, which is basically a program that offers acceleration and enrichment opportunities, academic mentoring, and a global mobility scholarship which is awesome to go on exchange!

Dilemma:
Now I'm faced with two options, I can either start at USyd (with Dalyell) in the Bachelor of Arts/Advanced Studies and try to transfer after one year into Arts/Law, while working my butt off to try and get an 80~ WAM (what I need to be competitive enough to transfer into combined law). So this way I get to experience Dalyell, and maybe get a shot at my dream degree, though of course there is no guarantee I will actually make it, which is scary. And I have read that graduating with Usyd law guarantees more employability (I aim to work in humanitarian law, like immigration, human rights etc.)

OR

I can just start Law/Communications at UTS and see how I go, and leave  Usyd behind. I know I can try to transfer externally into Usyd law after a year at UTS, but I will lose the Dalyell Scholars opportunity, so I think I might as well just finish the double degree at UTS.

Thoughts or suggestions? I honestly don't know what to do or pick!

Any help is appreciated!!

From what you’ve wrote, seems like you’re leaning towards USyd :) in general, transferring internally is easier than externally. Congrats on getting the Dalyell scheme!
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: USyd or UTS? Help!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 03:41:52 pm »
+4
Here's how I view it - You've got a dream. But you need to decide whether that dream is:

- Studying Law and working in the area of humanitarian law, full stop.
- Studying Law at the University of Sydney

There's no correct answer here - Universities mean different things to different people, they are symbols, and they certainly should play a role in your decision.

However, if you have a career path in mind and that is your dream, then I'd go UTS. Imagine how bummed you'd be if you didn't get that 80 WAM and you couldn't study Law?

(The UTS speaker we had for lectures this week was talking to someone about this exact thing, and mentioned a friend of his facing a very similar dilemma. They opted for the 'more prestigious' uni and the shot at an internal transfer, but didn't get there. Now they are stuck at their dream institution, but not doing their dream degree.)

For me, I think what you are learning is more important than where you learn it. However, if USYD is part of the dream you have for yourself, more than just a mechanism for the dream itself, then absolutely go for it. Ultimately, you'll be at a great uni either way, learning valuable stuff either way. Win win :)